Seized rusted engine

/ Seized rusted engine #31  
If I remember correctly someone here said the best rust penetrating mixture is acetone and transmission fluid mixture. They say it works the best. The two will separate so you have to mix right before use.

/ Seized rusted engine #32  
I am an avid WD-40 user. It has always worked well for me as a penetrating solution as well as other stuff. It does evaporate over time so it isn't a long term rust preventative.

It is also a great product for removing glue and labels.

I HAVE used other products like PB Blaster and it is good also. I just don't see it as better than WD-40.

On another note I have a seized 8N that WD-40 hasn't got loose. Like the OP I have more time than money so I am letting it sit soaking a while. I may try mixing some ATF and diesel or something to try in it. It was supposedly running but had a burnt valve some years ago when it was parked. I have confirmed the burnt valve. Problem is they let water get in the cylinders and rust. WD-40 hasn't gone past the rings into the pan so it may be too far gone.

/ Seized rusted engine #33  
Okay Guys, I'm new at this so navigating this site presents a challenge. If I can't thank you after your helpful remarks, please accept my gratitude before hand.

Now the problem: I am trying to restore a 1948 Allis, B model. The head has been off for years and the tractor has been exposed to Oklahoma weather during this time. Mud daubers, rain, vines that have stickers, leaves, snow, the whole ball of wax. Needless to say the pistons and sleeves are rusted. It has had no oil pan attached during that time and I see that one of the bottom bearings has been removed and the crank is rusted, at least in that one position. Does anyone have a suggestion to free the pistons/crank? Would it be possible that the crank is rusted under all the bearings as well? My problem is I have a bunch of passion for this job but I lack experience since the 40s and 50s when I was a kid messing with old cars. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday's Tractors - Talk of the Town: Miracle Formula for a Stuck Engine

/ Seized rusted engine
I've had several penetrates in the piston holes since April this year. I have just managed, within the last two weeks, to move the front pulley about 1/3 turn. Will attempt to remove one piston today and see if that eases the resistance enough to get the other three moving with the starter.

/ Seized rusted engine #35  
Sounds like it is in terrible shape.

Probably the best way to break the pistons loose is to clean out the bores the best you can and pour in some penetrating solution, like WD40.

Not WD40. That is a Water Displacer, but not a true lubricant. And it evaporates. You need a penetrating oil, like Kroil or some such thing, or make your own with 50/50 transmission fluid and acetone.

/ Seized rusted engine #37  
I've had several penetrates in the piston holes since April this year. I have just managed, within the last two weeks, to move the front pulley about 1/3 turn. Will attempt to remove one piston today and see if that eases the resistance enough to get the other three moving with the starter.

Good to hear there's progress. Even if you are able to remove one or more pistons,don't use starter until after you have rotated the engine a few complete revolotions with pry bar or hand crank. Ingaging starter before engine rotate's freely will only burn out windings in starter or damage teeth on flywheel. My hat's off to you for taking this on.