Schedule for greasing FEL

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #31  
I don't think so... I wish someone from kubota would clear this up... for me, driving down a gravel road counts as the bucket is subjected to movement... LOTS of movement. Yea, I admit that I'm an over greaser... grease is cheap - New pins ain't. :2cents:

I'd have to totally disagree with you on this one, and I am an avid over-greaser myself (can't even stand in the same room as my tractor w/o getting grease on your clothes somewhere...). My loader is fairly old and loose - 10 hours of use w/o grease is too much.

I am running my tractor as a snowblower this winter. I have about 10 hours on it clearing snow so far, and will put at least another 10 on it before the end of the season. I could put in 50 hours, and I still wouldn't think about greasing my loader. I lift it up when I take off, and put it down when I get back. I may even scoop some snow once or twice, but use is negligible and is surely doesn't need additional lubrication.

OTOH, when I was landscaping my property this summer, I'd often spend half the day working with the loader moving dirt and gravel, and I greased it every day. Even with daily grease, it occasionally started squeaking by the end of the day and needed another squirt.

JayC

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #32  
No, I use a non-moly grease.

There is a reason behind this. Moly greases are black, and at least in my perception, almost impossible to clean off the carpet if I track a blob into the house.

CurleyDave brings up an interesting topic.
I'm extremely careful but dare I track moly grease into the house, I'll always know where my grease gun is.
Starts with "where the sun don't shine".

Now that I think about it, that's why I went with Deere polyurea grease in the first place.

So, what do you guys think about using a lithium--and not moly--- grease for the loader if I grease frequently in a homeowner/small farm situation? I've got a 75 HP 5520 Deere and smaller 790TLB

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #33  
I'd have to totally disagree with you on this one, and I am an avid over-greaser myself (can't even stand in the same room as my tractor w/o getting grease on your clothes somewhere...). My loader is fairly old and loose - 10 hours of use w/o grease is too much.
So you say that it should be greased MORE than once every ten hours? BTW, You can wipe that excess grease off the loader ;) :)

I am running my tractor as a snowblower this winter. I have about 10 hours on it clearing snow so far, and will put at least another 10 on it before the end of the season. I could put in 50 hours, and I still wouldn't think about greasing my loader. I lift it up when I take off, and put it down when I get back. I may even scoop some snow once or twice, but use is negligible and is surely doesn't need additional lubrication.
So do you grease every 10 hours or not... I'm a little confused here. Maybe this is why your loader is a bit loose? Not to mention snow gets packed into every nook and cranny, you let that snow melt to water and let that sit in the pins until it evaporates?

Whatever works for you. Every time my meter hits a "0"... I grease and my pins already have too much play, IMHO (6 yr/300 hrs) :confused2: even with greasing it a bunch with EP Moly.

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #34  
Every time my meter hits a "0"... I grease

Me too... that is how I do it. Takes all the guess work out of it!

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #35  
I grease my entire machine each time I use it. Not just the loader, but the whole machine. Usually before I use it. I check/top off the fluids and fill with fuel. Check and fill the tires with air (constant problem with old, weather-cracked turf tires). At the same time, I give it a once over and visually inspect the machine as well as sweep any accumulated debris off (it has to sit outside occasionally).

It's certainly overkill, as it probably translates to greasing every 3 hrs on average, but I have a reason for it. The machine sits unused for many months at a time, and by greasing and inspecting at each use, I'm keeping all the fittings free and lubed as well as protecting it from moisture damage as much as I possibly can.

You have ODC...;)

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #36  
I'll finally get to grease the BX25 now that we got the new grease gun...:ashamed:

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #37  
I grease once a year with my own patented mixture of salt water, loc-tite, JB weld and strawberry jam. :D

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #39  
logdog said:
I grease once a year with my own patented mixture of salt water, loc-tite, JB weld and strawberry jam. :D

Don't forget to mix in a dash of sarcasm or that goop will be hard to force into the zerks!

/ Schedule for greasing FEL #40  
If I am going to be using it for digging /moving dirt. I will grease it before I start and again at noon when I use if constantly. If I am not actively using it other than pick up/ set down when parking, it doesnt get greased. If it only takes one pump for grease to pop then it has plenty. Some joints take more grease than others and I may grease them more frequently than the others. I try to grease up everything prior to winter storage. Even with it under roof, moisture can get into the pins if they arent filled with grease. I think 10 hours on the meter is just a go by. If you use your tractor like me, I can work it 20 hours of actually run time and not get 10 on the meter as it registers hours at the 540 RPM rate. I rarely run my engine at that high of RPM. I dont need that much power so I run it less than half throttle most of the time. The only draw back to that is the hydraulics work a little slow, but I am not racing with anyone so if works out nicely. Quieter (even in the cab) and saves a lot of fuel. So I may grease my FEL with 3-5 hours of meter time. When moving dirt all day long I have heard the pins start to squeak after 5 hours of actual work time so here comes the grease gun. I use a little judgement on all lubrication. If all I am doing with my truck is driving it to the store and back, I wont change the oil till the computer tells me to (usually I change when it says 25% life left) but if I am pulling a trailer for several thousand miles, I may change it at 3000 miles and reset the computer. Even though they are supposed to compensate for loading etc., it is better to err a bit on the safe side.
The only thing I recall that you could damage by overgreasing is electric motor bearing, too much grease and they will run hot and those old steering knuckle joints that had the little rubber boot around them. You could put too much grease in them and pop the boot.