Winches self release snatch block problem

/ self release snatch block problem #1  

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641
Hello friends. need advice.
I have a Kubota mx5100 as well as an old Ford 641. Wallenstein logging winch. I have been doing firewood operation for 40 years and finally purchased an Igland self release snatch block. I used it for the first time yesterday and had problems. instead of releasing the choker slides usually just jammed up against the pulley instead of tripping the release. Tried different angles, heights and even upside down. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

/ self release snatch block problem #3  
Hmm, picture of your chokers? Wire diameter? The release is not to stiff and tight?

/ self release snatch block problem #4  
To me it looks as if a collar or choker that secures log should release cable guide and block should drop free unconditionally... Would believe it may have a bind at guide pivot point or choker is not shaped/guided proper to trip the cable guide retainer...

Dale

/ self release snatch block problem #5  
I am sure you are rigging like this ????

ViewHitch2.JPG

In looking at the Ingland block picture I see here: https://www.ebay.com/i/113734223555...xauu0T7LEe3GsNQSXzvc-d9zzYuOkyVBoCs68QAvD_BwE

I see what might be a problem. There has to be room enough for the slider to run around the sheave in the groove w/o binding on anything. If the slider hits a binding point before the trigger it will jam. To me it looks like that block/spacer that is under the trip lever does not leave enough room between it and the sheave for the slider to pass by. I would look at that closely and maybe find some smaller sliders, or make a small dummy slider thing you can put on your cable so it hits the snatch block first and can pass thru that space to trip the lever, or just grind back that spacer - I don't know why it is so long but there must be a reason I don't see so go a little at a time.

gg

/ self release snatch block problem
I have 3/8 cable with standard size sliders. The release arm works freely by hand. The slider usually never gets to the release arm but butts against the pulley and stops. Not pulling anything excessive.

/ self release snatch block problem #7  
Try rigging with the part of the snatch block that has the release arm facing down toward the ground.

/ self release snatch block problem #8  
I have 3/8 cable with standard size sliders. The release arm works freely by hand. The slider usually never gets to the release arm but butts against the pulley and stops. Not pulling anything excessive.

I think if you look close you might see that the slider is butted against the pulley and that rectangular block spacer under the lever so it can't enter the pulley to trip the lever. You need to correct that interference or make your self a smaller pseudo slider thingy that won't jam against that spacer but will swing the lever.

gg

/ self release snatch block problem #9  
I own this type of snatch block and never had any trouble like this, pic of the sliders?

/ self release snatch block problem #10  
I own this type of snatch block and never had any trouble like this, pic of the sliders?

That is good - you will be more help to him than me. I am just guessing on how it could jam. I agree that pictures are needed.

gg