Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200?

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #1  

ErikVann

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson 1742
Hello everyone,
I have decided to sell my ford 1920 tractor. I am quite fond of this teactor but I have a need for more loader capacity and would like both hydraulic remotes and a Third function valve. I have looked at the following factors,
Jd 4044m
Mf1742
Kubota mx5200
I have no brand loyalty just want to get the most for my money. I have made initial inquiries about each tractor. Jd wants $35k for the 4044m with two valves. Massey wants $30k for the 1742. And the kubota dealer wants $31k for the mx5200. The kubota is probably more tractor than I need but the price is attractive. I went there expecting to be shown some L series tractor, dealer pushed the mx, only $900 more than the L series. The jd has the least bells and whistles. The loader is fixed, telescoping 3pt links are extra.... Frankly I don't see how I will be persuaded to spend a premium for less tractor than all the others. The massey is similar in size to the jd but it is their premium line and had a few more features than the jd and the kubota. Jd has the best financing 0%72 months haven't run the numbers but not sure the financing will make enough difference. Kubota has the worst financing 4.7 for 84 months and massey is 4% for 84.
I use the tractor commercially for landscaping, grading, material handling and a variety of other personal uses. I would like to get a grapple and start doing more land clearing and more forestry related work so the larger kubota is appealing for that purpose but also a bit more awkward for working In a landscaping setting. The Massey has higher auxiliary hydraulic flow but seems smaller. I haven't elaborated much on how I am using the tactor but should I get the larger frame kubota or smaller framed mf with more creature comforts? Thanks for your input
Erik

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #2  
The Kioti NX series has many of the options that you have mentioned and are very competitive in the pricing department as well.
Have you already sold your 1920?? I know a couple of fellows here in NC that are looking for that size machine.

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #3  
The Kioti NX series has many of the options that you have mentioned and are very competitive in the pricing department as well.
Have you already sold your 1920?? I know a couple of fellows here in NC that are looking for that size machine.

I agree on the Kioti. If you have a Kioti dealer near you, go check them out. Just bought a smaller CK 27 than what you are looking for but Kioti makes a very good fit and finish tractor. I looked at the JDs but their specs didn't match up with the Kioti. Massey also has a good tractor. You might want to look at the Case/IH tractors also. Have you actually test driven any ? That might make the difference....to me it is very important that you feel comfortable in the seat with the controls. The Kioti also is a heavy machine, out weighing the JD by 1,000 lbs for the series i looked at. Good luck in your search !

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #4  
Of those 3 choices, the Kubota is the strongest. But, to be fair, the Massey 1749 is the tractor you'd compare it to, then the MF is stronger.

I think out of those 3 though, the MX is a bit more rugged in its build and finish, so maybe that would suit you better?

I'd also compare the LS XR4046 if you want to stay blue (same as the NH Boomer 47, which is made by LS). LS sells that tractor for around $23k. Not sure on financing though.

Are you wanting HST trans?

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200?
Thanks for the input. I called the local (sort of) kioti dealer the other day. It didn't sound like he had any tractors on the lot and couldn't provide any pricing info for the tractors he was expecting. I will check back with him early next week. Do you have an idea of what the kioti might cost? I wasn't sure what series kioti would be comparable to the tractors I haven been looking at.

I don't know where there is an LS dealer locally. I will look into it.

I have Been shopping for the shuttle transmision. Coming from the straight gear drive non synchro that will be a huge upgrade and I would prefer to put my money towards more tractor.

I have not sold the 1920 yet but there has been a lot of interest. I am located in MA. Probably a bit of a stretch for some one in NC but thanks for the thought

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #6  
Thanks for the input. I called the local (sort of) kioti dealer the other day. It didn't sound like he had any tractors on the lot and couldn't provide any pricing info for the tractors he was expecting. I will check back with him early next week. Do you have an idea of what the kioti might cost? I wasn't sure what series kioti would be comparable to the tractors I haven been looking at.

I don't know where there is an LS dealer locally. I will look into it.

I have Been shopping for the shuttle transmision. Coming from the straight gear drive non synchro that will be a huge upgrade and I would prefer to put my money towards more tractor.

I have not sold the 1920 yet but there has been a lot of interest. I am located in MA. Probably a bit of a stretch for some one in NC but thanks for the thought

If you are looking for a shuttle, checkout the Kioti DS4510. It offers a hydraulic shuttle. The DS series doesn't have the "premium" features, but it's very similar to the Kubota MX ... More of a "basic work truck" type machine. You could probably get one of those for around $22k, and it comes with a strong loader.

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #7  
Of those three, I would go with the Kubota followed by the Massey.

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200?
I made another round of visits to the dealers today. I ruled out the jd. To much money and not enough features. There isn't evena bucket level indicator available for the d series bucket. I don't see the draw of the green and gold. Maybe if I was raised in a farming family that bled green.

I saw the kioti dealer today. He had 1 nx5510. It was nice. I didn't get all wobbly kneed about it but it is certainly a good size tractor. It seems like there are a ton of features on it.

I think I am leaning towards the massey. I liked the operators station. It is comfortable and ergonomic. The location of the loader is well placed in relation to the arm rest on the seat. As are the remote valve levers. I was most impressed by the speed of the hydraulics. Much faster than any of the others. I can get the hydro or power shuttle for the same price. Not sure which to go with.

The sales man could smell blood he even tried to give me a MF official owners hat as I was leaving. Going to sleep on it. Thanks for the advice. Now I need to start shopping for a grapple.

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #9  
I made another round of visits to the dealers today. I ruled out the jd. To much money and not enough features. There isn't evena bucket level indicator available for the d series bucket. I don't see the draw of the green and gold. Maybe if I was raised in a farming family that bled green.

I saw the kioti dealer today. He had 1 nx5510. It was nice. I didn't get all wobbly kneed about it but it is certainly a good size tractor. It seems like there are a ton of features on it.

I think I am leaning towards the massey. I liked the operators station. It is comfortable and ergonomic. The location of the loader is well placed in relation to the arm rest on the seat. As are the remote valve levers. I was most impressed by the speed of the hydraulics. Much faster than any of the others. I can get the hydro or power shuttle for the same price. Not sure which to go with.

The sales man could smell blood he even tried to give me a MF official owners hat as I was leaving. Going to sleep on it. Thanks for the advice. Now I need to start shopping for a grapple.

If I may ... If you are going with the Massey, I would highly recommend going up to the 1749. The Tractor is the same overall size, but it will come with a stronger loader than found on the 1742. And, if you have the option, I'd recommend getting the old loader, the DL130, vs the new style DL135.

Now regarding the HST vs PS ... I like both depending on intended uses. Make sure you spend some time operating each one, and especially, try to find a pile of dirt or rocks at the dealership to play with both. Some dealers don't have that available, but if they do, it's very insightful if you can spend some time playing with each.

/ Selling my ford 1920 help me choose my next tractor, jd 4044, mf1742, kubota mx5200? #10  
Dont be in too much of a hurry to sell your ford . Its a smaller tractor , and probably paid for . The second machine does come in handy . There have been times I have loaded dirt from one site and spread it at another site , having a tractor at each spot worked well.