Buying Advice SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about?

/ SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about? #21  
OP,

Just a few random thoughts...

I don't think 15 degrees of slope is as big a deal as you think. Whichever SCUT you end up with will be able to handle that slope. You may have to run in 4wd when the grass is wet to keep from spinning your back tires. But you will have significantly better traction than when running your 2wd riding mower. I think turf tires would be fine in your application.

After looking at your picture of your land, and seeing all of those trees, are you sure you wouldn't be better off mowing with a zero turn? You have a lot of stuff to steer around.

Also consider when you are doing things other than mowing, that belly mower is going to significantly reduce your ground clearance.

/ SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about? #22  
Any sub-cut with loaded tires should do fine. A drive over deck is a good thing. A standard belly mower can be pretty tough to deal with.

/ SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about? #23  
Depending on the convenience, or lack thereof, of hitching up the 3-pt implements, you might consider a quick hitch for the SCUT. Mine is miserable and the quick hitch saved a lot of bad words. The one I got is specifically designed for a SCUT.

/ SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about?
Thanks @Slowpoke Slim @MESSMAKER Yes I'm coming to that conclusion re the slope, 4WD and some weight and I'm golden. A zero turn... you're not wrong but none of my neighbours use them. They complain about slipping downslope when grass is damp, clearance and comfort over rough ground (like exposed tree roots). I expect I'll take the belly mower off when doing tractor stuff and we only have to mow six months of the year.

Here's some pics of the land in case you're curious and a funny one of a shovel I found when clearing it up, and yeah that's me having to winch my mower up to the driveway after my gravel path washed away recently. That was the final straw!

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpeg
    IMG_2076.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
   / SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about? #25  
Just my opinion, but I would think long and hard about a 3 point hitch finish mower, as opposed to a belly mount!
This based on the other uses you have in mind, and I would opt for the R-4 tires, if not R-1s!

/ SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about? #26  
Thanks @Slowpoke Slim @MESSMAKER Yes I'm coming to that conclusion re the slope, 4WD and some weight and I'm golden. A zero turn... you're not wrong but none of my neighbours use them. They complain about slipping downslope when grass is damp, clearance and comfort over rough ground (like exposed tree roots). I expect I'll take the belly mower off when doing tractor stuff and we only have to mow six months of the year.

Here's some pics of the land in case you're curious and a funny one of a shovel I found when clearing it up, and yeah that's me having to winch my mower up to the driveway after my gravel path washed away recently. That was the final straw!
I'm thinking a lot of the areas in your pictures are such that you won't want to run a finish mower over them. At least not the first few times anyway. Belly mowers are like finish mowers in that they don't tolerate cutting down a lot of brush or skipping the blades off of rocks or debris. If your end goal is to have all of it finish mowed, you may want to start off in some of that rough stuff with a brush mower instead of a belly or finish mower. Once you've cut it all down a few times, then it should lesson up in the brush, sticks and twigs, give you the chance to dig out any rocks etc and eventually you'll just be mowing grass.

Just my opinion, but I would think long and hard about a 3 point hitch finish mower, as opposed to a belly mount!
This based on the other uses you have in mind, and I would opt for the R-4 tires, if not R-1s!

Yeah I did. The MMM has some benefits for my jobs. I need to mow the dog run and the 'nice grass' close to the house and I think the MMM will be easier for visibility, turning around and reverse operation in those tighter areas. The 3 point hitch swings out when I turn, hitting the 'nice fence' posts.

And yeah R4's are the go.

Thanks mate.

/ SCUT/CUT for a newbie on 2.5 acre 15d slope, what should I think about? #28  
Here's something to be aware of regarding a SCUT:

The 3PH Category system is pretty much standard around the world. Cat 1,2 & 3 have many implements. Cat 0 have a VERY limited number of implements... and BEWARE of the "Cat 1 (Limited)" advertised capability, which basically means that it will/sort-of take a Cat 1 implement but you'll be pulling out your hair and cursing a blue-streak getting it on & off.

There are 3PH Quick-Hitch systems too. (highly recommended)

they don't tolerate cutting down a lot of brush or skipping the blades off of rocks or debris.

I've been bush bashing this Simplicity Broadmoore around here for a few years now with a mulching kit installed. It's held up to the abuse but it's clearly not the best tool for the job. Much debris has met it's match under this deck, and more than one belts have died because of it!

Here's something to be aware of regarding a SCUT:

The 3PH Category system is pretty much standard around the world. Cat 1,2 & 3 have many implements. Cat 0 have a VERY limited number of implements... and BEWARE of the "Cat 1 (Limited)" advertised capability, which basically means that it will/sort-of take a Cat 1 implement but you'll be pulling out your hair and cursing a blue-streak getting it on & off.

There are 3PH Quick-Hitch systems too. (highly recommended)

Thanks mate, @Opti-Mist also recommended the 3PH quick hitch as well.

Something odd I wonder if you could give some insight on. The FEL and 4-in-1 buckets that come with most of these SCUTS (Kubota included) here in Victoria are not SSQA/Euro Quick Attach, they are Pin On. Once a month, I expect to want to swap the bucket for some forks. The dealers look at me funny when I ask about Quick Attach *and* 4-in-1. Am I missing something here?