SCUT big enough?

/ SCUT big enough? #11  
When did the emission rules go into effect?

A couple years ago. Anything made or imported before the "Tier IV" mandate became effective could be sold, so dealers built inventories. Those "Tier III" inventories were exhausted a year ago, with a buying stampede at the end.

The rocks, though plentiful, are not huge. Most would be less than 200#. Average would likely be 75#. They are buried somewhat.. The drainage and waterline work would be above the rock zone.

A Ratchet Rake bucket attachment will pry out rocks this size, but not bigger, on a BX25D.

We borrowed a neighbor's tractor, not sure of it's size, but it seemed bigger than we needed. It was { SEEMED? ) too big for horse area cleanup. This is what has me leaning to a SCUT.

Tractors seem to shrink as you use them. I am on my third tractor, after owning two that were too light and therefore too unstable. Everyone here said BUY ONE SIZE LARGER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED, but I am a slow learner. My horsepower progression was 20-hp, 33-hp, 37-hp. My weight progression was 1,600#, 2,300#, 3,500# (tractor only). If you compare tractor specs you will find HEAVY frame tractors are only slightly larger than LIGHT frame tractors of comparable horsepower. You do have to pay for the advantageous weight.

(Find out brand, model, horsepower and weight of your neighbor's tractor.)

How are you cleaning the horse area now?

If you fill in your T-B-N profile, city and state, readers will tell you where good used equipment is available within an hour or two. Happens often.

How much of your 22 acres will actually be worked by the tractor?

Last edited:
   / SCUT big enough? #12  
I believe that the last of the new emissions requirements took effect beginning of the year. Also think it's over 26 hp as my b2650 doesn't have any of the new regeneration or fluids. Not positive but pretty sure anyways. Only you know your plans for the tractor and what you need. Here's a warning this site is great about spending your money for you!

/ SCUT big enough?
You guys are a great help. You may not be telling me what I want to hear, but I am listening. Thanks for letting mull my thought as I type out answers to you and ask more questions.

Renting a backhoe was my first thought but it doesn't work out logistically. We are well oven an hour from any town ( through mountain roads) and some things ( like livestock who is now not so lively ) we will need it now, not when we have a couple of days to try and source, pickup, and return one. My previous disposal is no longer an option, so this is needed.

The horse area to be cleaned is not large and currently only housing one horse. I have been doing it with a shovel and a small dump wagon pulled by my ATV. Works great, but my back is complaining and i would like to have options. Don't want to live on painkillers.

Most of the work is small jobs and I have got by so far without a tractor, so was thinking a small one would be enough. My ATV functions well for many tractor type duties so a larger tractor didn't seem to make sense. The more I think of owning one, the more jobs come into my head!

Half the acreage is newly in our possession. This is the part that needs some waterlines, fencing and drainage work. Very few rocks there. Again, no mowing or disking.

My neighbor doesn't know much about his tractor either. He is only out here a few days a month. He know the make, but I don't thinks he knows the size. He hardly uses it and it needs some work ( doesn't function half the time) it is over 30 years old.

Saw a listing for a LS 3010. Had a backhoe with a thumb. Sounds interesting. Asking $19,500. Low hours on it ( 58) not sure the year. Still too small?

/ SCUT big enough? #14  
I was looking a newer used, because of budget. When did the emission rules go into effect?

The rocks, though plentiful, are not huge. Most would be less than 200#. Average would likely be 75#. They are buried somewhat.. The drainage and waterline work would be above the rock zone.

We borrowed a neighbors tractor ( some weird brand, looked like an old MF but wasn't) no BH. I'm not sure of it's size, but it seemed bigger than we needed. We were using it for digging post holes. It was too big for horse area cleanup. This is what has me leaning to a SCUT. Hmmm. Going to have to rethink this.

Greetings Tully,

Normally I aim uses to a scut because smsll size with power is just as important as big size for bigger projects. Many here are years of tractor progression in action and you are just starting out as well as budgeting.

Some things you mention that are meaningful that no one noticed . . I'm sure they all saw the 22 acres part but you said Sheep. And I assume sheep means bush hogging isn't a big issue :)

Might I suggest considering a slightly bigger model than a bx25 but still not alot bigger . . Something like the following:

A yanmar 324 or 424
A kubota b2620 or b2630
A massey 1526 or 1529

All of these give you something the bx25 doesnt . . An added 3 to 6 inches of ground clearance.

None of the above units are "big" compared to a bx25 but they are all a "LITTLE BIT TALLER in the wheel/tire sizes" without being big.

As far as budget . . you can look for used in the massey or a yanmar ex version used . . Or new with low cost financing.

I think you have good inclinations . . Maybe you'd get a rock bucket or small grapple . . But I think "a little more" ground clearance would be good and still allow size fits for the barn needs.

/ SCUT big enough? #15  
I may be ostracized for saying this... But i don't necessarily agree with getting a bigger tractor. What I hear you saying is, most of your jobs are small.

I have operated many sizes and brands of tractors, but I OWN a small Deere 670. It's not the most capable tractor in terms of brute force, but it gets a lot of work done.
The best parts are:
1) Small footprint. It will squeeze into spots that many tractors won't.
2) Low fuel burn. Only 1/2 - 3/4 gal per hour.
3) Lower cost. Smaller tractor = less $
4) Maneuverability. Goes hand in hand with small footprint... It will just go anywhere.

Don't under estimate the amount of work a small tractor can do. Especially if you're used to doing these things with NO tractor -- you'll be in heaven with ANY tractor.

I'm not saying I don't ever want a bigger tractor. I do. And I'll trade up one day. But for now I am VERY pleased with the small one. I don't cut it any slack, and it does pretty much everything I need it to.
Tractors are made to work, not idle around. :)

/ SCUT big enough? #16  
You guys are a great help. You may not be telling me what I want to hear, but I am listening. Thanks for letting mull my thought as I type out answers to you and ask more questions.

Renting a backhoe was my first thought but it doesn't work out logistically. We are well oven an hour from any town ( through mountain roads) and some things ( like livestock who is now not so lively ) we will need it now, not when we have a couple of days to try and source, pickup, and return one. My previous disposal is no longer an option, so this is needed.
Logistics are important. However I would strongly recommend RENTING the size tractor you end up focusing on to ensure you didn't go to small or to big.
Against the advice of most people here I bought a new backhoe for my used B7610 in 2009. In the last 5 years I probably used it 80 hours or less. Except for the last month which I've used it about 10 hours. But I'm going to be using it in Mississippi where I'll be over an hour one way from any rentals. Also factor in weather and I understand your want to have it there and on hand.
The horse area to be cleaned is not large and currently only housing one horse. I have been doing it with a shovel and a small dump wagon pulled by my ATV. Works great, but my back is complaining and i would like to have options. Don't want to live on painkillers.
If you are wanting to get the tractor INTO a stall how big is the stall and the stall door? This is a critical factor. In a previous life I worked about 5 summers taking care of horses. I would have LOVED to have a BX18xx to shovel out the stalls and it would probably have fit with room to turn around (w/o backhoe on) in the 12x12 stalls. My M4700 wouldn't fit through a stall door and my B7610 would be tight.
Most of the work is small jobs and I have got by so far without a tractor, so was thinking a small one would be enough. My ATV functions well for many tractor type duties so a larger tractor didn't seem to make sense. The more I think of owning one, the more jobs come into my head!

Half the acreage is newly in our possession. This is the part that needs some waterlines, fencing and drainage work. Very few rocks there. Again, no mowing or disking.
Waterlines, fencing, drainage work read like one time jobs unless you envision getting more land. Here is where a rental when you can use it makes sense.
My neighbor doesn't know much about his tractor either. He is only out here a few days a month. He know the make, but I don't thinks he knows the size. He hardly uses it and it needs some work ( doesn't function half the time) it is over 30 years old.
The details on that would really help, if we know what you have been using we'll know what might work.
Saw a listing for a LS 3010. Had a backhoe with a thumb. Sounds interesting. Asking $19,500. Low hours on it ( 58) not sure the year. Still too small?
That might do IF it fits in where you need to clean the horse area. Will the loader lift a dead ewe?

/ SCUT big enough? #17  
I got along with a 19 hp tractor for 8 years. I often wanted bigger but I always figured out how to do everything I wanted to do. Except for some of the digging task where I called in bigger equipment. Now I have a 45hp and everything is easier / faster. But you can get buy with a smaller tractor and like a previous poster said... compared to a shovel, you'll think you're in heaven! Small used tractors hold value well so you can always start small and move up later if the size of your jobs grow. I sold my 19 hp for $1200 less than I paid after using it 8 years.

Also, as another poster said, consider a skid steer as well since you can generally get more loader performance in a tighter package. Might be real good for cleaning out the horse area as well as your fencing and digging tasks.

/ SCUT big enough? #18  
I got along with a 19 hp tractor for 8 years. I often wanted bigger but I always figured out how to do everything I wanted to do. Except for some of the digging task where I called in bigger equipment. Now I have a 45hp and everything is easier / faster. But you can get buy with a smaller tractor and like a previous poster said... compared to a shovel, you'll think you're in heaven! Small used tractors hold value well so you can always start small and move up later if the size of your jobs grow. I sold my 19 hp for $1200 less than I paid after using it 8 years.

Also, as another poster said, consider a skid steer as well since you can generally get more loader performance in a tighter package. Might be real good for cleaning out the horse area as well as your fencing and digging tasks.

/ SCUT big enough? #19  
I'm going to agree with the others who have recommended going up a frame size or two. 25hp is fine but a SCUT is really better for just around the house type projects. I used a Kioti CK20 which is only 20hp but about the same weight as the L2500 series. It worked very well and had no trouble supporting a 1000lb+ loader and 6 ft BH.

/ SCUT big enough? #20  
When I shopped for a small tractor, I looked at the John Deere 1-series and the Kubota BX's and I didn't feel like they were big enough for the little bit of work I do on my 4.5 acres. I ended up with a JD 2032R (but would have been just has happy with a Kubota B3350) and I've used it to do things like dig a trench to bury drain pipes, move dozens of yards of topsoil, keep my drive cleared, move around downed trees, etc. It's been a great size for me, and I think that the larger B-series or a smaller L-series would do well at what you've outlined.

You may be able to get by most of the time with a BX, but I suspect you'd be working it hard and wishing you had ponied up for something a little heavier.