Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
We did get the bumper on today. Initially I had the rear bracket bolts in the wrong holes in the subframe and couldn't get it positioned correctly, but I figured that out. It HAS been over a decade since I took it apart.
I went over to Brian's place this afternoon to help him get his '70 Charger fired up. He took the engine partially apart to find out what cam was in it, and after 1 1/2 years finally got it put back together. It cranked over fine, had fuel and spark, but never fired even once. Turns out he had pulled the distributor when he tore it down, but didn't set the engine to TDC on #1 cylinder when he reinstalled it. To make it more difficult, the timing marks on the 440 are really hard to see, they're almost hidden by the water pump inlet. This is going to be interesting, but I'll get it back in time and running.

IMG_20240316_170211744.jpg

Still getting some things done on the Nova. I repainted the black part of the rear trim plate, then spent an hour laying out the four mounting holes. Measure six times and drill once. Came out very close, only had to file a couple holes out a 32nd of an inch or so to get it to fit snugly against the tail light panel and secured it with the original speed nuts.
Brought down the rear bumper and got it cleaned up. There was some surface rust on the back side, so I sanded that down, gave it a coat of rust reformer and then a coat of stainless steel colored appliance paint. That made it look pretty good, even though no one but me will see it. I searched for the license plate bracket for at least an hour, knew I had seen it somewhere recently, but couldn't find it. Then that evening it came to me, it was on the desk, with a bunch of paperwork. Went down to the shop, and there it was, almost in plain sight. Bolted it and the mounting brackets and installed a couple of 3/8" studs to get it located until I could get a couple of bolts in to hold it in place. It's too close the the fender on the right side, but I think it's because the lower corner is bent in a little. I'm thinking about how to go about pulling that corner out to get more clearance.
Even though they worked initially, I think, the left turn dash indicator isn't working, nor are the rear turn signals when the four way flashers are on. The turn signals in the rear work, but not with the four ways. Not sure why, so I ordered a new turn signal switch assembly, and when it came today, I plugged it into the harness and now the rear lights work with the four ways on. So it looks like the steering column comes apart, again. At least while it's out, I can replace the defective turn signal lever that I jury rigged to work a couple of weeks ago. The turn indicator bulb is a real bear to get to from behind the instrument cluster, but I got it out, checked it, and it was bad. Replaced the bulb and spent an hour with my head under the dash trying to get it back in, finally did, and it still doesn't work. WTF? Looks like the instrument cluster is going to have to come out , again, too. BAH.
I talked to a local guy that does vinyl graphics about putting the racing stripes on, instead of painting them on. That would at least make the easy to remove if a future owner wants to. He can do it, he just needs the measurements so he can order the flat black vinyl and cut them out.
Once the rear bumper is on, I'm going to see about replacing the current tailpipes with the ones I have that exit out the back under the bumper. The current ones exit behind the rear tires and make a lot of noise that comes up through the trunk and floor. Or, I might cut the current ones and make an extension that comes out the back. Gonna have to study that situation.

Time to watch the news.

IMG_20240319_155306292_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240320_164051067_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240322_154851579.jpg
IMG_20240322_170206137.jpg
IMG_20240325_155734876_HDR.jpg

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #493  
Coming along nicely, in spite of the gremlins. What do you have to do with this car in your state to get it legally back on the road, after it has sat for so long ?

Actually, I've kept the car registered and insured all these years as I didn't know just when I'd get it back on the road and I didn' want to lose my vanity plate, so as long as the plate is on it, I'm good to go. I have a 1970 plate a friend gave me, and I can take it and my "Seventy" plate into the BMV and they will issue a new registration that will allow me to run the 1970 plate as long as the other plate is in the car.
Got some things accomplished today. First I was able to get a test light probe up to the trace on the printed circuit where the turn signal indicator plugs in, and it showed there was power there. So, I pulled the turn signal indicator bulb out and sure enough it was bad. I have to admit that while trying to get it reinstalled in the dash, I dropped it and it rolled off my chest, out the door and onto the floor, so that probably broke the filament. Stuck another new bulb into the holder and after more dash rash and blood loss, finally got it reinstalled, and it works. (y)
Then I pulled the steering wheel and removed the turn signal switch assembly and the turn signal lever/cruise control harness. I had shortened the harness down to two feet from the original five feet so I didn't have to deal with a wad of extra cable hanging under the dash, and I used a piece of SS safety wire to feed it down the steering column. I installed the connector shell on the cable end and plugged it into the cruise control harness. The turn signal switch wires are run through a plastic condiut that runs down the steering column, and I switched that to the new switch, and after a lot of pushing, pulling and wiggling finally got it all the way through and connected to the car's harness. After that, everything went back together pretty well, and a test showed the rear lights flash when the four ways are on. Mission accomplished.
Tomorrow, I my try to test the cruise control. With the car up in the air, the wheels off and the rear rotors bolted to the axle flanges, I can put it in 5th gear and bring the RPM up so the speedo shows 40 MPH or so and engage it. If the indicator light comes on and it holds the speed constant, it would pass the test. We'll see if it does.

Onward and upward!

IMG_20240326_155925294.jpg

Last edited:
   / Restarting My '70 Nova Project #496  
When you finish this nova you'll be able to assemble gm tilt columns with your eyes closed! Don't give up your almost at the finish line. Nice job!!

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #497  
Looking great. I had one of my cars out yesterday after the long winter nap, and it sure helps make an old fella feel much younger again. Is this your priority project now, or have you got other stuff that is going to slow you down on this project ? Looks like you are getting very close to the finish line. I wouldn,t be able to sleep if I was in your shoes, knowing I was so close, but still couldn,t enjoy it, now that the warm weather is just around the corner. LOL

I like the lighting in that photo. (y)

It didn't look that great when I took it, but with the work light hanging over the column and the phone's flash, I was surprised how well it came out.

When you finish this nova you'll be able to assemble gm tilt columns with your eyes closed! Don't give up your almost at the finish line. Nice job!!

Yep, it didn't take that long to do the job this time, and I knew every tool I needed to do it, so fewer trips to the tool box. But, it's not a tilt column, just a regular fixed one.

Looking great. I had one of my cars out yesterday after the long winter nap, and it sure helps make an old fella feel much younger again. Is this your priority project now, or have you got other stuff that is going to slow you down on this project ? Looks like you are getting very close to the finish line. I wouldn,t be able to sleep if I was in your shoes, knowing I was so close, but still couldn,t enjoy it, now that the warm weather is just around the corner. LOL

Yes, this is my primary project for now. The biggest steps to be finished up are fitting the rear bumper, changing the tail pipes, getting the trunk lid properly aligned, getting the hood on and aligned, cleaning up and installing the wheel and tires, racing stripes, vinyl roof installation and front and rear glass and trim installation.
I have a few more projects in the pipeline when the car is finished up (actually, a car project is never really finished, is it?), including a Radio Flyer wagon restoration, a Schwinn kid's bike restoration, JD mower deck rebuild, and repaint/powder coat the sheet metal and mower deck on my BX2230.
Yes, I'm really looking forward to getting the Nova out, on the road and going to cruise-in events. But, when it's ready, it's ready, and I'm not going to rush the job. It's been over 10 years since I last drove it, a little longer isn't a big deal.
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Let's just hurry up a little and get MY car done. Local car cruises start in 5 weeks here and I want to pick it up.
May 2nd is the first local cruise-in here, don't think I'll make it by then.