Shear pin nightmare

/ Shear pin nightmare
When you shut it down to use the bucket - water/slush refreezes - - somewhere. Don't shut it down. Does not hurt a thing to keep it running.

I use to have a 3-point blower. Any time I had to blow anything less than dry, fluffy snow - I could have the same experience. Just about anything would blow a shear pin on mine. Ice chunk, frozen slush, limb, stick, frozen pocket gopher - you get the idea.

Going to a higher grade shear pin IS NOT the answer.
I hear you, not comfortable with a grade 3 bolt anyway. Frustrating ! Thanks for sharing your experience.

/ Shear pin nightmare
Two possible issues:

1. Shear pins you are using may be the wrong grade (too weak). Check the manual to see what grade they shoukd be.

2. The slight moisture that builds up around the fan that shoots the snow up through the chute while it’s running (melting particles of snow due to friction ) can freeze up quickly when you stop for a minute while you’re snowblowing. That happens to the blower on my skidsteer (which is all hydraulic; no shear pins). I carry a small ten pound hammer in the cab and give the fan blades a few quick heavy whacks to break the ice bond. It works.

My guess your main issue is the quick freeze up described in #2 since it only happens when you engage the pto after having run it for awhile. Keep a hammer under your seat and give the fans blades some strong whacks; it won’t hurt them.
Hi, gonna try spraying WD-40 inside the tunnel and all over impeller just to see if it makes a difference. We are expecting 6" snow Friday, Nothing ventured Nothing gained !

/ Shear pin nightmare #24  
Hi, gonna try spraying WD-40 inside the tunnel and all over impeller just to see if it makes a difference. We are expecting 6" snow Friday, Nothing ventured Nothing gained !

It doesn’t help; anything you put on (other than paint) is gone in the first few minutes of use.

The hammer is the simple and easy solution.

/ Shear pin nightmare #25  
Fluid Film works, but is pricy in large quantities. Guess what I do? I get a pack of Crisco shortening in brick form and I just rub that liberally all over the snow contact surfaces. Re-apply between sessions. It does NOT return to the kitchen. Food grade, won't hurt a thing.

/ Shear pin nightmare #26  
Hard to believe your brother used it for years without shearing a pin.

/ Shear pin nightmare #27  
I Always lower rpm to about 1500 and lower blower to the group. Once it starts working , I bring it up to 2500 rpm. Right now, thawed out, every in neutral spins very nice. No rubbing anywhere. And yes , electric pto. Thanks for your input
Could that be the problem? Try dropping the RPM all the way down before disengaging & engaging.

On the shear bolt, I have a 60" HD blower on the front of my 3039R and it has 1/4" grade 5 shear bolts.

/ Shear pin nightmare #28  
I also wonder about the JD electric engage PTO since the person I purchased by blower from had JD and he complained about constantly breaking shear pins. Had the blower 3 or 4 years now and broke one when hit a chunk of ice. My tractor has mechanical PTO engagement via the clutch.

/ Shear pin nightmare #30  
The OP must be confusing Grade 5 bolts by calling them Grade 3?-for 3 hash marks on the head.
Grade 2 usually make lousy shear bolts because they seldom break cleanly and tend to help elongate the hole.
Wonder what Erskine recommends?