RTV 500 vs RTV 900

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900
Well after sleepless nights and obsessing over this purchase (I'm sure no one else has ever been tortured like this, right?) I ordered a 900 today. Ended up with the S package, alloy rims, dump bed, hard roof, rear work light, front/rear hitches, the whole nine yards. Figured hey, you only live once and with 0%, what's an extra $75 a month (over a 500).

Should be delivered next week.

For what it's worth, since I already have an ATV, I figured I could sacrafice any nimblemness for the bigger engine.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #12  
Well after sleepless nights and obsessing over this purchase (I'm sure no one else has ever been tortured like this, right?) I ordered a 900 today. Ended up with the S package, alloy rims, dump bed, hard roof, rear work light, front/rear hitches, the whole nine yards. Figured hey, you only live once and with 0%, what's an extra $75 a month (over a 500).

Should be delivered next week.

For what it's worth, since I already have an ATV, I figured I could sacrafice any nimblemness for the bigger engine.

Congrats...We want to see pictures when it arrives:thumbsup:

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #13  
Interesting thread. :eek::):eek: I have a RTV1140 and guess I've had it for about 6 years. Wife, me and grands love it. Just bought 21 acres of wooded mountain with some trails behind me. Figure wife and grands will be up there with RTV1140 when I get home. Guess I could ride my B2650 up to find them but another RTV would be better. I'm looking at a used one owner X900 750 hours that was a trade in toward a RTV1140 also looking at new 400 and 500. Not sure about the belt drive on the 400 but most at the dealership are hot for the 400. 500 about a thousand more than the 400. I want smaller but the 900 is only about 4" wider and 10" longer than the 400/500. The used X900 is the least expensive by $1000 but no 0% financing but I've got the cash to pay.
Situations change so needs change. I also have a ZD326 which I've had for a bit over a year that I no longer need with under 50 hours on it (sold rental property where I was using it). I'll trade it in to Barlows and if I go with the 500 financed my payments drop $80 month and 400 financed would drop by $100 month vs what I'm now paying on the ZD326.
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Going back to look at the used X900 in a few days so probably between new 500 and used X900. I discussed resale with Barlow and he agreed that the used diesel will bring a couple thousand more two years from now than the used 400/500 gas. The used X900 has already taken the big hit which the new 400/500 will take when I drive it up my driveway.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #14  
Well, as you know, unless the 900 has been driven like a rented mule, it's barely broken in. Since you don't need the financing, it's a no-brainer to me, based on your own last paragraph.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900
Holy blast from the past, forgot about this thread. For what it's worth, the 900 I've had now for just over 5 years and it's been wonderful. Handles just about everything I throw at it from hauling gravel to dragging out trees. No complaints other than the newer ones now have more user friendly knobs for the dump bed and shifter. Also, there aren't any cubbies for stashing anything except for the tray under the seat. The one downside is it's too wide for any off road trails so I was forced to buy a Honda Pioneer 500. Such a shame. Gotta love the paddle shifters on that toy! Best of luck with your decision, but I'd have to say the diesel is the way to go.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #16  
If you're just gonna putter around, a 500 is great for that. Smallish, quiet and maneuverable (mostly fits will quads can go)...If your gonna work it, go with the 900. I had a RTV500 and liked it, I'm partial to my RTV1100 now.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #17  
Hello all - I'm new to the forum (as a poster...have been a reader for a number of years.)

I have a question for the folks experienced with the RTV's. I've looked at/test driven most of the UTV's available, and have all but settled on the RTV (taking a quick look at an electric as well, but it's probably not going to be in the running.)

I have a house that sits up from a lake and recently put in a paver UTV path from the house down to the dock. The slope is pretty steep at about 23 degrees and the area is a bit tight for turns at both the dock and up at the house where I'll turn into the basement through a UTV garage door. My intention is to have a way to avoid the 73 steps to the for family that can't easily do them as well as have a UTV for hauling stuff around the yard (1.5 acre lot).

I originally considered the RTV500 thinking it would be the perfect solution, but after looking at everything else out there and relaxing the budget, ended up stumbling on the RTVX1120d as well. I really like it (power steering, ability for 3 to squeeze up front, hydraulic bed lift, diesel power, slightly dressed up vs. utilitarian, thinking maybe better resale?) My concerns are that as much as I like the diesel, I'm wondering if the cold starts and mostly quick trips would be bad for it over time vs. the gas RTV500 instead. I'm also concerned about the size given the space I have, but the local dealer has agreed to deliver the 1120d it and let me switch it out for a 500 if it doesn't work for me.

I think given the grade that HST or direct drive electric is the only way to go - I've pretty much eliminated the belt drive CVT's and was not impressed with the auto-style Honda Pioneer transmission. The RTV's speed is plenty for what I need and my experience with Kubota in the past has been excellent. Hard to match the solid build - the RTV's drive like tanks compared to the competition in my opinion...

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900
Since I own a RTV900 and a Pioneer 500, I can say that the RTV is a worker, but the Pioneer is a really fun toy, even in tight trails. If all you are doing is running up an down a slope, I'd think the 500 would meet your needs. The funny thing is, one you own these toys, you find other crazy uses for them. I like the 900 as it's a happy medium and very strong. We cut a piece of plywood to fit in the bed and then carpeted it with nice high end carpet. When we are hauling "stuff", the rhino liner handles the chores, but for loading up with kids and adults, in goes the carpet covered plywood and the passengers seem happy. I love dumping out the kids with the hydraulic dump. Scares the beegezus out of my kids' friends.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #19  
Thanks for the response, OhioTractorGuy. Seems like you are happy with the Pioneer 500 - my only concern was the touchiness of the auto-style tranny.

Any thoughts on the Kubota RTV diesel for short trips up and down the hill? I really like it over the RTV500, but am trying to be realistic about the long-term life of the machine...I don't want to ruin a diesel with short trips.

Thanks

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900
I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, so take this for what it's worth. I think a UPS truck starts and stops it's engine all day long. I would think you'd be safe as long as you let it warm up when it's really cold. I suspect the pioneer would work for you, or even a lifted EZ go gas golf cart, but if you want a 900, and it's in your budget, I don't think you will regrert it one bit.