RTV 500 vs RTV 900

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #21  
Most machines with CVT drives have fared well. Yes you can find failures and/or poor designed ones out there but in general, 95% of them have done well.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #22  
Thanks for the response, OhioTractorGuy. Seems like you are happy with the Pioneer 500 - my only concern was the touchiness of the auto-style tranny.

Any thoughts on the Kubota RTV diesel for short trips up and down the hill? I really like it over the RTV500, but am trying to be realistic about the long-term life of the machine...I don't want to ruin a diesel with short trips.

Thanks
I have had my RTV 900 for over 6 years and 450+ hours, most of which are short trips from my house to my shop or over to my sister-in-law's house which is about 300 feet. Lot of puttering around the yard, idling a lot etc. So far not one issue with it. I change the oil once a year. I replaced the battery, fuel filters (once) and hydraulic filters-2 of them. I will probably change the HST and hydraulic filters again this year. Never had an issue. It does like to have the glow plugs used before starting when temps are below 60F just like my B26 Kubota. 5 seconds on the GP and it starts right up.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #23  
My wife and I have 100 acres that is set up as a youth camp. We've had experience with several UTV's and ATV's. We're not into recreational riding, it's all transportation/utility for us. We previously had a Mule 2510 gas, Gator 6x4 gas, and Honda Recon 250 ES (all at the same time). We now have a Kubota RTV1140 (the four-seat/two-seat convertible bed model) and a Club Car Precedent electric. The Kubota is great for the hard work: towing trailers, moving people (don't plan on a conversation while the engine is running though) and tools, hauling and dumping material (the bed in the extended mode is awesome), and plowing snow. Last year we got the electric Club Car, used, for about $3500. Honestly, if you have only 1.5 acres, go with a used electric golf cart. You will save a lot of money, it's quiet, and you can get a box for the back or a flip seat/platform. The Club Car is just so nice to hop in and go, no glow-plugs, no noise, no smell, just go. With our usage, we charge it overnight every 4-5 days in the spring/summer/fall and check the water in the batteries about once per month. IF you really want a UTV, Club Car makes some electric models, but the cheapest new version is about $7,000.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #24  
I second what tlj87 stated. I love the RTV1100 (AC and heat) and when it comes to work, nothing beats a RTV. I also have an old used golf cart that is my go to transportation to the barn which is about 500 yards from my house. My wife still likes to use the RTV so it still gets a lot so stop and go daily driving, she is really good about letting it warm up and we keep a block heater plugged in all the time. I also change the oil every 50 hours. I have no concerns about its longevity.

It is hard to overcome the want of an RTV once it bites you, so, get what you want, and error on buying too much RTV the first time.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #25  
Thanks for all the info guys. I finally decided on a new RTVX1120d - going on Friday morning to finalize the deal and hopefully will be delivered Friday afternoon. I spoke with the mechanic at the dealer - he said that he's seen more issues with the gas models on short trips - probably because of gumming in the fuel. Kubota's response has been that they aren't being run long enough - he had seen no issues w/ the diesels.

Looking forward to many years of trouble free service from the RTV - my 1992 Kubota walk-behind mower still looks and runs like new...built like a tank.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #26  
Congrats on the new machine!!! Post pics when you get it home.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #27  
It was delivered today - nice machine!

Thanks everyone for your input!

IMG_0193.JPG

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #28  

View attachment 505934

Love how the modernized the suspension and it has more room in the cab.

I wish Kubota would have not shortened the bed vs the older models.

I'd like to see a longer wheelbase model, nothing crazy, another 8-12"

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #29  

View attachment 505934

Looking good and with extras

We found a used 900 that fit the bill but the RTVX is much more refined... more ergonomic and comfortable.

I do like the windshield option to keep the weather at bay.

/ RTV 500 vs RTV 900 #30  
iirc the 900's were a bit funky shifting, they needed the brake stepped on to relive pressure and blow shifting. depending on the age, updates and adjustments, some will hit the internal relief valve brake and slide the rear tires just by lifting the foot off the throttle.