Shear pin nightmare

/ Shear pin nightmare #1  

Bigbear4x4

Tractor
John Deere 4115
I would be forever grateful if someone can solve this problem I have.
I have an older Erskine Rear PTO snowblower. I refurbished and painted it to kinda match my 4115 John Deere.
Problem is I can snowblower all afternoon no problem. If I turn off the PTO for 2 - 3 minutes then back on , starts up great.when I stop the blower for 5 minutes or so while cleaning up with the bucket. When I turn the blower back on , SNAP , there goes another driveshaft shear cut bolt. The unit is garaged at 56 °f
So now , obviously, everything is locked up tight. I return to the garage and an hour or 2 later go examine it and find No rocks and now everything spins freely with no sounds of rubbing anywhere. There are drain holes behind the impeller.
I bought this from my brother who run it 3 years and never cut a shear pin ! What's happening ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_142652.jpg
    IMG_20230130_142652.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20230130_144111.jpg
    IMG_20230130_144111.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
   / Shear pin nightmare #2  
You need to check it right after the shear pin breaks (not after it has thawed out) to see what is blocking it. One theory is that maybe you aren't giving it a chance to clear out fully when you stop blowing and then it gets stuck on a chunk of ice.

/ Shear pin nightmare
You need to check it right after the shear pin breaks (not after it has thawed out) to see what is blocking it. One theory is that maybe you aren't giving it a chance to clear out fully when you stop blowing and then it gets stuck on a chunk of ice.
Your right, Hard to get around with an oxygen tank hanging from my neck because I have COPD. Thanks for your quick response.

/ Shear pin nightmare #4  
Leave it parked outside. Its the warm garage melting some schmutz of the chute, falls into the cold impeller, maybe refreezes, and locks it up.

/ Shear pin nightmare #5  
Another option is to raise the blower a bit and keep the PTO on while you're doing your bucket work.

/ Shear pin nightmare #6  
Are those "electro-matic" pto clutches to blame?

(I don't know if your tractor has such)

Inertia is a LAW!

/ Shear pin nightmare #7  
Two possible issues:

1. Shear pins you are using may be the wrong grade (too weak). Check the manual to see what grade they shoukd be.

2. The slight moisture that builds up around the fan that shoots the snow up through the chute while it’s running (melting particles of snow due to friction ) can freeze up quickly when you stop for a minute while you’re snowblowing. That happens to the blower on my skidsteer (which is all hydraulic; no shear pins). I carry a small ten pound hammer in the cab and give the fan blades a few quick heavy whacks to break the ice bond. It works.

My guess your main issue is the quick freeze up described in #2 since it only happens when you engage the pto after having run it for awhile. Keep a hammer under your seat and give the fans blades some strong whacks; it won’t hurt them.

/ Shear pin nightmare
Thanks guys for your input but keep in mind, my brother run it three years on the back of his Ford tractor and Not once did he ever snap a shear pin. All I did to it after I bought it was clean it up and paint it.

/ Shear pin nightmare #9  
I can understand your breathing challenges and commend you for continuing to try and get chores done. My wife of 54 years had lung issues and died this past Aug.

Could you please post a photo of the head of the bolts you are using as shear bolts.
A closeup photo of the shear bolt hole. Has it become oval with the frequent shear bolt breaking.
A photo of the blower in the fully raised position so we can judge the angle the U joints are having to deal with. I am assuming when you restart the blower it is in the fully raised position.

In the short term keep the blower running during the times you are using the bucket.

Looking forward to your reply.

Dave M7040

/ Shear pin nightmare #10  
My thought is something is freezing once you stop long enough for it to freeze. If your stop is short enough it does not have a chance to refreeze. When you park it inside again it has a chance to thaw out again.
Does the type of snow or temperature make any difference to breaking shear pins?