Shelterlogic garage owners

/ Shelterlogic garage owners
That door setup is great. I cant remember how it was done but in the steam room of a block making plant I worked at the ropes were setup in such a way as the door rolled up against itself as you pulled the string. Maybe check on youtube or google to see if there is an instruction movie available. I know it was just two pulleys and a pipe on the bottom just like your setup.

I found the instructions on the shelter logic site. The materials are pretty easy to come by. I don't think it would cost anywhere near the $30 they charge for the kit. It seems like a pretty good way to go.

Pull-Eaze Roll-Up Door Kit:ShelterLogic

Thanks for the pics Rustywreck!

Last edited:
   / Shelterlogic garage owners #22  
We're considering a shelter and have a question for other owners; yes we know the sun is bad but what does the tree sap do...is it like an acid? Looking for a small shelter to place in the woods that will store utility trailers, push mowers etc out of the way.

So basically I don't care about the tree sap as long as I can get 5 years out of the shelter. Thanks.

Tree Sap has not affected my cover but tree limbs loaded with snow/ice that bend and touch the shelter will ruin it in just a few min. The longest life of the non-upgraded gray cover I have obtained is 3 years due to two 20 inch snow storms (just too much weight). Replacement covers are easy to install as you don't have to assemble the frame again. I tried to upgrade the fabric when I replaced one of my covers but shelterlogic would not let me. I do not have Pine Trees so cannot address Pine Sap issues. Over all I have been happy with the shelters.

Finally got my shelter finished today. It feels great to have my tractor back under cover. I took some extra steps along the way that will hopefully help extend it's life. I wrapped all the screws with duct tape to help prevent chaffing on the cover. I also added some cross members tying my sill plates together which will prevent the sides from spreading. All in all I'm happy with the installation but still need to add the ropes for the doors.

I was wondering how tight is too tight on the top and sides? I want to keep it taught but not tear it apart.

Attachments

• image-720778214.jpg
    image-720778214.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3298973296.jpg
    image-3298973296.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image-3789651440.jpg
    image-3789651440.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2324597011.jpg
    image-2324597011.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 225
  • image-1666636995.jpg
    image-1666636995.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 167
  • image-639894289.jpg
    image-639894289.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 172
  • image-2941339600.jpg
    image-2941339600.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 139
  • image-3821594735.jpg
    image-3821594735.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 162
   / Shelterlogic garage owners #24  
From your pictures it appears as though the doors have changed: no center zipper on the front; rear appears to open as well (a nice feature).
The only rips or wear marks on my garage are caused by my leaning things against the fabric from the inside, and from the guide bar on the loader snagging the door when I was too lazy to tie it back.
Keeping the front legs connected so they don't spread a part and stress the zippers is key to longer door life.

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #25  
What size shelter are you putting up. Since the instructions don't mention putting the ends on before fully assembling the frame, any reason you couldn't do that?

From your pictures it appears as though the doors have changed: no center zipper on the front; rear appears to open as well (a nice feature).
The only rips or wear marks on my garage are caused by my leaning things against the fabric from the inside, and from the guide bar on the loader snagging the door when I was too lazy to tie it back.
Keeping the front legs connected so they don't spread a part and stress the zippers is key to longer door life.

A center zipper would be nice. It's kind of a pain to walk around the door with a pipe installed along the bottom. I'm sure I'll get use to it though. I'm glad to hear your cover has been so resilient to weather. I'll need to be careful about leaning stuff against the interior.

It seems that there are endless variants of these shelters depending on where you buy. I got mine from Northern Tool because it happened to go on sale AND I had a 20% off code at the time. It was a pretty smoking deal. I have seen very similar shelters to the one I bought that didn't have the back door, and they were more expensive! I guess it pays to shop around.

What size shelter are you putting up. Since the instructions don't mention putting the ends on before fully assembling the frame, any reason you couldn't do that?

It's a 12W x 24L x 10H shelter. Putting the ends on before fully assembling the frame is an interesting idea. If I do another one of these I might try to add the end cover concurrently with the assembly of the frame to avoid having to take things apart so many times.

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #28  
How much did you pay for your shelter....and shipping?

How much did you pay for your shelter....and shipping?

I got a great deal on mine. :cool2: It was on sale at Northern Tool for $640 (normally $750 plus freight), and I had a code for $50 off $250. So $590 plus $160 shipping ($750 total). :thumbsup: It weighs 370 pounds. So freight is really your only option. The same shelter at other sellers totaled $950 with shipping.

I should add that there are some "hidden costs" to consider. :eek: The shelter only comes with 6 anchors to provide temporary grounding, but I had to buy 8 more to fully tie it down as recommended in the instructions and seconded by a few guys in posts above. Add $40. I also opted for the vent kit to get moisture out of there and keep my tractor from accelerated rusting. Add $40. I wanted a rigid base to build on so I bought four 2"x10"x12' sill plates and three 2"x4"x12' cross beams to prevent spreading. Add $60. The whole thing is assembled on a 4 mil plastic vapor barrier and a load of crushed stone. Add $360. I guess I tend to go a bit over-kill on my projects, but they seem to hold up better in the long run and better meet my expectations that way. :cool:

/ Shelterlogic garage owners #30  
I have four shelterlogic shelters and for the most part love the product, but I guess the product service on this side of the border is different than those of you in the south. The first three came complete, and went together perfect. Two are three years old and are standing up well, the third we erect in the winter for the wife's truck and again is great. The fourth however has been a different matter. The shelter came with two rafter pieces missing. We are putting this up to have our boat detailing people in the shade while working in the 85 to 95 degree tempratures we have had this summer. Eight weeks later the frame is still on the ground, our detailers are lobsters and Shelterlogic claims it is trying for the third time to ship the two missing pieces. Not too impressed his time around