Winches self release snatch block problem

/ self release snatch block problem #23  
Turn the snatch block over so the cable falls down and away when it comes off.

selfreleasesnatchblock.jpg

Bruce

/ self release snatch block problem #24  
Should not matter, when it hits the realease cable will jump off.

/ self release snatch block problem #25  
I like to have gravity helping me. :)

Bruce

/ self release snatch block problem #26  
I like to have gravity helping me. :)

Bruce

That is what I always thought too. I always put the cable down. But after I watched that Igland video I wondered if maybe due to gravity the heavy snatch block actually falls faster than the suddenly limp and relatively light cable. Looking at their video it seems that it doesn't matter which way it goes.

gg

/ self release snatch block problem #27  
Three Rivers Forestry

"When obstacles prevent direct winching, or when the remaining trees are to be protected from damage, a self-releasing snatch block should be used. The Farmi snatch block releases the cable when the keyhole slider reaches it. The snatch block is attached to an anchor tree with a nylon strap which prevents damage to the tree. The automatic cable release works only when the pulley is turned upside down, which is when the release mechanism is facing the ground. "

Bruce

/ self release snatch block problem #29  
Three Rivers Forestry

"When obstacles prevent direct winching, or when the remaining trees are to be protected from damage, a self-releasing snatch block should be used. The Farmi snatch block releases the cable when the keyhole slider reaches it. The snatch block is attached to an anchor tree with a nylon strap which prevents damage to the tree. The automatic cable release works only when the pulley is turned upside down, which is when the release mechanism is facing the ground. "

Bruce

I know - I used to believe that until I saw the video. I am not trying to argue. I just find it interesting food for thought.

Edit: We are talking about an Ingland S/Blk here and if Ingland makes a promotional video showing the open face up it should be safe to assume it is OK the use the Ingland S/Blk that way.

gg

/ self release snatch block problem #30  

Looking at this pic ^^^ now on a desktop computer, it sure does appear that those sliders are for a much bigger mainline cable than on our 3 pt winches use. Could there be enough "slop" with a small cable in this big slider that the slider is hitting the body of the snatch block, stoping it there instead of releasing the guide in another in or so of travel?
It's hard to judge the size from a photo, but that scenario seems like a possibility. There's a pic on the above link to 3 rivers forestry of the 2 sizes of sliders that they offer illustrating the size difference.