Shooting and property lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Shooting and property lines #11  
Mike, based on Okee Dons anti gun rhetoric on this forum, combined with the comments he has privately emailed me and others, I doubt the sincerity of this. It is far more likely Just another platform to propell his political stance. Now If you read that "Harsh" that is a individual choice. Special interest sub divisions are very popular here. You seem to be makeing a number of assumptions on Dons behalf. Now call me crazy if you like but I personally, and I suspect you as well, Would have confronted them in the act or called the police. I would not have gone to the tractor forum with this. It smacks of Politics which If I'm not misstaken is clearly against the rules here.

/ Shooting and property lines #13  
That law is regards to carrying a concealed weapon and dischargeing a firearm in Public. NOT shooting on PRIVATE land. I am not defending this if it were true. No one other than a looney tune nut job would set up and shoot this way. Especially looking at the lay out of the property. So even the alleged story is hear say from some one who was in the house. It must be some trick to see all of that, that far and be so frightened, but not utilize the Public services available. Its also difficult to believe that any one driveing by would not have called the police. They must have been their a very long time with that arsenal. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Shooting and property lines
DocsKnotInn, this is an entirely legitimate inquiry, and the facts are as I stated them. I had not been at the property since before Thanksgiving until yesterday, when my daughter told me what had happened.

This same subject has been raised on this forum before without anyone casting aspersion on the writer. I raised it again because I remember that the last writer got excellent advice, and I respect the knowledge that is available on TBN. Obviously, this is not an area of expertise for me, and I hoped I would get some guidance. I am pleased that so many have offered their help.

I regret that you have allowed your personal feelings about me cloud your judgement in this matter. It is not reciprocated.

/ Shooting and property lines #16  
Ok I re read it, It still pertains to dischargeing a firearm in public and shooting from a vehicle or from a raodway. Not across one. we are honestly splitting hairs though. If Dons property is 240' wide and the adjacent parcel is 120' we are talking only 120 yards to the highway that is apparently very busy. Every bullet with out a back stop even from small arms fire would cross the road. If this is true the real criminal act was NOT calling 911. But I am just left to wonder what parent would set in a house with children and let some one unknown to them continue shooting at/near the house and across the road while obviously looking out the window to take inventory of what was being shot.

/ Shooting and property lines #17  
Don, I do not harbor any animosity towards you. As I have said before You are clearly entitled to your views. I belive you were very clear at all times about being anti guns. In fact you begin your stance on this strand that way. That certainly adds a political twist. No matter, This activety would be insane and illigal in any state. Thankfully no one on the road was shot while they culprits were being "watched". My advice, call the police, dont think about it, dont confront them, just call the police. In regards to the "facts" If you were not there you , with all due respect, are unable to convey any facts. Its just hear say and it really makes very little sense.

/ Shooting and property lines
Twinke Toes, this is apparently the meat of that statute: "...any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided..."

The problem is, even though they were shooting towards the right-of-way, I don't know of any way I can establish they were shooting over the right of way. And, it looks as if there is no State statute on distance from an occupied dwelling, only that they must be shooting over it (or towards it, I guess).

I have called the Chief of Detectives for the County Sheriff's department, another law-enforcement friend of mine and the Godfather of my 3 year old Granddaughter, but he is out of town at a conference. I can wait until he returns; this is not something that is happening every day (once the day after Thanksgiving and again this past Saturday).

I.m trying to keep this low key because these people will likely be my next door neighbors for a long time, and I don't want to start the relationship in a confrontational way.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I have a 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel mounted on a 5' high platform (for gravity refueling) almost directly in line from where they were shooting.

I did see the white, 5 gallon bucket they were using to support the bottles, about 10' in on their side of the fence, with holes in it.

/ Shooting and property lines #19  
Don, I dont honestly think you need to worry about the statutes if they are shooting in any way that the bullets would travel over the road. Their is probably a number of charges that could be brought, reckless endagerment, criminal misschef, who knows. The police will take care of that. If this propertyy has been vacant for a while I wonder if its possible that you had some intoxicated trespassers. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Shooting and property lines #20  
A couple posters have pointed out web pages with info; that would be a place to start.

Second, stop by the local Sheriff or State Trooper station. Ask them, as they could provide guidance. Take your picture and ask them directly about it.

In your daughters situation, as posted, I would have called Law Enforcement. An unknown person is shooting very close to your house, and towards a highway. Who knows if they were even your new neighbor?

I am pro-gun, and shoot often. I am BSA/Cub Scout range master qualified, teaching archery specifically. I am safety conscious and personally would not stand for the unsafe conditions, if they are in fact as you have described and in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.