SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #11  
The BX23 has a fuel shut off lever located on the fuel pump (left side of tractor). Hard to see and find but accessible without removal of hood. This is used when the normal fuel shut off solenoid doesnt function, it needs to be energized to shut the engine off.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #12  
The problem with the HST light staying on is probably related to the "won't shut off" problem. Fuses blow for a reason, something overloaded that circuit. I would be looking at the wiring harness for any type of damage.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #13  
Yes, diesels can run very well without any electricity. I know my JD skid steer has an emergency air shut off and there maybe a fuel shutoff on the B21. But otherwise, I am not aware of any emergency shutoffs on the rest of my (all Kubota) equipment.

I remember our first diesel engine firetruck likewise had an emergency shutoff in the air intake.

You did the right thing, blocking the air intake.

Ken

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #14  
As others have said, there will be a manual lever on the injector pump that will kill the tractor for times just like this.

It may be a good Idea for you to find it and learn its function:thumbsup:

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #15  
Learn something new everyday, now I will be looking for that lever and put a tag or highly visible marking on it that sticks out from everything else cause I do know if something happens people usually panic sometimes a bit sometimes a lot and forget about it so making it stick out will remind you to 'pull in case of emergency' lol

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #16  
I assume my BX2230 must have some kind of lever like this also. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Just a thought, but would unplugging the electric fuel pump kill one of these things? I don't know if the injector pump has any kind of suction or it just relies on the electric to push the fuel up. I could see where this still might take several minutes though, especially if it could suck the lines and top filter dry. Maybe even longer.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?
All of the newer Kubota tractors have what they call "Key Stop" this is where either the act of turning the key off or a seat, PTO or pedal switch goes to a state that the Key Stop timer relay becomes activated.

If this circuit looses power there is no way for the relay to energize and activate the solenoid to pull the shutdown lever on the injection pump closed to kill the engine, contrary to popular belief many Kubota tractors do not require a solenoid to be energized to run but it is only energized to shut down.

People need to learn where the shutoff lever on the pump is and learn how to pull it to the closed position. Some engines do have a solenoid with 2 coils, one to hold lever open to run and a larger one to enable the shutdown and sometimes the run coil fails and people get intermittent shut downs causing problems. If the BX has the D902 engine their is a silver or sometimes gray solenoid that you can see energize for 5-10 seconds when you turn the key off. That is where you need to look in case you blow the fuse again and you can pull the lever to the stop position to kill the engine.

On both my Massey MF35 and Kubota L3130 GST they will both run for at least 10 minutes when the fuel valve is turned off, they use up all the fuel in the filters and just about suck them dry until they finally stall out.

David Kb7uns

David- Thanks for your post. Well I just went out again to check for this control lever to shut off the solenoid. Still can not find it. Under the tractor I believe is that solenoid you are speaking of. I actually had climbed under there and disconnected the wire to it, and it still would not shut down. As mentioned before I had visegrips on the fuel lines and had them pinched off and I still could not get the engine to stop running. This went on for about 10 minutes. I had disconnected the battery and it still kept running. (This was eerie as it reminded me of a movie I saw once where this car had a mind of its own, don't remember the name of the movie.) I finally pried off the intake hose from the air cleaner and shut down the air inflow. This worked great. Now this does not sound like a efficient way to shut down a tractor in an emergency.

To answer California NO

Ultra runner--
That's what this tractor was an ultra runner. Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Have you had this experience too? I am going to call Kubota and see if I have any luck with them.

Thanks to all that replied. I certainly am up to suggestions.

Also I checked the manual and found nothing about shutting down in an emergency.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #18  
Is there a way to add your own emergency kill switch? If so where would you wire it to?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?
The BX23 has a fuel shut off lever located on the fuel pump (left side of tractor). Hard to see and find but accessible without removal of hood. This is used when the normal fuel shut off solenoid doesnt function, it needs to be energized to shut the engine off.

I have searched again and can not find that shut off. I would appreciate if you could take a picture of that, so I can locate it. Maybe they ran out of that part when they built this tractor and left it out. Again in an emergency they should have that marked or in a position that is easily seen. Wouldn't you think they would put this in the owners manual? If they have it I haven't found it.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #20  
The fuel cutoff manual lever is NOT under the tractor AND not by the solenoid.

It is on the injector pump itself.

Pop the hood, take the side covers off, and follow the fuel line from the tank. It will lead straight to the injector pump, which also will have 3 steel lines comming off of it and going to the injectors.