Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #481  
Awesome stuff. Getting closer to firing it up. Any chance you could make a video of the start-up. I really enjoy hearing a powerful engine running, especially one that has a nice lumpy cam. I had my new mustang out yesterday for the first time this spring. Before I left the driveway, I set the exhaust to track mode so I could hear the throaty exhaust even better. Sure helps make this old man feel younger once again, after a long winter in hibernation.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
I'm getting close to starting it up. Today, I painted the front of the radiator core with Eastwood radiator paint, so you can't see the aluminum core from the front, got it set in place, the top plate bolted down on it, put the fan shroud in place, bolted up, got the new radiator hoses trimmed to length and installed. The cap is really close to the battery, and with it slid to the outside as far as it will go in the tray, you can just get the cap off. Tomorrow, I'm going to pull the battery and see if I can slot the mounting holes maybe 1/4" to 1/2" to move it over and give the cap a little more room. I can't go much more, or the negative terminal will hit the fender. I am also considering putting in an overflow reservoir, but not sure where I can install it. It would have been easy if the filler neck was on the driver's side, but it isn't so I'll see if I can come up with a mounting spot for it.
I was looking at the pictures I posted yesterday, and noticed something I missed when I installed the alternator wire onto the positive cable clamp. The cable clamp broke! So, today pulled the cable off the battery, cut the clamp off and crimped on a new one. It's a good quality solid copper clamp, so it's a better terminal than the lead one that broke.

I got an email back from tech support at Dakota Digital today, and he asked if I would send him the pictures of the broken turn signal handle. I sent them over to him and this evening he sent an email back that he had never seen one break like than and that he was sending me out a new one. That's great, but it means I'd have to take the steering column apart, again. :(
I might leave the broken one in as long as it works and change it next winter, as I'm sure there will be other items that will need to be addressed, as there always are with a project as extensive as this.

Time to watch the news.

IMG_20240305_172652277.jpg
IMG_20240305_172710631.jpg
IMG_20240305_172730760.jpg
IMG_20240304_173724255A.jpg

Got it fired up for the first time in almost 2 years. It started immediately, on the first revolution, I think. Love the EFI for cold starts.
Only had one water leak, I forgot to tighten the clamps on the heater shutoff valve.
Holds good oil pressure, doesn't make any strange noises, and water temp came up to 170°F, although the EFI controller shows the temp going up to 240°F before the thermostat opened. Not sure about why that sending unit is reading so high, though that sensor is at the rear of the passenger side head, and the gauge in the car has it's sensor next to the thermostat. The six blade flex fan I put on it moves a LOT of air, just standing in front of the grille, you can fell the air being pulled in.
I let it run for about 20 minutes at 1800-2000 rpm, so the cam should be happy, and there is virtually no blowby, so the rings appear to be seated. A look around underneath didn't show any oil leaks.
Tried the transmission, and it goes into every gear easily, so the clutch is releasing completely. Speedometer works too.
For some reason the phone didn't pick up sound very well, so I'll try to get another video that captures the sound better. It does sound pretty nasty even though the cam isn't that radical. It's basically a hydraulic version of the 327 350hp L79 cam from the '60s. It has 239° intake and 246° exhaust duration at .050" lift, and .483" intake and .477" exhaust lift with standard 1.5 ration rockers.
The only real problem I have is that the alternator isn't putting out any current. I had it checked out a while back and after the tech replaced a couple components, it was putting out 90 amps, but I had to take it apart and reclock the rear housing because he put it back together 90° off and the output stud was hitting the valve cover. I must have messed something up, so I'll pull it off and take it apart to see what might be the problem. If I can't, I'll take it back to the shop and have him fix it.
There is one other little thing, the in-dash tach doesn't work, so I'll have to look into that too. Hope I don't have to pull out the instrument cluster again. :mad:

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #484  
Sounds GREAT!

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #486  
Awesome. That,s got to be a great feeling of accomplishment. Thanks for posting the start-up. Love the sound of the lumpy cam. Getting there.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #487  
I love that Grrrrr, the sound of music

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #488  
Nice! Sounds good, I bet it smells good too, tge way a car should smell when it’s running. Based on where your sensor is located I’d say that’s normal, the water is circulating through the block before the thermostat opens. When it pops open it should drop down pretty quick.

I pulled the alternator off and took it apart to see if I had messed something up when I reclocked the back cover, but it looked okay to me. I took it back to the shop that had fixed it last fall, it had a bad a bad regulator, and the tech spent over an hour trying to get it to work. It had him stumped after installing a new regulator, brushes, a couple of jumper wires and checking out all the other components. So, I left it and he said he'd ponder what could be the problem and let me know when he got it figured out and fixed. He called the next day and said that the new regulator that he had put in was also bad. Another new one made it work, finally. When I picked it up, he wouldn't take anything for the repair as the original regulator must have been bad too. Brought it back, put it on and fired it up, shows ~14.5 volts now. Finally!
I've been putting off installing the left fender for a while, I hate sheet metal work, and I just knew I would knock at least a little paint off it, no matter how careful I was. And I did, though just a little bit.
Tried to hang the fender on the alignment bolts in the cowl and rad support, but I had mounted to horn and it was hitting the headlight connector, so I took it off and the fender sat down where it should. Started lining up bolt holes and adding shims to get the door gap looking good, and even with the door. The front bolt that joins the bumper/grille filler was a bear, but finally go it in and snugged up. There are two more bolts that join the fender and inner fender, I got the front one close and managed to get a 1/4" bolt in and pulled up close to position, but the rear one, just ahead of the wheel opening was about an inch from it needed to be. I'll save that one for last. With the help of a 2X4, floor jack, pry bar, lineup bar and some adult language, I got the rest of the inner fender bolts around the wheel opening in and snugged up. Amazingly, the ones at the top that bolt it to the inner fender support lined up perfectly and went right in.
Back to the last problem child, er, bolt. The metal pieces were within an 1/8" of together, but the bolt hole was off by about 1/2". So, I used a little right angle, really low profile air drill and drilled an 1/8" hole down through the welded on nut to get the location, then drilled up from the bottom with a 3/8" bit to put the 5/16" bolt in and tightened it up. I also installed the brace rod that supports the bottom of the front fender skirt, then went around and tightened all the other bolts.
There is one other problem bolt, and it's at the top of the fender in the door jamb. The hole in the fender tab is about 1/4" too far forward to get the bolt in, so I'm going to have to get something in there and slot the hole to get the bolt in. Still cogitating on how to do that, there's just not much room to work with.
I installed the headlight trim door which makes a big difference in the looks of the front end. Got the hood hinges bolted onto the fenders too, but haven't put the springs on then yet though.
Another task was to install the new air filter and make up the line and fittings to the filter base from the right valve cover.
Tomorrow after breakfast, my friend Van is going to give me a hand hanging the front bumper. That'll really make it look better.
I haven't figured out what to do about the in-dash tach not working, but IF I can get my hands up behind the instrument cluster and disconnect the cable that goes to it, I can make up a new cable to connect to my classic Sun tach that I can mount on the steering column. Haven't decided on that yet, though.
I'm slowly getting the list of things remaining to do whittled down and not many parts are left to go back on.

Some day, not too far off....

IMG_20240315_161215344.jpg
IMG_20240315_172114909.jpg

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #490  
Hang in there, you are definitely on the home stretch. Your patience and willingness to doing it right is certainly paying off. You will soon be driving your beautiful car around and getting tons of compliments everywhere you go. Cheers