SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?
I assume my BX2230 must have some kind of lever like this also. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Just a thought, but would unplugging the electric fuel pump kill one of these things? I don't know if the injector pump has any kind of suction or it just relies on the electric to push the fuel up. I could see where this still might take several minutes though, especially if it could suck the lines and top filter dry. Maybe even longer.

I even unhooked the battery, so there was no electric power going to anything that I know of. I was at a loss of what to do, so finally I pried off the intake hose from the air cleaner and held my hand on it. That worked great, but I would think there is an easier way. Hope someone knows something easier to do than that.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #22  
Doesn't this seem backward to anyone else? I mean a blown fuse is not all that uncommon. It would seem to me that for safety, you might have a little relay there to keep the plunger open and the tractor running, but if the fuse blew, that relay would release, the plunger close, and the tractor is dead NOW.

Why would you design this such that it would keep running come **** (battery disconnected) or high water (fuel line pinched off) :confused::confused:

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #23  
I even unhooked the battery, so there was no electric power going to anything that I know of.

You may have unhooked the battery, but is your dynamo/alternator in working order? If that is running, and no place to go since the battery is unplugged, the rest of the circuitry probably has plenty of juice to keep on keepin' on. Although I do I recall you saying you pulled all the fuses also? Can't see that part of the thread while I'm typing this...

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #24  
jgheck said:
I even unhooked the battery, so there was no electric power going to anything that I know of. I was at a loss of what to do, so finally I pried off the intake hose from the air cleaner and held my hand on it. That worked great, but I would think there is an easier way. Hope someone knows something easier to do than that.

The battery is just used for starting the tractor and running the accessories, after it's started the alternator keeps the tractor running and recharges the battery, an old school way to test the alternator was to disconnect the battery and if it died the alternator was toast.

When I had a battery that was completely toast in my truck I would tape up the battery cable connectors so I don't short anything out and boost the truck then drive into town with no battery to get a replacement (it's not recommended cause it puts massive strain on the alternator but if your stranded it would work.)

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #25  
it's not recommended cause it puts massive strain on the alternator but if your stranded it would work.)

Why should this be a massive strain? The danger is if you let the rpm's drop too low (manual and let out the clutch too fast) and you're stranded some more. But if the truck is running normally, there must be juice enough to run the truck and the battery has to charge back up sometime, which the alternator handles quite nicely... Now you are just running the truck. How is that a strain?

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #26  
Once a diesel engine starts running, it needs no electricity per se. The only way to stop it is to cut off the fuel or air. Tractors with the tank up high may not have an electric fuel pump, so that will not be an option for those tractors. Some designs have a solenoid valve on the fuel line for a shut off. Others do not.

I just went through my manuals. The KX-121 mini ex has instructions to push a lever on the fuel selonoid for an emergency stop. The rest of the manuals I checked (RTV-900, M5040, B21, B2710) say nothing beyond "turn off the key and remove it":( I suspect for all of those, blocking off the air intake is the only emergency stop.

As I mentioned earlier my JD SS has an emergency stop in the engine compartment.

For the equipment that has a water collector bowl in the fuel line, check for a shut off valve there.

Ken

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #27  
The fuel cutoff manual lever is NOT under the tractor AND not by the solenoid.

It is on the injector pump itself.

Pop the hood, take the side covers off, and follow the fuel line from the tank. It will lead straight to the injector pump, which also will have 3 steel lines comming off of it and going to the injectors.

Seems like a lot to take off or apart to shut a tractor down in an EMERGENCY. In this case time was not an issue but what if it was ?? There should be an emergency switch somewhere that could be just pushed and an immediate shutdown would occur.

Not saying that this isnt correct but just not very efficient if your in a panic situation

The battery is just used for starting the tractor and running the accessories, after it's started the alternator keeps the tractor running and recharges the battery, an old school way to test the alternator was to disconnect the battery and if it died the alternator was toast.

When I had a battery that was completely toast in my truck I would tape up the battery cable connectors so I don't short anything out and boost the truck then drive into town with no battery to get a replacement (it's not recommended cause it puts massive strain on the alternator but if your stranded it would work.)

Thanks for that valuable information. That answers RayDaKub's Question, Obviously then my Dynamo/Alternator is working! At least on the tractor, not so sure if mine is up to par anymore.LOL

LD1 I will look for that shut off just so I know where it is. I don't think that is a good place to put an emergency shut off though. If you need to take off the side panel to get at it. What if a person was hurt and had to go to the hospital and you weren't in a condition to take off the side panel and turn this off. I think there should be an emergency shut off that can be turned off by anyone. How many people in your family would be able to turn that off if you had to go to the hospital. I keep saying there has got to be a better way. This to me does not make sense. I come from a family of engineers and to me this should be a number one safety concern. You should be able to turn your tractor off in an emergency.Without taking things apart or climbing under the tractor or pulling the intake hose off of the air intake and holding your hand on it.

Seems like a lot to take off or apart to shut a tractor down in an EMERGENCY. In this case time was not an issue but what if it was ?? There should be an emergency switch somewhere that could be just pushed and an immediate shutdown would occur.

Not saying that this isnt correct but just not very efficient if your in a panic situation
:thumbsup:My sentiments exactly. I will contact Kubota about this and will post a reply that I get from them.

/ SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this? #30  
RaydaKub said:
Why should this be a massive strain? The danger is if you let the rpm's drop too low (manual and let out the clutch too fast) and you're stranded some more. But if the truck is running normally, there must be juice enough to run the truck and the battery has to charge back up sometime, which the alternator handles quite nicely... Now you are just running the truck. How is that a strain?

Cause the truck needs the alternator to keep running and the battery for accessories and there is almost always one accessory running (heater or clock on the radio, ect.) I was told that that would put the extra strain on the alternator. And I agree with the keeping the rpm's up, and being slow on the clutch, I learned that the hard way, lol.