Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,041  
My 2021 car trailer has a break-away system with battery. I don't know how to test it, but do ANY of them actually work?
Yes they work. Just pull the pin and try to drive to see if it's working. If you can manually apply the brakes with the controller but they don't work when you pull the pin, either your battery is bad or you have a wiring problem.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,042  
My 2021 car trailer has a break-away system with battery. I don't know how to test it, but do ANY of them actually work?
Pull the pin on it (Will be at end of cable on trailer). I've done this with my flatbed trailer and my 5th wheel to test. Works as should. Just be sure to put the pin back in...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,043  
Kinda hard for the safety chains to be of use when the trailer tongue breaks or disconnects mid-way. There definitely should have been breaks though.
Safety chains should have been attached to the frame of the trailer, not the sliding hydraulic brakes mechanism.

My flatbed is electric brake though (with chains on frame). 5th wheel is electric, but doesn't have chain restraint.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,044  
Pull the pin on it (Will be at end of cable on trailer). I've done this with my flatbed trailer and my 5th wheel to test. Works as should. Just be sure to put the pin back in...
I get the "pull the pin" part but, does it just go straight back in w/o resetting anything?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,045  
Pull the pin on it (Will be at end of cable on trailer). I've done this with my flatbed trailer and my 5th wheel to test.
Make sure to unplug the trailer plug first. On my Ram 1500, it'll blow the fuse for the service brakes, least ways it did on mine. Not a big fix if you know about it but a real pia if you don't. Factory brake harness and controller.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,047  
As noted in prior post, in PA we are required to have them tested by inspection site every year. We're also required to have brakes on all axles, whereas most states seem to require them on only one axle of a tandem axle trailer. Always adds a bit to the quoted price of any trailer, once they learn you're in PA. I actually think it's a good idea, not just for the added stopping power and redundancy, but even more every time I see someone driving around with a hitch way too tall or short, to where just one axle is carrying the majority of the load.

Make sure to unplug the trailer plug first. On my Ram 1500, it'll blow the fuse for the service brakes, least ways it did on mine. Not a big fix if you know about it but a real pia if you don't. Factory brake harness and controller.
That's weird. Think the trailer was wired positive ground, while your vehicle was negative ground? Anyone else ever have this happen? I'll admit, I can't remember ever intentionally trying this while connected.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,048  
That's weird. Think the trailer was wired positive ground, while your vehicle was negative ground? Anyone else ever have this happen? I'll admit, I can't remember ever intentionally trying this while connected
I thought it was odd as well but I figured if that's the only problem I have if my trailer gets away from me, it'll be the least of my worries LOL. I just make sure that when I do test it, I unplug it.
It's definitely wired neg ground, it's happen to a couple of new trucks at work (both Rams) when I was working as well.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,049  
When the emergency pin is pulled that little auxillary battery is directly connected to your trailer brakes at full battery voltage voltage that in turn lowers the aux batteries voltage to a level much lower then your trucks battery so your truck is trying to charge that battery through a circuit which can't handle that much current.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,050  
Battery polarity doesn't matter with most of the "Old" trailers. Brakes and lights will work either way. However, if you have LED lights polarity does matter. It won't hurt them, they just won't work with it reversed.