rusted receiver removal.

/ rusted receiver removal. #51  
my insert is solid aluminum light weight and rust free.I keep it on the truck 24/7 with a stainless steel interchangable ball in all 3 sizes.

Im curious about this hitch... Sounds like the perfect thing for me. We get tons of rust from both road salt and ocean spray.
[I havent seen a aluminum hitch before:thumbsup:

/ rusted receiver removal. #52  
Im curious about this hitch... Sounds like the perfect thing for me. We get tons of rust from both road salt and ocean spray.
[I havent seen a aluminum hitch before:thumbsup:

I've seen aluminum ball-mounts; but not aluminum hitches.

/ rusted receiver removal. #53  
Just went through this

over 2 hours of sledging

if I had to do it over again I like the shop press idea

the smaller pin and trailering also makes a lot of sense

pulling the hitch off the truck should not be a big deAl as long as the bolts and nuts are not badly rusted

Joel

/ rusted receiver removal. #54  
I've seen aluminum ball-mounts; but not aluminum hitches.

Yes, i was referring to ball mounts (drawbar), not hitches:) I mistyped:) A completely aluminum hitch would be interesting (and very pricy:D)

Are aluminum drawbars available an adjustable configuration? I have a few trailers and need that capability.

EDIT: eek: I found an aluiminum adjustable.....$195 on etrailer..... I think ill stick to steel lol

/ rusted receiver removal.
FYI.. I'm having the old hitch removed and replaced with the new Draw Tite 4100 series on the 16th.

Wedge

/ rusted receiver removal. #56  
Around here it is against the law to have anything protruding more than a few inches past the bumper. That would include any trailer drawbar I have seen. Between that and the likelyhood of pounding your shin or knee against the drawbar I just take mine out and throw it in the toolbox when I'm not pulling a trailer. The only one I have had rust in is the drawbar with three sizes of balls welded on that I use with the tractor. It had only been used to move my deck trailer for years (2-5/16") but a couple of weeks ago I moved a small travel trailer (2") for a neighbour and had to pound it out with a dead blow hammer to switch it. Reminds me, I need to wirebrush that and lube it up so it comes out easier next time.:thumbsup:

/ rusted receiver removal.
Around here it is against the law to have anything protruding more than a few inches past the bumper. .:thumbsup:
Ah but that is reason I kept it on. I drive the truck mainly in the winter, and people around here drive like idiots when the weather is bad. We have lots of freezing rain, which in turn means icy roads. I leave the receiver on because when some is following too close and can't stop they get the hitch and not my bumper. It has worked a few time so far. It sound's like up north I could be cited for this, but so far no problems here.

Wedge

/ rusted receiver removal. #58  
I have had to cut them off with a torch.

Explain how you get it out when you cut it off?:confused2:

I believe if you cut one off then you would really have a bigger problem.

/ rusted receiver removal. #59  
Wedge40 did you ever get it out? All kinds of advice, just wondering

Dan

/ rusted receiver removal. #60  
some penetrating oil and a sledge has worked for me in the past ... just make sure to take the pin out first ha!