rusted receiver removal.

/ rusted receiver removal. #41  
Just taking the drawbar out every month or so and cleaning it up and/or hosing it down with WD40 has worked for me for 30+ years...
Most of the time I'm swapping drawbars around enough anyway for different trailers it isn't a problem.
As for welded receivers and metal strength some may be be heat treated after welding, so no telling what one is doing to the properties using a lot of heat or welding on it...I know at least one receiver I've had over the years had a label it was heat treated and don't weld on it...

Last edited:
   / rusted receiver removal. #42  
The simple fix is to use the receiver the way it was intended and take out the bar after each use. I have 6 bars that I have to use on a weekly basis going from no drop to 6" drop, 2" balls and 2 5/16" balls, solid and hollow, ect.

Chris

/ rusted receiver removal. #43  
lube it with penetrant for a week then get at it with a sledge! beat it up/down , left/right till it loosens. Thats how i get mine out when they rust in place. you can also try a undersize pin with a trailer to loosen things up too.

last time i got it out, i sandblasted and painted it with POR. I also grease the hitch up when i change it out. Seems to be working well.:thumbsup:

/ rusted receiver removal. #44  
A neighbor down the street had it happen. Even the ATF and kero didn't work. The back of the hitch was sealed so he took two steel plates and covered the pin holes with a large clamp. He then installed a zirk into the end and filled it with grease figuring the pressure from the gun would push it out but no luck. He finally drilled a hole just shy of 1/2", just small enough so a 1/2" bolt would go into it but there was no extra room. He cut the threads of of a 6" long bolt, wiggled it just far enough into the hole so it wouldn't fall out and started beating on it with a sludge hammer.

He said it made a mess but came out. I never really thought about it but he said there's a lot of mechanical advantage between the surface area of the 1/2" bolt to the 2" square draw bar.

/ rusted receiver removal. #45  
The simple fix is to use the receiver the way it was intended and take out the bar after each use. I have 6 bars that I have to use on a weekly basis going from no drop to 6" drop, 2" balls and 2 5/16" balls, solid and hollow, ect.

Chris

Is that in the instructions?:D

/ rusted receiver removal. #47  
   / rusted receiver removal. #48  

Chris

I have one of these ADJUSTABLE TRI-BALL MOUNT ,1-7/8",2"2-5/16", CHROME BALLS. (1802225) - Welcome to Buyers Products Company I got at Northern Tool. I don't tow often, and when I do it's usually a rental, so it's a crap shoot as to what I'm going to get. I've used this ball-mount to haul home a mini-excavator.

I'm happy with it.

/ rusted receiver removal. #49  
my insert is solid aluminum light weight and rust free.I keep it on the truck 24/7 with a stainless steel interchangable ball in all 3 sizes. To the O P I would replace the hitch and get insert and start over. we arent talking about alot of money or much work to replace and even if you get it out I imagine it would be very hard to clean all the rust out of the inside of the tube Down here we learn at an early age never walk too close to the back ok a tuck!! hitches, vices, fishing poles, antlers, something is bound to bang, scratch or hurt you.

/ rusted receiver removal. #50  
A neighbor down the street had it happen. Even the ATF and kero didn't work. The back of the hitch was sealed so he took two steel plates and covered the pin holes with a large clamp. He then installed a zirk into the end and filled it with grease figuring the pressure from the gun would push it out but no luck. He finally drilled a hole just shy of 1/2", just small enough so a 1/2" bolt would go into it but there was no extra room. He cut the threads of of a 6" long bolt, wiggled it just far enough into the hole so it wouldn't fall out and started beating on it with a sludge hammer.

He said it made a mess but came out. I never really thought about it but he said there's a lot of mechanical advantage between the surface area of the 1/2" bolt to the 2" square draw bar.

Seems like a lot of work for a old rusted hitch when you can get a new one for about $100 delivered.:confused2:

Chris