Shelterlogic garage owners

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #1  

crazyangel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HST; Kubota RTV900
I am putting up a Shelterlogic garage to store my tractor in. I have cleared the top soil, and placed a plastic vapor barrier under 6" of crushed stone. I have also used 2x8 pressure treated lumber as a sill plate under the sides. What additions should I consider as I finish the job? Also what are your experiences with the optional vent kit? Thanks all! :)

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #2  
I would get the vent kit. I didn't and started to get some rust issues on some stuff I had in it. On a humid morning you could go in the shelter and everything would be wet, including the shelter frame and cover. Mine was not shelter logic branded, but appeared identical.

Ken

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #4  
Electrical outlets, the more the better, always hated extention cords, and lots of lighting.
david

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #5  
I have two of these garages. In addition to the 2X8s along the sides, do the same across the front and back to keep them from spreading - kind of like having a frame.
I screwed all four of the board together on mine and can tow it around with my tractor.
I made a makeshift roll-up door for one of mine with a dowel through the bottom of the door, two pieces of rope and two pulleys at the top. It makes getting the tractor in and reduces the possibility of damaging the door.
I like these garages. I use one for my tractor and a couple implements, and the other for storing firewood and other stuff.

/ Shelterlogic garage owners
the6shooter said:
Electrical outlets, the more the better, always hated extention cords, and lots of lighting.
david

That is a great idea. I would love to put some outlets in there. Unfortunately, I have no electrical service at the land right now. I have to use a generator to run anything that needs electric. That will definitely be my first upgrade when we get electric service.

Artisan said:
Hope ya can post up pics!

I'll post some pics of the assembly process later this week when I finish.

kensnelling said:
I would get the vent kit. I didn't and started to get some rust issues on some stuff I had in it. On a humid morning you could go in the shelter and everything would be wet, including the shelter frame and cover. Mine was not shelter logic branded, but appeared identical.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I am worried about exactly what you described. So the vents took care of your condensation? I am planning to pick up the kit. Hopefully it will keep things dry.

Rustywreck said:
I have two of these garages. In addition to the 2X8s along the sides, do the same across the front and back to keep them from spreading - kind of like having a frame.
I screwed all four of the board together on mine and can tow it around with my tractor.
I made a makeshift roll-up door for one of mine with a dowel through the bottom of the door, two pieces of rope and two pulleys at the top. It makes getting the tractor in and reduces the possibility of damaging the door.
I like these garages. I use one for my tractor and a couple implements, and the other for storing firewood and other stuff.

Sounds like a great idea. I was considering tying the sides together but wasn't sure of it was worth it. You've convinced me! :thumbsup:

I'd love to see some pics of your roll up door too.

Have you guys done any more significant anchoring than what was provided with the garage?

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #10  
I have had three of these types of buildings. Snow is a significant issue here in MN. The round roof and steep barn style roof, shed heavy snow very well. I placed anchors at every support post as the wind will twist these sheds into unique artistic sculptures. I wish I had thought to put a vapor barrier on the ground (I will have to add one some time this summer). Ventilation and air flow is key. Get the door kit and vents, they are well worth the extra money. If its not too late I would get the sheds with 2 inch pipe and up-grade the fabric covering. My commercial 2 inch pipe shed cover lasted about 10 years. The standard covers last about 3 years. Customer service from Shelter Logic has been exceptional. They replaced a cover that had a two foot section of bad seem on the lower corner. All I had to do was send a picture of the defect.