Grading Scraper blade - how wide?

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #22  
Like I said, "might be O.K. in the snow".

What kind of plowing were you talkin' about. Or were you asking the difference between plowing snow and dozing dirt?

Dirt, as in I plowed the field. Same kinds of stresses that you would incur using a scraper blade in the dirt.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #23  
Dirt, as in I plowed the field. Same kinds of stresses that you would incur using a scraper blade in the dirt.

Now I see where you are coming from. The quote below is what I was referring to. Somehow attaching the back blade to the FEL loader arms is how I read it. I doubt you would do something like that with a two bottom plow.
Just thinking about a scraper blade some more...you could put it up front with a 3 point attachment plate, (rotate it around 180 degrees and angle it). Then have more control using the blade...curl, etc.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/142456-3-point-hitch-loader-arms.html

Hmmm...

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #24  
I have a Mahindra 4110. I'm shopping for a rear blade that I expect mostly will be used for snow, as I have a 72" box blade for grading. I have been told an 8' blade would be best for covering the wheel tracks when set at an angle, but some of the manufacturer's comments I have read recommend a 50+ hp tractor for an 8' blade. Do you think my 41 hp Mahindra has adequate power for an 8' blade? Thanks in advance for your replies.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #25  
I have a Mahindra 4110. I'm shopping for a rear blade that I expect mostly will be used for snow, as I have a 72" box blade for grading. I have been told an 8' blade would be best for covering the wheel tracks when set at an angle, but some of the manufacturer's comments I have read recommend a 50+ hp tractor for an 8' blade. Do you think my 41 hp Mahindra has adequate power for an 8' blade? Thanks in advance for your replies.

I would think you would be fine for moving snow and even some dirt work with your tractors HP. Of course there are a lot of others on this board that would know a lot more than me. Here's a link to Landpride's specs. Good luck.

http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/specs/301-131s.pdf

Mark

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #26  
I have a Branson 2810. What size box blade would you all recommend for it.
I will be doing light grading work and light snow removal and using it as counter weight for the fel. I am torn between 5 and 6 footer.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #27  
i'm no expert...but it was recommended to me to have one that is as wide as the wheels of the tractor, so i got a six footer and it has worked well for me. a local dealer could probably tell you if you have enough pto hp for a 6'.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #28  
I have a Branson 2810. What size box blade would you all recommend for it.
I will be doing light grading work and light snow removal and using it as counter weight for the fel. I am torn between 5 and 6 footer.

Safe bet is the same width as your tractor, maybe 6" wider. I personally would purchase only a medium or heavy duty box blade. So you should be looking for one that weighs 500-850lbs in my opinion. Remember, the heavier the better for grading purposes.

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #29  
The whole point of having a scraper blade is the ability to angle it at 45 degrees and pull material in from the edge of the road. The greater the angle, the better it is able to do this without spilling material to the sides of the road. If you don't need such an angle, you are likely better using a land plane or box blade. So, if your tractor is 72" wide, a 72" wide scraper isn't going to cut it if you ever want to use it at a good angle, because anytime you angle it at all, it won't cover your tracks. In fact, as noted by another guy in this thread, even an 84" blade won't cover your tracks...84" blade at 45 degrees is only 59.4" wide. Neither will a 96" blade..its only 67.9" wide at 45 degrees. This is why good blades have an offset, so you can swing it out past your right tire when pulling rock or dirt into the center. The RB37 84" blade can offset 26"...so with a 72" wide tractor, at 45 degrees and 59.4" effective blade with (5'), you can swing the blade out past the right tire by about a foot. Assuming a 10' wide single land driveway, I wouldn't go wider because I don't want to dump material past road center anyway. That's 5' to center, so a 5' effective blade width is perfect! If your road is 12', you may want a 96"...it will give you more reach on the edges of your roads. .

/ Scraper blade - how wide? #30  
Don't buy a scrape blade you cannot rotate 180 degrees after the blade is mounted on the tractor. People use the back side of the scrape blade to level with. Nothing like owing a tool that you are only able to utilize 50 percent of it capabilities.