Safety shut off in seat on BX24

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #11  
Whatever you do don't disable the seat safety switch. I did this once on a 1200 # Gravely riding tractor because it was shorting out and wouldn't start. My wife was mowing down a steep hill after that and she went over a large rock too fast with a rear tire and it flipped her out of the seat in front of the tractor. The tractor ran over her right leg and her leg went under the mowing deck. I watched the whole thing. Scared me to death. The mower kept running because I had disabled the seat safety switch. I had to run down and turn the ignition off. We were lucky. She wasn't hurt. But the tennis shoe she was wearing was chewed off by the mower blades within a 1/8" of her foot. Disabling this safety switch wasn't the stupidest thing I have ever done but it was darn close to it. Can't cure stupid.

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24
that new seat and you could get is like a lazy boy. I had the one that leaned forward and change it out for the one that should have come with the BX and no lie did not want to get off the tractor. I am 6'3'' so leg movement is not a issue for me. my .02 Shawn

Did you say lazyboy, I can do lazy boy, maybe I will look into that one, should have posted this sooner, maybe I could have swooned it inot the deal, oh well, I ony gave $8000 for the tractor and loader with 190 hours on it, maybe giving them another $50 wouldn't kill me...Thanks!!

Whatever you do don't disable the seat safety switch. I did this once on a 1200 # Gravely riding tractor because it was shorting out and wouldn't start. My wife was mowing down a steep hill after that and she went over a large rock too fast with a rear tire and it flipped her out of the seat in front of the tractor. The tractor ran over her right leg and her leg went under the mowing deck. I watched the whole thing. Scared me to death. The mower kept running because I had disabled the seat safety switch. I had to run down and turn the ignition off. We were lucky. She wasn't hurt. But the tennis shoe she was wearing was chewed off by the mower blades within a 1/8" of her foot. Disabling this safety switch wasn't the stupidest thing I have ever done but it was darn close to it. Can't cure stupid.

WOW, :eek: If that thought had crossed my mind earlier it is surely evicted from any plans. Plus my son is only 4 and thinks this is the coolest new toy....no switch removal going on here for sure!!! Thanks for the info!! Oh, guess I should not drill through the ROPS for lights either?

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #14  
Go for the new seat. You won't be sorry. Best $50 you will ever spend.

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #16  
The seat up grade would be good,but may not solve the seat switch problem. 50 dollars for the new seat is a good price. Is that with trading your other seat in? If not the old seat should be worth at least $25 off the price of the new one.

I think I'd make a trip to the dealer and test drive another tractor with the seat upgrade to see if it runs okay or still cuts out on you. You might try slipping one of those black rubber covers over the button of the saftey switch to effectively lenghten it so it makes better contact and doesn't cut out on you. I'm sure there are several ways to solve the problem without disconnecting the switch.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #17  
WOW, :eek: If that thought had crossed my mind earlier it is surely evicted from any plans. Plus my son is only 4 and thinks this is the coolest new toy....no switch removal going on here for sure!!! Thanks for the info!! Oh, guess I should not drill through the ROPS for lights either?

As hard as it will be emotionally, you need to keep that little 4 year old far from the tractor. A seat safety switch only addresses a small fraction of the things that can go tragically wrong with little ones around powerful equipment. I've read too many stories on here about kids falling off tractors and getting caught in the equipment. If kid falls off and dad stays on the seat for a second as brain and body react, it may be too late.

Let him run the hose when you clean the tractor. Let him sit on there when it is not running. Teach him to keep away when it is running. Especially if you've got implements that can throw objects (like a bushhog).

I hate to sound like chicken little but the consequences are too great to mess around and we want to keep hearing stories of the fun and accomplishments your tractor brings, not tragedy and misery.

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #18  
go to http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/103639-new-warranty-bx-seat.html and take a look at the pics there and compare yours. Make sure you have the newer seat. The newer seat should help your problem, if not solve it. Another thought is buy the bxpanded seat bag and mount it to the back of the seat. I would add some tools until you reach the desired weight where it will help to keep seat down while driving, but will still let the cutoff switch do it job shutting off the tractor if you stood up while moving. I beleive that making these two changes shall help to reach the desired effect you were looking for. you wouldnt want to feel like you are sliding off the seat. My oldest son is just over 100 lbs last fall and he drove my tractor under my supervision spreading the fertilizer for me on the lawn and he had no problems with the cutoff switch on my BX24. (i dont have the seat bag yet but have my eye on it.

As hard as it will be emotionally, you need to keep that little 4 year old far from the tractor. A seat safety switch only addresses a small fraction of the things that can go tragically wrong with little ones around powerful equipment. I've read too many stories on here about kids falling off tractors and getting caught in the equipment. If kid falls off and dad stays on the seat for a second as brain and body react, it may be too late.

Let him run the hose when you clean the tractor. Let him sit on there when it is not running. Teach him to keep away when it is running. Especially if you've got implements that can throw objects (like a bushhog).

I hate to sound like chicken little but the consequences are too great to mess around and we want to keep hearing stories of the fun and accomplishments your tractor brings, not tragedy and misery.

I appreciate your ideas for letting him be a part of it but not on it. I am SUPER saftey concious and let him sit on it in the barn, with parking brake, and no key. But as we all know little one's are quick unpredictable, and smarter than we think sometimes. (I am a nutso around the horses as well) Additionally, I had to wait a WHOLE day to drive it after delivery because my hubby was gone and there is no real way of trusting he will sit and stay in any one spot. Again, I really appreciate your pointers and will absolutely keep them in the front of my mind! Thanks!!!;)

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #20  
BTW, I did use the seatbelt in hopes that would help, really doesn't, it gives too much when I move against it, but I did think of bungee cords maybe to add some down pressure but not entirely negate the safety part. They did offer me to do a seat trade for $50 more I could get a seat that sits you back and deeper, but they weren't sure that would fix the issue, mostly they laughed and told me that now I own a tractor I should put on a few pounds not having to do it all by pitch fork and wheelbarrow. Funny indeed, but how many twinkies would that be, more than $50 worth?:confused:

Get a new dealer! I traded mine in for $0. And that fixed the problem. I"m 180 lbs, and 5'10".