rusted receiver removal.

/ rusted receiver removal. #61  
Seems like a lot of work for a old rusted hitch when you can get a new one for about $100 delivered.:confused2:

Chris

Just describing what he did was a lot of work. I just replace the truck when they get too rusted. But that gets pricey so I usually just don't leave them in during the winter. I have noticed some brand receivers are bigger than others. I'm not sure if it's the difference between 3/16" thick steel vs. 1/4" or if the name brand hitches don't use standard 2 1/2" tube. I had a JC Whitney special given to be and even though it was new some of my draw bars wouldn't fit into it.

/ rusted receiver removal. #62  
I never had this issue because I just take it out after towing...it really is a rather simple and easy process! It is also a pet peeve of mine to have or see a drawbar in when not using it. I truly believe that the idea of keeping it there 'just incase someone hits you' is critically flawed; especially if you actually tow with it again.
Fortunatlly, I have, so far, had enough sense about me to not take everyone I see hanging off and throw it through the back window of the vehicle it was on.....I said it was a pet peeve of mine :)

/ rusted receiver removal.
Wedge40 did you ever get it out? All kinds of advice, just wondering

Dan

Took the truck to a place that installs hitches and they were going to cut it out. I decided to just replace the whole hitch. I will be getting it put on the 16th of July. I believe they are putting on a Draw Tite 41920.

Wedge

/ rusted receiver removal. #64  
I never had this issue because I just take it out after towing...it really is a rather simple and easy process! It is also a pet peeve of mine to have or see a drawbar in when not using it. I truly believe that the idea of keeping it there 'just incase someone hits you' is critically flawed; especially if you actually tow with it again.
Fortunatlly, I have, so far, had enough sense about me to not take everyone I see hanging off and throw it through the back window of the vehicle it was on.....I said it was a pet peeve of mine :)

Mine has a lock. So I guess you would have to work at it before you tossed it through my window. I leave mine in, unless I'm swapping to the other one. It only took me two times of hitting my shin, before I learned to walk around it. My Dodge is high enough off the ground, I use it as a step to get to the bumper. That is what is great about America, you can leave it in or take it out. JC

/ rusted receiver removal. #65  

Good for you... for exercising so much self control! Wow, imagine the restraint you must have to not damage other people's property... because somebody does something (heaven forbid) that you do not like!

If somebody damaged your truck because you did something they did not like... I'm sure you would say "that is OK, it must be a pet peeve of theirs".

/ rusted receiver removal. #66  
The smilie thing means that he was making a joke............

/ rusted receiver removal. #67  
Rough crowed here!!! :p
But since the locking pins were brought up I will never use one again!!!! I had a Mastelock unit let go on me once :eek: I stick to the good ol' trusty pins now. It was the type that has the sleeve around the pin to increase the size and that should have been the first indicator of a problem. Once you go through the experience of 'testing' out the break away chains you learn real quick to respect hitch! I left the bar in and locked and the pin rusted out inside the sleeve...I still pucker thinking about it and blame it on my laziness for not removing and inspecting the parts. I carry extra pins and clips and check everything at every stop now! Overreaction? not in my mind. I am sure that the only reason it wasn't worse is because I always cross my chains under the coupler, formed a basket of sorts...at least that is what I keep telling myself. I just cringe at the fact that so many people on the road leave it in and never check the parts before they hook up a trailer.

/ rusted receiver removal. #68  
Explain how you get it out when you cut it off?:confused2:

I believe if you cut one off then you would really have a bigger problem.

We did just that, cut it off. It was not needed anymore on that old tired van. Guys just go tired of busting shins.

Chris

/ rusted receiver removal. #69  
Took the truck to a place that installs hitches and they were going to cut it out. I decided to just replace the whole hitch. I will be getting it put on the 16th of July. I believe they are putting on a Draw Tite 41920.

Wedge

You made a wise choice. No reason to battle it then always wonder if its right or not. I have seen too many failed hitches in my 20 years in the boat business. Its money well spent.

Chris

/ rusted receiver removal. #70  
As for the locking pins they are not worth a crap in the snow/salt belt either. I have had to cut 2 off so far this year for customers. That lock will rust up quicker than a draw bar.

I keep it simple and take the hitch out.

Chris