Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #1  

BRMyers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3560HSTC
I have never heard of this before and I didn't have to do this when I bought my tractor.

A fellow co-worker has been looking at several tractors and decided on a John Deere. He paid for it, along with several attachments. The dealer told him before they could deliver it that he had to stop by the dealership and take a tractor operator test and pass, then they would deliver the tractor.

I told him to go in and flunk it on purpose and see what they do because I have never heard of such a thing. I'm planning on finding out tomorrow what this 'test' was like.

Didn't know if anyone else had ever heard of such a thing?

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #3  
Never heard of it, what dealer was it and what tractor? I am assuming it is in our neck of the woods.

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor
Only in Illinois I suspect.:laughing:

He actually lives and is buying in Missouri. Although it wouldn't of been as shocking to me if it was in Illinois.

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor
Never heard of it, what dealer was it and what tractor? I am assuming it is in our neck of the woods.

I believe it is a John Deere 4052R open station (we talked about so many different models).

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #6  
I suspect a big part of your co-workers test is general maintenance and operating instructions like how to change the muffler bearings, fill the headlight fluid, how to avoid running over jack-a-lopes, how to remove a snipe that gets sucked into the intake, etc....

He should take the test ASAP because it's only given once a month on the 2nd Tuesday of the 3rd week.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #7  
We may laugh but it is a little scary what people can buy and have absolutely no idea what they're doing..!

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #8  
I think somebodies leg is being pulled. None of the JD dealers here in Ea WA have such a "test". The local JD dealers will certainly run you thru the operational features - if you ask.

It's no wonder some folks have trouble with tractors. Look how they drive automobiles.

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #9  
I suspect this was just a light hearted, jovial conversation by one person, that was received by the other person as being deadly serious.

It seems it happens all to often.

/ Required John Deere Operator Test before allowed to get a new tractor #10  
I believe it for liability. Anytime I bought a new JD, the delivery driver had to go over the machine with me, which was a bit of a joke.