Rollover plow, two bottoms

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms #11  
I've an old a edwards 2 bottom 14 inch plow that used to hook to ford 8n or 800 I think. It had a hydraulic ram that flipped it. I called the manufactuerer and no parts are available so I thought I'd cut the top gang off and make another 2 bottom just for gardens and smaller fields. I only gave $35 for it. It's big and heavy. bjr

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms
atgreene said:
I was wondering why you wanted a roll-over plow? Just like them? I've never run one but have run a lot of regular 2 bottom plows. Mostly Dearborn and IH. Granted, the roll-over is nice so you can run right back down the same row, but we always split the field and rolled in, or just backed back down the row and made another pass.

Back in the early 60's, I lived on a farm at Hereford, Texas.
We had two 4020 John Deeres and two 3 bottom rollover plows.
Somewhere on the farm (2 sections) we were breaking something every year.

I just loved watching the plows and smelling the fresh turned dirt.

Other than that, I have no particular reason for wanting a rollover other than the fact that I do.
:)

I know that this type of plowing is not used much anymore but in my case, I have 10 acres of land and I actually have a crop on 7 acres of it farmed by a "real" farmer. ;)

I built my home on the other three and I have a rather large garden.

Last year, I wanted to break the garden to try and improve the crop.
My farmer came in with a huge John Deere and a 6 bottom rollover and plowed it for me.
It was kind of comical in that he had to back in and drag out, there was no room to turn around.
The whole time he was plowing I was wishing for a small 2 bottom rollover so I could plow it myself and thinking along those lines, I thought there might be other people that would pay me to plow their small acreage.

If I only had a plow...

Now you know why I want a rollover.

other than the fact that I'm kinda dumb that way. ;)

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms #13  
I'm with ya, bought a double bottom IH 16" for the same reason.:)

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms #14  
Country boy just has to plow, nothing else to take the place of the smell of fresh turned ground.

Attachments

• Plown11 (Small).JPG
    Plown11 (Small).JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSCF0489 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0489 (Small).JPG
    93 KB · Views: 960
   / Rollover plow, two bottoms #15  
Allen,

Nothing wrong with just wanting. Life is short, and as long as you're not knocking over the local 7-11 to fund it, you should get it!

So, the guy who posted the pics of the Yanmar pulling the 1 bottom roll over is a member called DEANBRO. His profile says he lives in the U.K and is a compact tractor salesman. I would email him and ask him about brand/vendor/exporter of his plow. If it's a product made in western europe there's a good chance it's sold here by someone! Also since the guy is in the business he probably knows a little bit more about manufactor or exporter than the average guy off the street would know.

Good luck, let us know.

MFL

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms
I sent Deanbro a PM.
maybe he'll drop by

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms #17  
Hi there,
apoligies for delay, been out of the country, anyway the small plough on my tractor is Italian.
The company is : Aldo Biagioli & Figli
Here's a weblink: Aldo Biagioli & Figli

Mine is a manual turn over, but they now do a hydraulic turn over with a small ram fitted to plug in to your remotes.

This would go on a small 12 to 14hp no problem, i also have a 2 bottom conventional made by the same people, ideally suited to a 25hp tractor, having said that i've had it on my yanmar 186 18hp no probs.

Another peice of kit i recently bought to compliment it is a lightweight 5' power harrow with a cage crumbler roll which knocks the top off a treat and levels with the rear roll leaving a seed bed good enough to roll out turf.

Heres a weblink :R2 - Macchine per l'agricoltura e florovivaismo

You will find most of your cultivation attachments made for compact tractors come out of Italy , if you think that a typical farm may be only 20-30 acres you can see why there are dozens of different manufacturers making stuff for compacts rather than full size tractors.

If you ever get chance to get over to europe, theres a show every year in november called the Eima Show where you would see acres and acres of compact tractor attachments....never seen before in the US...

If you need any further help or info or looking for a particular attachment, let me know and i'll point you in the right direction,

I'll try and post some more pics on some other stuff i think you'll find of interest
Regards................

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms #19  
allen in texas said:
Dang, I was hoping you guys would tell me a vender. :)

Do you ever want something you don't really need?
I don't really need a plow like this. I just want it so bad I can taste it.

Someone else here said it on a "help me justify..." thread.

"I want, therefore I buy."

JD has a reversible plow that can be had in a 2 bottom but it's way expensive to plow an acre or so. :)
John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 975 Reversible Plow

Gee, plow fever must be going around.

I just bought a nice IH #8 double-bottom trailer-type trip plow. Gonna pull it with my 1964 MF-135 diesel and do some hayin' later this year.

Of course, in my case it's a matter of need rather than want (ha, ha).

/ Rollover plow, two bottoms #20  
If you are in country that gets enough rainfall to water the crop then a "rollover" plow is not a necessity. Standard plows that many of you are talking about leave a dead furrow somewhere in the field. That makes it extremely difficult to water the crop if you are using siphon irrigation.

With a two way plow, you can start at the top of the field and plow across the furrows. You leave no dead furrow until you get to the bottom of the field. The water then wastes off down there and the dead furrow is not a problem.

I have been looking for months for anyone who carries and sells used two way plows. I never used the word rollover in my search and perhaps that is what I need to do.

There is a fellow up the road from me that has an old Ford 1 bottom two way plow....that I would like to buy. He is asking $250 for it. I have held off because basically I am a tightwad. It is complete with all the colter wheels and the trash shovels that go in front of the wheels.

Not trying to say good better or best....but out in my neck of the woods, anyone trying to sell a plow that is not two way....would probably get a better price cutting it up for scrap iron. I am 50+ and had never seen anyone plowing with a regular plow until I went back to Michigan.