Grading Scraper blade - how wide?

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #11  
Strictly an uneducated opinion here, but I would think that may put alot of stress on the loader arms. Might be O.K. with snow, but I would hestitate before I used it like a dozer blade in the dirt.

Mark

Ditto.

If I did it, it would certainly have skid shoes on it, and only for snow...At a high angle, in dirt, I think you could really tweak the arms if you were daydreamin'...

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #12  
Yes, I was thinking of using it for just light scraping. If you want to move dirt, the box blade is the thing.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #13  
Not much snow to move in Florida. :laughing:
I 'm about 1/2 mile off the pavement so would be helping my neighbors maintain the dirt road. Plus my lane is about 500 ft. long as well.
Sounds like a 7 footer is the way to go.

A 7 footer will not cover your tracks when angled 45 degrees.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #14  
A 7 footer will not cover your tracks when angled 45 degrees.

Even though I have not specifically measured the angle that I keep my RB3584 blade set at when I grade my drive, it seems to cover the tracks of my 3510 just fine. Could be that it is somewhat under 45 degrees, but seems to do the job just fine.

Mark

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #15  
Strictly an uneducated opinion here, but I would think that may put alot of stress on the loader arms. Might be O.K. with snow, but I would hestitate before I used it like a dozer blade in the dirt.

Mark

And this would be different from plowing how?

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #16  
Even though I have not specifically measured the angle that I keep my RB3584 blade set at when I grade my drive, it seems to cover the tracks of my 3510 just fine. Could be that it is somewhat under 45 degrees, but seems to do the job just fine.

Mark

I never said that a 7 foot blade would not work. In fact I would think that it would work quite well. Myself, I usually set my rear blade between 30 & 40 degrees. Very very seldom do I put it all the way to 45 degrees. I was only answering a question about if a 7 foot blade on a 45 degree angle would cover a 6 foot wide track. No, it will not. ;)

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #17  
I never said that a 7 foot blade would not work. In fact I would think that it would work quite well. Myself, I usually set my rear blade between 30 & 40 degrees. Very very seldom do I put it all the way to 45 degrees. [I was only answering a question about if a 7 foot blade on a 45 degree angle would cover a 6 foot wide track. No, it will not.] ;)
Correct. It will cover 7/root2= 7/1.414 = 4.95 feet.
larry

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #18  
And this would be different from plowing how?

Like I said, "might be O.K. in the snow".

What kind of plowing were you talkin' about. Or were you asking the difference between plowing snow and dozing dirt?

Last edited:
   / Scraper blade - how wide? #19  
I never said that a 7 foot blade would not work. In fact I would think that it would work quite well. Myself, I usually set my rear blade between 30 & 40 degrees. Very very seldom do I put it all the way to 45 degrees. I was only answering a question about if a 7 foot blade on a 45 degree angle would cover a 6 foot wide track. No, it will not. ;)

Sorry, I thought you were answering the OP's question. I see now that you were answering Redbug's question in another post. Should have payed closer attention.

Mark

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #20  
I have a 6' or 7' (I forget) scrapper blade that I got with a 8N Ford I bought 10 years ago. I graded a lot of dirt with it with the 8N.
Since I bought my 3510 5 years ago I have never used the blade. I did buy a 5' Box Blade and it is much easier to use than the scrapper blade. The box blade has double blades and will push forward or reverse. It also has the teeth for serious work. If I angle it right it skids and levels great.
You might want to re-think your choice of implements.
My neighbor had 8 loads of dirt delivered. A friend of his has a tractor. I told my neighbor if his friend wants to grade the dirt he better ride with the dump truck driver to beat me to it!! ;)