Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
I still had some spray-on undercoating left in a can, so I shot a bunch of it into the bottom of the rear quarter panels for rust prevention. I still have a couple of other places I want to seal up, but I'm going to have to order another can as this one is just about empty.
I had bolted the rear bumper in place, and then tried to screw the license plate light in place, but it wouldn't go in with the rubber bumper/body seal in place. So, I took the bumper back off, mounted the light and cut a section out of the seal where the light mounts, filed out a couple of holes that were a little tight to get the bolts started, and bolted it back up again. Ran the light wire into the trunk, connected it to the harness and turned on the parking lights. And, it works.
I had forgotten to tighten the nuts on the adjuster link on the Cal-Track bars, so I adjusted them up to the right setting and tightened up the nuts. I try to check everything at least twice, just to make sure I don't miss anything.
The rear view mirrors had been laying in a storage bin on the bench, so I decided it was time to put those on now. The passenger's door had the existing holes, but I had to drill new holes in the driver's door as it's new. Got both of them mounted up and that makes a big difference in the side views of the car. Another item checked off the list. (y)
Went up on the storage deck and took a look at a couple of the tires and wheels to see just what condition they're in. It looks like I'm going to have to repaint the rims, as they have some light rust showing around where the rim and the web meet. I'll take the beauty rings off and see if I can sand them down or if I might have to get them blasted and painted or powder coated. They are the Magnum 500 style wheels instead of the Rally wheels and looked really good on the car when it was maroon, not sure how they'll look on a silver car.
I tried the cruise control yesterday, and it sort of works. The indicator light will come on and I can feel it pull the throttle open, but then it disconnects. I think the sudden change in speed with the driveline spinning freely makes it think there is a problem, so it shuts off. It'll probably work when it's on the road. I hope.
Did a little more looking, measuring and sizing up the tailpipe situation, and I think I'll pull the right side one off and test fit the new pipe to see if it's going to fit like I want it to. If it does, great. If not, I have another idea that might work, I'll see what happens.
One other thing made me laugh this afternoon, I was rearranging some stuff on the storage shelves up on the deck, and lo and behold in between a couple of boxes, there was the door hinge spring that got loose and shot off to parts unknown several months ago. I always figured I'd find it eventually, but I had no idea that it would have shot 30 feet away and land up there.

More Power, Scottie!

IMG_20240328_154650577.jpg
IMG_20240328_171918618_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240328_163623906.jpg
IMG_20240328_163655654.jpg
IMG_20240328_212040114.jpg
IMG_20240328_212050985.jpg
IMG_20240328_212815889.jpg
IMG_20240328_173420676.jpg

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #502  
I don't think you should do the vinyl top imo. It looks awesome solid silver . I would put the stripes first and see how you like it and then put the top if you still want it.
Want the vinyl top hold moisture in and cause rust over time? I know every old car I see that had vinyl would be rusted out around the windows. I assume it's from the top trapping water and moisture.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #503  
I,ve had many sets of wheels powder coated, and they have held up really well.
The powder coaters have excellent blasting equipment, and they did a great job cleaning up the wheels perfectly before powder coating them.

I don't think you should do the vinyl top imo. It looks awesome solid silver . I would put the stripes first and see how you like it and then put the top if you still want it.
Want the vinyl top hold moisture in and cause rust over time? I know every old car I see that had vinyl would be rusted out around the windows. I assume it's from the top trapping water and moisture.
Yes, the tops can trap water and lead to rust issues, but that was mainly on older cars like mine that weren't built with any longevity in mind. Newer, and replacement tops can be installed and sealed much better than they were from the factory back in the 70s and 80s, so I don't have any qualms about it. In fact, I asked the installed about that issue, and he said he makes them as water proof as possible, and should be good for many years if properly cared for.
I have pictures of silver Novas with and without black tops, and I I prefer the look with the top, but everyone has their own preferences. Also, I am trying to keep the car fairly original in appearance, and it did leave the factory with silver paint and a black vinyl top. Admittedly, the racing stripes would diverge from that theme, buy I like the looks of them, and if I do them in vinyl, they can be easily removed at any time.

100_2280.JPG
1969nova050.jpg

I,ve had many sets of wheels powder coated, and they have held up really well.
The powder coaters have excellent blasting equipment, and they did a great job cleaning up the wheels perfectly before powder coating them.
I have a local shop that does powder coating, and they have done a lot of items for me, John Deere sheet metal, tool bench, mail box post and some other miscellaneous parts, and they have always done a great job. Years ago, before they opened their shop, I had a shop in Elkhart powder coat the subframe for the Nova, which also looks great.
The only problem with the wheels is that while most of the wheel is argent silver, the areas between the spokes is a satin black, and painting or powder coating those areas involves a lot of masking to get it done correctly. They do make a masking kit, but it is only meant for painting, not heat resistant for powder coating. I'm going to clean the wheels up and see just how good or bad they look, and then decide what to do with them.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #505  
I had a similar wheel on a Challenger I restored years ago. I spray bombed the pockets and just let the overspray go wherever it wanted and then used a Scotch Brite to get the overspray off the spokes. It’s a pain no matter how you do it. The spray bomb paint didn’t hold up that well but I’d touch it up now and then.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #506  
Yes, the tops can trap water and lead to rust issues, but that was mainly on older cars like mine that weren't built with any longevity in mind. Newer, and replacement tops can be installed and sealed much better than they were from the factory back in the 70s and 80s, so I don't have any qualms about it. In fact, I asked the installed about that issue, and he said he makes them as water proof as possible, and should be good for many years if properly cared for.
I have pictures of silver Novas with and without black tops, and I I prefer the look with the top, but everyone has their own preferences. Also, I am trying to keep the car fairly original in appearance, and it did leave the factory with silver paint and a black vinyl top. Admittedly, the racing stripes would diverge from that theme, buy I like the looks of them, and if I do them in vinyl, they can be easily removed at any time.

View attachment 859517View attachment 859518

I have a local shop that does powder coating, and they have done a lot of items for me, John Deere sheet metal, tool bench, mail box post and some other miscellaneous parts, and they have always done a great job. Years ago, before they opened their shop, I had a shop in Elkhart powder coat the subframe for the Nova, which also looks great.
The only problem with the wheels is that while most of the wheel is argent silver, the areas between the spokes is a satin black, and painting or powder coating those areas involves a lot of masking to get it done correctly. They do make a masking kit, but it is only meant for painting, not heat resistant for powder coating. I'm going to clean the wheels up and see just how good or bad they look, and then decide what to do with them.
I'd drool equally over either... ;)

I had a similar wheel on a Challenger I restored years ago. I spray bombed the pockets and just let the overspray go wherever it wanted and then used a Scotch Brite to get the overspray off the spokes. It’s a pain no matter how you do it. The spray bomb paint didn’t hold up that well but I’d touch it up now and then.
Chevy, Chrysler and Ford all used variations of the Magnum wheel.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #508  
Vinyl top? Boo, Hiss. :cool:
Living in rain county I am predisposed to not liking them. But they look fine.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #510  
I like the non vinyl top per OP's pictures above. Mostly becuse it reminds me of my prior 73 stock, plain jane Omega hatchback in solid bright yellow. Back then I liked the color, now don't know. Like the silver, though. Jon