Shooting and property lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Shooting and property lines
<font color="blue">Don when I say or refer to you as being anti gun I am just referring to your first post here. </font>

I plead guilty to some sarcastic humor prompted by the label that you guys tried to pin on me in the other thread. Sorry.

/ Shooting and property lines #32  
No one pinned any labels on you but yourself. In regards to your land I am NOT the one that said it wasn't yours that was mikePA. I'm sure he just miss read a post. No biggie. As far as rabble rouseing I think you made it pretty clear to a few of us you will do your very best to get any gun related post shut down. Now of course you just have psycho irresponsible gun toteing neighbors.....That you didnt see /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Shooting and property lines #33  
I love shooting my guns on my property, but always shoot where I know the bullets will not leave my property. We mainly shoot down into some draws and creek beds, and have set up targets at certain distances to do so. When I shoot my pistol, its always where there is an earth bank behind it.

One day we were shooting skeet and peppered a tin building were a neighbor was visiting (the property is vacant - he only comes every now and then) about 400 feet away. We could have been guilty of following the claybirds out of the intended direction on a couple shots, or maybe the guy just heard the shots and was lying. Regardless, we apologized profusely and made sure we shot in a safe direction. Haven't heard any more complaints.

Bottom line, gun owners should shoot safely and responsibly, and if they set it proper, the 2.5 acre tract should be sufficient. Shooting that close to a residence and more or less in that direction is poor judgment.

/ Shooting and property lines #34  
Well I'm in here late and you've already decided what you intend to do. Looking at the sat photo, I don't think there is sufficient room to shoot on any of the tracts outlined, without a backstop of some kind. My wife and son didn't appreciate it when shot from a neighbor's shotgun came sprinkling down on our backporch roof. It is up to the shooter to keep his projectiles on his own property, some folks don't think, and others just don't care. I hope you are next to the former.

/ Shooting and property lines #35  
As someone whose house was on the final end of a 12 GA rifled slug on opening day a few year ago /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, I find that people think that 500 foot rule is the point at which the bullet stops. When the shooter was confronted, he repeatedly stated the 500 foot rule. I offered to measure out 600 feet at have him stand there while I lobbed in a few 1 ounce slugs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...the bottom line is responsibilty for the entire potential path of the bullet. Know your downrange conditions, know your backstop, and more importantly, know the ballistic characteristics of the round.

/ Shooting and property lines #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">prompted by the label that you guys tried to pin on me in the other thread. Sorry.
</font> )</font>

My only advice would be to send someone else to talk to the guy. Everytime I "hear" you speak on the subject, It sounds like you are trying to "sneak one in". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Shooting and property lines #37  
Well, to sum things up...

Everyone seems to agree that the location is probably not the safest place to be shooting, even a dangerous place to be shooting. From what I've read here, the agreement looks almost 100%. Common ground has been reached. Now the people affected have to decide if they want to take the neighborly visit approach or call the police and ask them to speak with the shooter.

Let's move on, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.