Replacing trailer deck...with what?

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #21  
I agree with 2x6 or 2x8 treated lumber.

It may well be that what you had originally was not treated. I know many of the builders skimp and don't use treated lumber. :confused:

I've replaced decks on two trailers like yours in the past few years.

ditto that.. the car hauler I had had white wood pine as the deck.. it rotted in 2ys. the pt I put down 8 ys ago is still good...

soudnguy

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #22  
Wouldn't rough cut hemlock be far cheaper, stronger and durable than PT? PT is brittle stuff and cracks, splinters, easily.

just make sure the deck area is made for rough cut lumber.. IE.. if there is a chasnnel boards slip in to.. check to see if it was made for finish lumber..

soundguy

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #23  
Trex boards are nowhere near as strong a 2X lumber. So the supports have to be closer underneath.

I'd just use kiln dried high grade 2X6 or 2X8. If you use good, clear and dry lumber it will last a very long time and carry anything you can put in there. PT is usually low grade stuff that is mainly for ground contact under walls and stuff. Not much need for the poison as it's off the ground.

Plywood works well too if thick enough. But seal the edges before installation and paint it occasionally. Plywood that says "marine grade" will be MUCH more expensive. If you use an AB grade, or two layers of thin ply 1/2 inch with construction adhesive between them, and the A sides out, it would be nice.

/ Replacing trailer deck...with what? #24  
I recommend using PT and painting it. Thats what we used on an equipment trailer we built in 1987 and its still in great shape!