Winches self release snatch block problem

/ self release snatch block problem
I am trying something different today and will get back

Hoobie

I am sure you are rigging like this ????

View attachment 628389

In looking at the Ingland block picture I see here: https://www.ebay.com/i/113734223555...xauu0T7LEe3GsNQSXzvc-d9zzYuOkyVBoCs68QAvD_BwE

I see what might be a problem. There has to be room enough for the slider to run around the sheave in the groove w/o binding on anything. If the slider hits a binding point before the trigger it will jam. To me it looks like that block/spacer that is under the trip lever does not leave enough room between it and the sheave for the slider to pass by. I would look at that closely and maybe find some smaller sliders, or make a small dummy slider thing you can put on your cable so it hits the snatch block first and can pass thru that space to trip the lever, or just grind back that spacer - I don't know why it is so long but there must be a reason I don't see so go a little at a time.

gg

IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0069.JPG

Problem solved. in looking at the picture from Gordon Gould of his hookup I saw the problem. His picture shows a hook on the end of the cable to attach a choker chain to. This gives the chance to hookup 2 or 3 feet from the log and the next chokers slide only as far as the hook. this gives a lead out front of the logs to work the snatch block. Looking at my picture of my cable end and chokers that came with the winch, the cable end has no hook and is actually a cable choker. there is no way to hookup with a lead. So the following 2 choker slides snug right up to the cable choker on the first log and get tangled up in the cluster of log but ends. Only with luck will they hit the snatch block just right to make it work.
So yesterday I put a grab hook on the end and hooked up like in Gordons picture. Everything works fine. Thanks to all who helped me here.

Hoobie

/ self release snatch block problem #33  
Glad you figured it out. That picture helped you in a way that I would't expect but glad it did !! I certainly can't take any credit. So you are saying that you use the end of your cable as a cable choker by circling the log and putting the knob end into the yellow cable choker slider. I was wondering why you had that on there. Then with the log face right there up tight the two chain choker sliders couldn't fold back the way they should and/or the log hits the snatch block before the sliders do. Must have been an "Ah-Ha moment". Who would of thunk it - as they say.

gg

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly it. My new winch came that way. My old winch had a hook like yours.

/ self release snatch block problem #35  
My winch originally had a grab hook on the end. I did not find it all that useful for logging, since it was too easy for the choker to come out of the hook when pulling over rough terrain. When I finally beat up the cable enough to need a replacement cable, I switched the end to a swivel end fitting with keyhole:

Swivel-End-Fitter-T3small.png

The wedge that locks the cable in place makes it easy to re-use when it's time to replace the cable again.

I bought this one from Hud-son. They used to sell one designed for larger cable sizes, which did not have the swivel in it, but I'm not seeing it on their website these days.

/ self release snatch block problem #36  
Problem solved. in looking at the picture from Gordon Gould of his hookup I saw the problem.

Gordon is also using a gravity-assisted self-release snatch block. :)

Bruce