Replacing trailer deck...with what?

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #1  

97exc

Have a 5 x 10 utility trailer, existing 2 x 6 wood deck is splitting badly. I think its old pressure-treated lumber, not totally sure. Anyway, I took it all out to paint the trailer and now would be a good time to replace it with new. I live in Colorado, the trailer stays outside most of the time, sometimes tarped. Its used to haul lawn equipment, ATV, snowmobile, etc the majority of the time. I have loaded it down with organic materials and will probably haul some sod and rock at times.

Based on these uses, what do you suggest as far as replacement decking?

Last edited:
   / Replacing trailer deck...with what? #2  
I just re did my 5 x 8 trailer I use for hauling around a riding mower. (actually 5'4" x 8' deck). It uses 5/8" marine grade plywood for a deck. That's more than enough for hauling small stuff. On mine, two sheets of plywood were cut 32" wide, laid in the frame and bolted with carriage bolts.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #4  
i'd go back with 2x6 pt, then paint it with black asphalt paint. should last a looong time.

if you moved heavy stuff.. I'd lay a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood in it and screw down after painting both sides and the deck.

really spreads the weight around.

soundguy

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #5  
i've used 5/8" plywood (was free) on a snowmobile trailer i built where the supports were 2' apart, but eventually it sagged between the supports. guess that's why the ones you buy all seem to use 3/4". i'm going to build a 5~ish x 10' utility trailer soon, and i've been planning on using 5/4 pt decking. it's pretty strong for anything i would be putting on the trailer, though it's probably not any cheaper than actually using 2x6 pt as has been suggested.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #6  
I would go back with PT lumber also.

Chris

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #8  
I agree with 2x6 or 2x8 treated lumber.

It may well be that what you had originally was not treated. I know many of the builders skimp and don't use treated lumber. :confused:

I've replaced decks on two trailers like yours in the past few years.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #9  
Many of the newer utilities are showing up with Trex. The artificial boards would be quite expensive. They don't seem to be any lighter in weight either. Just sayin'.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #10  
Wouldn't rough cut hemlock be far cheaper, stronger and durable than PT? PT is brittle stuff and cracks, splinters, easily.