SCUT big enough?

/ SCUT big enough? #31  
Well, my :2cents: That LS looks good and the price also seems reasonable. I think you need more than a SCUT, minimum CUT. A CK20 (or equivalent) w/BH would probably suffice. I went new because used late model machines are rarer than hen's teeth around here.

And with tractors bigger is better. Also a good local-ish dealer is good.

Good luck.

/ SCUT big enough? #32  
New here.

I'm looking into finally purchasing a tractor for my 22 acres. So far I'm looking at a used BX25. Need a FEL and BH. The terrain can be hard Adobe type soil, and a good portion of the digging will be in an area with large buried rocks near a creekbed. I have been pretty convinced a small tractor is all I need, but I'm concerned about it dealing with the rocks and hard ground. I'm new to the tractor world. Not looking at anything too old as repairing machines is not a strong suit.

Would a tractor with less than 25 HP be strong enough? I know weight would be a consideration. Would the BH add enough weight to matter?

We are in a remote location and travel time makes shopping, testing and such something that can only be done on a limited basis. I want to make any travel count.

I have seen listings for newer BX25, a B20, a new Mahindra 22, LS 3010 and an JD 855. Trying to keep the budget in mind.

My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny, power steering) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket, 850 lb lift to about 7.5 ft height). Worked fine for small jobs around my 10 acre place (brush hog mowing with a 4-ft wide mower, light ground work with the FEL, installing landscaping). Cost: $12.6K

It's too small for serious field work (growing hay) so I traded it in for a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny, power steering, triple rear hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft, chain hooks, skid steer quick attach option). Cost: $19K.

If I were you, I'd look for a 35-45 hp (engine) tractor with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, dual rear hydraulic remotes (triple is better) and an FEL with a 6-ft wide bucket, chain hooks, skid steer quick attach option. Add the backhoe and you're good to go. All the major manufacturers have models with these specs.

Good luck.

/ SCUT big enough? #33  
My best suggestion is to find the closest Home Depot that has a BX25 for rent and go rent it for a day or two. You will find out whether it has enough capability to do the work you need to do.

Great idea, Poopdeck! And it comes with a trailer so you can just hook up and go.

I have a BX25 on 25 acres and it is enough for me. Also, I would not be without the backhoe - I have it on all summer, and only take it off to put the snow blower on for the winter.

The BX25 is unlike any other SCUT in that it outperforms what you would expect - and by a lot! I was told by dealers that it was made for heavy construction-like work, and it has done very well for me. It also fits nicely in my garage, although you need to make sure you have an extra high OH door so you don't need to fold the ROPS down each time you put it away. (I have 8 ft.)

There are two limitations that have been a bit of a pain for me. The first is the lift capacity. (Only 745 lbs. or so at the pivot pin compared to a whopping 1700 lbs for that LS on the YouTube video.) However, that has only rarely been a serious impediment for me. (I can still fill the FEL to the brim with almost anything, even with the BXpanded.com bucket expander and carry it around, the only exception so far being wet sand.)

And the second is the digging capacity with respect to the backhoe. I have very rocky, sandy soil, and I would never try digging any deep ditch because the rocks would just make it take forever. (I had to dig a 5-foot, 100' long ditch for a new water line a while ago, and I just hired a full-sized backhoe for about $250 to do it.) But in your case, the BX25 backhoe would do just fine digging up to 6' or so, since as you said most of your soil has no rocks.

Another big consideration as was mentioned before is the space for moving around. Do you have the room for a bigger tractor? I have used my BX25 in a lot of tight spaces where it just BARELY fit, and where anything bigger could simply not have done the job.

Again, it would be a great idea to rent a BX25 from Home Depot and try it out. And do keep us posted!

James

/ SCUT big enough? #34  
I second (or third?) the recommendation to rent a BX 25 TLB first. Not so much for the stall area-- I don't think you will find anything better than a BX for that (I've rented them a few times), except maybe an EMAX Mahindra. You need to know if it can do what you need on the 22 acres. If your property has ruts and rocks you will want something with bigger sneakers, like a Kubota B, Kioti CK2510, or LS 2025. As others have noted, there's a big jump in price and tier IV issues after 25 hp.

/ SCUT big enough? #35  
I have a bx25 for my 1 acre lot but it gets works all the time, tilling, aerating , construction projects and snow removal and I would have to say you need bigger than that for 20+ acres. Agreed on renting from depot for a day and see what you think.

/ SCUT big enough? #36  
I love my B26 that I bought used (only 60 hours) but now after almost 4 years it is pushing 400 hours. Backhoe stays on all time and is used quite frequently. I like the frame size (same as the B2650) because it is very maneuverable, hauls a fair amount of volume and lifts much more. It has no problem with a rounded bucket of wet sand/rocks which I like. I would never pay the $40K price of a new one but if you can find a used one reasonably priced, I would go for it. The track width is less than my Kubota RTV900 so it will get into tight areas. A used B21 or B20 might be a good deal if you can find one in good shape and make sure that if you go with the B26, 21 or 20 that you get the 3 PH with it. I am not sure if the B20 came with PTO and 3 PH though but I am pretty sure the B21 did.

By the way, neighbor came over yesterday and asked if I would come over and dig a hole to put his Great Dane in that passed away. It took me about 5 minutes to dig a 4 foot deep x 4 feet long and 3 wide (just barely large enough for that dog) in like concrete hard soil. He would have been all day and then some doing that.

Backhoes are nice and almost a necessity to have if you have animals.