Shipping Containers

/ Shipping Containers #41  
I'm looking at buying twp 40 foot high cubes. One of them I think is like 15 years old but I need to go back and look at it again. The question I have is regarding rust. Those of you who have bought containers did you pony up for a 1 trip to get one in better condition or buy an older one?

If you bought an older one, did you have any problems with rust areas being badly rusted or rusted through? What did you pay for yours? I can get both 40 footers delivered for a total of $5,700.00.

/ Shipping Containers
I'm looking at buying twp 40 foot high cubes. One of them I think is like 15 years old but I need to go back and look at it again. The question I have is regarding rust. Those of you who have bought containers did you pony up for a 1 trip to get one in better condition or buy an older one?

If you bought an older one, did you have any problems with rust areas being badly rusted or rusted through? What did you pay for yours? I can get both 40 footers delivered for a total of $5,700.00.

So I was just thinking about this today, as I was spraying rust-oleum stop rust all over my new HC. I paid about 2-300 less for the HC than the regular height 40 footer and thought I had snagged a deal... well I didn't. And I have learned something important since then.

A 1-tripper is probably overkill, but if you want absolute peace of mind and a top notch container it might be worth it. There is also a mid level that is certified to be used again, and is in 80% condition or so (my estimate), just needs some paint and is back to normal, with maybe a little denting. Then there is the one I got that was cheaper than all the other quotes, these are the ones you want to avoid at all costs IMO. There is patching on it, lots of rust almost through and one of the doors is a pain to open. These are fine I guess for storing stuff, but they are not what you want, and if I wasn't planning on this being a few year fix until a larger garage, I would try to send it back.

I would stay in the 1-trip or still useable category. I paid 3k delivered for my good one that is a 40 foot regular container, it was $1800 for the container itself. The second company I bought from didn't break it down like that for me and was $2800 delivered for a high cube. I would call boss containers, or check their website and get a quote, they were professional and gave me a good container, shipping was also when I was promised, not a week late like the cheaper one.

You get what you pay for is what I found out.

bosscontainers.com

I am not a rep at all.

/ Shipping Containers #43  
I got my 40 foot container for FREE and got very cheap trucking. It has a few rust perforations. Took one of the locks off each door as it is not necessaryA friend gave me some Commercial paint and let me borrow his airless sprayer. So far so good. Glad to have it to store stuff out of the Sun and Pine Needles.

/ Shipping Containers #44  
I'm looking at buying twp 40 foot high cubes. One of them I think is like 15 years old but I need to go back and look at it again.
The question I have is regarding rust.

My first used container was purchased around 2002,, it had a label inside,, "ONLY use COR-TEN steel for repairs",,,

Weathering steel - Wikipedia

If you find one with that label, it will never rust away in the next 100 years,, no matter where it is parked,,

The new "one trip" containers are not COR-TEN,, and are designed like a soup can, use once, and dispose,,

So, it is possible that an old unit will outlast a one trip,,, :eek:

/ Shipping Containers #45  
I was more concerned with dents and how well the doors worked then rust, but a little rust doesn't bother me too much. Spending as little as possible for the best quality is much more important.

Before spending $5,600 for two containers, I would seriously look into what it would cost to build a shop instead.

/ Shipping Containers #46  
Shipping containers are BEST for what they are good for as they come. Storage, with the inconvenience of their dimensions.

To do much else with them, is often foolish, costly in time and money and in certain cases just a FAD. Might be impressive, but makes little sense. You loose everything inherant in the economies of standard building construction when you start doing things with these.

/ Shipping Containers #47  
I currently have a regular height shipping container and plan to purchase a high cube container in the near future. The two best features of a container over a traditional storage solution are no property taxes in my area and in two or so years of ownership no mice. The downside is stuff in the front of the container can be difficult to access.

/ Shipping Containers #48  
Anybody buy one of the 40 footers with doors at both ends? Sounds like the best of both worlds, tractor in and out one end and small shop or rec vehicle at the other. Can have good cross flow ventilation when using.

/ Shipping Containers #49  
I get what you're saying and I do build a lot of stuff but in this case I already have a 40 x 80 shop. I have 600 chairs and about 55 tables I need to store and these two containers will be perfect.

I ended up only buying one of the containers today. The other one turned out to not be as good of condition as I'm looking for. I'll hold out to find a better one.

I will likely paint the one I just bought.

I was more concerned with dents and how well the doors worked then rust, but a little rust doesn't bother me too much. Spending as little as possible for the best quality is much more important.

Before spending $5,600 for two containers, I would seriously look into what it would cost to build a shop instead.

/ Shipping Containers #50  
For the price dif im seeing in used vs 1 trip i can build a metal roof over a used one. Never have to worry about it leaking for 25-30yrs.

Im looking for a 20ft. The cheapest i can find is roughly $3k. The problem is im to close to the port yet not far enough. All the people want me to buy sight unseen and im not willing to do that.

Why a 20ft you ask? A 40ft wouldnt make the turn into my property. The other issue is most containers are delivered on a 40ft trailer. That wont fit on my property either.