Replacing trailer deck...with what?

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #11  
Wouldn't rough cut hemlock be far cheaper, stronger and durable than PT? PT is brittle stuff and cracks, splinters, easily.

The PT around here is southern yellow pine ("SYP"), a soft wood. I've never seen it "brittle" or cracking.

I can get 1" hemlock barn siding, but I've never seen 2" around here.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #12  
I would go with treated lumber & coat it with a water repellent once a year (after it dries). I've done this on my 16' & it's lasted for many years! ~~ grnspot110

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #13  
Top quality builders around here use rough saw oak for trailer decks. We have a local saw mill and can get it but its quite expensive. Its not something you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. For the majority of us PT lumber from a box store will do the job for 15 years or so if taken care of.

Chris

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #14  
Top quality builders around here use rough saw oak for trailer decks.

White oak or red oak? White is supposed to be more rot resistant. It would be excellent for a trailer, if you can find it.

Ken

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #15  
The PT around here is southern yellow pine ("SYP"), a soft wood. I've never seen it "brittle" or cracking.

I can get 1" hemlock barn siding, but I've never seen 2" around here.

It is SYP here to and strikes me in no way as being as durable when it comes to anything other than being walked on. Anyone who saws lumber can get you the 2". It also will provide better traction.

In the case of a trailer deck, it too will last for years because it doesn't stay wet.

But, it's your trailer!

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #16  
I know 2" rough swan white oak is popular for trailer decks.

But if you dont have any band mills near buy that can supply it.... 2x treated from a box store should last another 10-15 years or more

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #17  
White oak or red oak? White is supposed to be more rot resistant. It would be excellent for a trailer, if you can find it.

Ken

I am not sure. I am pretty sure it was white though. I know one guy who used it and it was twice as much as PT lumber.

Chris

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #18  
If it is just a 5x10, I use the marine plywood. That will be expensive enough. There is no sense in getting carried away, unless your going to put an excavator on it.

I hold it down with urethane construction adhesive, and a few screws on the ends.

A light annual coat, of SW Deckscapes, oil based waterproofing toner, and it should be serviceable for a long time.

If you have areas your concerned about spanning with plywood, add some supports.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #19  
I'd love to have White Oak for a trailer floor...the WO has closed pores where the red oak is open..that is why WO was prized for shipbuilding.
But PT SYP has served me well for many years..the deck I built with it on my house has been holding up for over 25 years. Never had a thing done to it.

Seems to me the artificial deck wood has little strength necessitating a whole lot more support under it.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #20  
They use presure treated 2x pine, from the factory. I'd buy #2 grade or better.