SCUT big enough?

/ SCUT big enough? #21  
As far as I can tell nothing you want to do needs a PTO. Buy a used skidsteer with a SSQA backhoe.

/ SCUT big enough? #22  
A 28-30 hp machine would be much better for your needs.

/ SCUT big enough? #23  
I'm going to go against the grain and say that a BX25 (or equivalent in a different color) would probably work ok for you. I think a lot of the responders are focused on the 22 acres rather than the tasks you listed. A BX25 (or a used BX23 or BX24) will do what you want; it will just do it more slowly than a larger tractor. But you need to work in a small space in your horse area, and the BX is the most maneuverable size you will find.

Having said that, if I was in your shoes I'd probably be looking at a B-series Kubota (or equivalent in a different color) with a backhoe. They're a little bigger, a little heavier, a little stronger, have more ground clearance and will do the same work a little faster. But they are a little larger and less maneuverable than a BX series tractor, which could be an important factor in your small space.

My best suggestion is to find the closest Home Depot that has a BX25 for rent and go rent it for a day or two. You will find out whether it has enough capability to do the work you need to do.

/ SCUT big enough?
I have seriously considered a skid steer. Haven't found anything worth looking at.

The horse area isn't terribly small. It is a dry lot for a mare who isn't allowed pasture and on a special diet. It is about 50 feet square with a ten foot gate. I can get a bigger tractor in there.

I will need to lift and bury dead sheep on occasion. About once a year. But when I need to do it I must do it NOW. The SCUTs seem to have no problem lifting 600# or so. That would be several sheep! Should be enough for the rocks around here too.

I probably should not have mentioned acreage. It only matter as to how far I need to drive to get to the job what needs doing.

Good idea on ground clearance. Hadn't thought of that. Probably something I could work around, but something to think of.

I like the idea of renting something to test it out. I don't have an appropriate trailer, so would have to source that as well.

Any thoughts on the LS S3010? I also found a listing for a Terramite T5C. Those cant change implements though. Had thought about a post hole unit, but if there is a BH that would work too, just perhaps not as neatly. Don't need too many anymore anyway.

/ SCUT big enough? #25  
The two Korean tractor brands with growing national market share and sparkling reviews on T-B-N are LS and Kioti.

RE TERRAMITE: The key part of the tractor is the Three Point Hitch.

I probably should not have mentioned acreage. It only matter as to how far I need to drive to get to the job what needs doing.

Subcompacts have only two speed HST transmissions.

Compact and larger tractors have three speed HST transmissions.

Last edited:
   / SCUT big enough? #26  
I think that LS 3010 would fit your needs well. It is a step up from the bx you were considering but not too big. The price seems very good given it has low hours and a back hoe.

/ SCUT big enough? #27  
<snip>
No, acreage is important. It reflects distance to drive which can be the difference in getting the job done in one trip or several.

Good idea on ground clearance. Hadn't thought of that. Probably something I could work around, but something to think of.
VERY IMPORTANT! Especially since the BX's were notorious for breaking a little fan underneath and thus deadlining the tractor.
I like the idea of renting something to test it out. I don't have an appropriate trailer, so would have to source that as well.

Any thoughts on the LS S3010? I also found a listing for a Terramite T5C. Those cant change implements though. Had thought about a post hole unit, but if there is a BH that would work too, just perhaps not as neatly. Don't need too many anymore anyway.
If it's like this one it looks pretty good

Especially with the backhoe already in the package!

/ SCUT big enough? #28  
I would say no. My L3240 gets worked pretty hard on half that much land. I would hate to be without a backhoe. I have gotten my money worth out of the backhoe several times over. Guys that say you don't need on must like digging through rock hard dirt that is mostly rock with a shovel more than me.

/ SCUT big enough? #29  
I would say no. My L3240 gets worked pretty hard on half that much land. I would hate to be without a backhoe. I have gotten my money worth out of the backhoe several times over. Guys that say you don't need on must like digging through rock hard dirt that is mostly rock with a shovel more than me.

Agree...maybe look for a used B21 (or a used newer B26) construction TLB. Heavier duty on a small frame.

/ SCUT big enough? #30  
. . . VERY IMPORTANT! Especially since the BX's were notorious for breaking a little fan underneath and thus deadlining the tractor. . . .

That's a cheap and easy fix. A BXpanded "Under Armor" belly pan is $150 and takes about 5 minutes to install. Problem solved.