Safety shut off in seat on BX24

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24
go to http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/103639-new-warranty-bx-seat.html and take a look at the pics there and compare yours. Make sure you have the newer seat. The newer seat should help your problem, if not solve it. Another thought is buy the bxpanded seat bag and mount it to the back of the seat. I would add some tools until you reach the desired weight where it will help to keep seat down while driving, but will still let the cutoff switch do it job shutting off the tractor if you stood up while moving. I beleive that making these two changes shall help to reach the desired effect you were looking for. you wouldnt want to feel like you are sliding off the seat. My oldest son is just over 100 lbs last fall and he drove my tractor under my supervision spreading the fertilizer for me on the lawn and he had no problems with the cutoff switch on my BX24. (i dont have the seat bag yet but have my eye on it.

Wow, I am having a hard time telling if that is the one or not, I will have to look closer at the one I have. Seems that mine does lean a little forward and down at the very egde of the seat. They told me if I pay the $50 that will trade up my existing seat. Thanks!!

:D Great news, the kubota guys, the salesman called me right back when I called, I am sure once he was done laughing. They are going to come out to my house tonight to try to adjust again, also double check to make sure that they can mount the new seat, but they are hesitant to do that as "the solution" as they are not sure if that will "cure" the problem. But hey great customer service goes a long way with me!! Anyhow, I will also try Fish's recommendation, I am just so new at this whole tractor owning and reallllyyy, don't want to screw this machine up. (not that your recommendations would, but my novice status might:) Thanks for all the input, I will keep you posted...

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #24  
Well, I go about 140lbs and had the same issue with my BX1850 last year. Any kind of bump or backing up a hill would cause the engine to start dying. I played some with the seat switch but couldn't get it set to the right sensitivity, so I ended up bypassing it.

Long story short, I traded the BX1850 (same seat as the BX24) for a BX1860 in November for other reasons. They solved this issue on the BX25/xx60 machines by moving the seat kill switch from the seat frame to inside the seat bottom. I have not had one issue with the BX1860 machine and think this was a smart fix by Kubota since it will keep most owners from trying to bypass the switch. Anyway, if you decide to trade seats, have your dealer get you a cost for the seat that comes with the BX25. That will solve it for sure - check one out next time your at the dealership. Good luck.

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #25  
Well, I go about 140lbs and had the same issue with my BX1850 last year. Any kind of bump or backing up a hill would cause the engine to start dying. I played some with the seat switch but couldn't get it set to the right sensitivity, so I ended up bypassing it.

Long story short, I traded the BX1850 (same seat as the BX24) for a BX1860 in November for other reasons. They solved this issue on the BX25/xx60 machines by moving the seat kill switch from the seat frame to inside the seat bottom. I have not had one issue with the BX1860 machine and think this was a smart fix by Kubota since it will keep most owners from trying to bypass the switch. Anyway, if you decide to trade seats, have your dealer get you a cost for the seat that comes with the BX25. That will solve it for sure - check one out next time your at the dealership. Good luck.

Actually, I'm going to hedge a bit on my statement above. Since the BX25 is a TLB and the seat swivels, the seat switch may not have been redesigned as it was on the BXxx60 machies. A quick look at a BX25 will tell you for sure.

Take the good with the bad I guess.... they came and replaced the seat, still no change, so I will try the "fish" repair as posted earlier. Kinda bummed, but like the new seat better, I feel like I sit more correctly in it, but still. Then when I went to pull it in the barn after dark I realized that the right headlight is out as well as the right rear light. I am sure it is a simple wiring problem but geez, I just bought it Saturday. Didn't think to double check the lights and they were to completely service it. Yup, stupid girl. I did have to pay $50 for the seat, but figure it will be worth it and I bought it as a repo that the dealer resold to me so I didn't get the original warranty. (to my knowledge at least) After 8 years in the military I thought I was rather saavy at this wheelin and dealin, but I am about to regret it now. Not to mention I hate to call the dealer back and say, hey what about the lights? After having to call to complain about the seat, and then they ran right out to fix it. Not a short trip for them, about 30 minutes. I am sure my kubota will serve me well as I have nothing to compare to, but I am a bit defeated this evening.
$8900 tractor with tax and new seat and weighting the tires....
no lights on the right.....price yet to be determined....
thought of buying a tractor that I wouldn't have to be a mechanic to run...priceless :(

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #27  
Take the good with the bad I guess.... they came and replaced the seat, still no change, so I will try the "fish" repair as posted earlier. Kinda bummed, but like the new seat better, I feel like I sit more correctly in it, but still. Then when I went to pull it in the barn after dark I realized that the right headlight is out as well as the right rear light. I am sure it is a simple wiring problem but geez, I just bought it Saturday. Didn't think to double check the lights and they were to completely service it. Yup, stupid girl. I did have to pay $50 for the seat, but figure it will be worth it and I bought it as a repo that the dealer resold to me so I didn't get the original warranty. (to my knowledge at least) After 8 years in the military I thought I was rather saavy at this wheelin and dealin, but I am about to regret it now. Not to mention I hate to call the dealer back and say, hey what about the lights? After having to call to complain about the seat, and then they ran right out to fix it. Not a short trip for them, about 30 minutes. I am sure my kubota will serve me well as I have nothing to compare to, but I am a bit defeated this evening.
$8900 tractor with tax and new seat and weighting the tires....
no lights on the right.....price yet to be determined....
thought of buying a tractor that I wouldn't have to be a mechanic to run...priceless :(

I haven't read through this whole post, and am not sure how many hours you've put on your tractor since you purchased it, but since you've found problems with the lights (guessing it may be the first time you've noticed them out) I'd deffinitely let the dealer know they are not working and ask them kindly to show you a "punch list" proving they were when you first bought it...my .02 and good luck.

Don

I haven't read through this whole post, and am not sure how many hours you've put on your tractor since you purchased it, but since you've found problems with the lights (guessing it may be the first time you've noticed them out) I'd deffinitely let the dealer know they are not working and ask them kindly to show you a "punch list" proving they were when you first bought it...my .02 and good luck.

Don

Well the machine has 194 hours on it, I think 1 hour is mine:) I only have had it 3 days and called the dealer yet again today, I am sure they are regretting selling me this tractor by now, but anyhow they are coming back out to see what the issue is. To top it off, I walked by it this AM doing chores and noticed a leak of some sort underneath it. Let them know that too... oh well, such is life, hopefully they will get this fixed.

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #29  
Take the good with the bad I guess.... they came and replaced the seat, still no change, so I will try the "fish" repair as posted earlier. ... :(

This modification is very easy to do and to undo. On mine, the engine will still kill when I get off the seat but it takes a second or two. Please let us know how it works for your machine.

/ Safety shut off in seat on BX24 #30  
Well the machine has 194 hours on it, I think 1 hour is mine:) I only have had it 3 days and called the dealer yet again today, I am sure they are regretting selling me this tractor by now, but anyhow they are coming back out to see what the issue is. To top it off, I walked by it this AM doing chores and noticed a leak of some sort underneath it. Let them know that too... oh well, such is life, hopefully they will get this fixed.

When they come out this time have your Assembly instuction manual available or have them bring one with them. In it there is a Checklist for inspection after assembly This should find any other problems that you might have. Good luck.