Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips?

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #11  
My tip would be, if you have any crescent wrenches, throw them away.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #12  
1. Not much room to start a nut?...put some grease in your socket or box wrench and push the nut into the grease... it will hold the nut from falling out until you get it into position. You can also put a glob of grease on the end of one finger and set the nut in it so you can stick your finger (and nut) into the tight position where it needs to go.

2. Need some extra leverage on a box/open end combination wrench? Couple the box end of a larger wrench with the open end of the wrench you are using, and it gives you aditional length and leverage.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #13  
Billy_S said:

well if ya follow that advice ya will be missing out on a usefull tool. they are not suposed to replace a set of wrenches but they are perfect for square nuts and pipe plugs, and things like brass pipe fittings. i also find them handy for when things need to be bent or tweaked. i have alot of adjustables, from 2 inch up to 2 foot, all of them are handy and i wouldnt want to be without them but i rarely use them on ordinary hex nuts and bolts unless its the only tool available

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #14  
Don't buy those cheap imported wrench sets.......I know they look real nice and they are 1/3 the price......but don't do it.

We all are tempted. I fell in the trap one time in my younger days, a set of combinations from 1/4 to 1 1/4......real pretty and dirt cheap. I knew better, and really didn't need them, but they glittered so enticingly. A moment of weakness and bad judgement.

I gave the whole set to a poor schmuck aquaintance that has never owned a decent tool in his life. He was as happy as a pig in poop.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #15  
Every toolbox needs a crescent wrench.My advice is spend 10 bucks more and buy the one that has crescent printed on the sides.Its the best plumbing tool you will ever use.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #16  
Billy_S said:

Please throw them my direction!!!! Thanks!!!! :)

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #17  
On crescents - one of the priceless uses for me is to use two of them crossed to straighten twisted metal. I have high quality small ones for conventional use, but got some cheap big ones for metal manipulation. The big ones can open wide enuf to allow clasping heavy shim plates against the workpiece to distribute contact wherever needed.
Larry

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #18  
dieselsmoke1 said:
Don't buy those cheap imported wrench sets.......I know they look real nice and they are 1/3 the price......but don't do it.

We all are tempted. I fell in the trap one time in my younger days, a set of combinations from 1/4 to 1 1/4......real pretty and dirt cheap. I knew better, and really didn't need them, but they glittered so enticingly. A moment of weakness and bad judgement.

I gave the whole set to a poor schmuck aquaintance that has never owned a decent tool in his life. He was as happy as a pig in poop.

What did you find wrong with them? I have been using a set like that for several years, with no problem.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #19  
Tip:
If you ever have to drill a hole in a round rod and the bit is walking on the workpiece take a file and file just a small section smooth.

Today I was building a bucket level indicator and had a 3/8" steel rod that I was trying to drill a 1/8" hole in for a cotter pin. The bit kept wanting to walk away so I filed a small section (barely even enough to scrape the surface but made it just slightly out of round) and it worked fine.

On the cheap tool debate: I agree cheap tools are junk, get a good set and you'll be ahead. That being said I have a set of 1/4"-3/4" open end wrenches from Proto (needed a set while out of town one night) and honestly they have been through **** and they're still as good as when I bought them. However I have a few Craftsman sets and a Snap-On set that I prefer.

On the crescent wrnech debate: I have a 15" and 12" Snap-On Blu-point that I can't stand. I also have a big cheapy for "tweaking projects" that gets abused. The best advice I have on them, don't use them for anything real tight unless you have a real good grip on it, a box or open end wrench is better, but crescents do have their place. As for brands, go to auctions and yard sales and try and find an older one that says "Diamond," "Fuller," Williams," "Crescent" or an old Craftsman. Those seem to be better than what you can find today on the shelf.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #20  
RalphVa said:
Busted boot over a constant velocity joint? Just remove the old one by cutting the clamps and cutting it off. Then cut new one very carefully down one side; one side usually has a seam; cut along it. Put in place by sliding over shafts through cut opening. Then super glue the surfaces back together, using a super glue that'll set fairly quickly. Put clamps on the each side of the boot over the 2 opposing shafts. Drive away. Did this on a 220D Benz once. Sold it that way. Boot was still holding.
Ralph

This was devoloped over 20 years ago as the Quick Boot.

Trying to loosen fittings or a nut on a short bolt? Use two end wrenches and clock them so that you can squeeze them with one hand. Especially good on tubing fittings.