Should I cover or not

/ Should I cover or not #11  
Clearly I'm still not thinking like a tractor guy -- when DarinRay mentioned cylinders I forgot that these things have some on the outside, too. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

However, thank you Bird and Gordon for answering my question about running the engine periodically. I will make a point of letting it at least come up to temperature before shutting it off. I'm sure I will be even more impressed with Gordon's advice as soon as I figure out what a "genset" is. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Not to steal this thread, but you've now led me to another question -- If I have to run the engine while my 'Bota is indoors, obviously I have to deal with the exhaust. The first notion I have is to slip some flex-pipe over the exhaust stack and just run it outdoors. But being ignorant as I am about such things I need to ask if effectively lengthening the exhaust pipe another 15 feet would have any detrimental effect on the engine itself.

I advised somebody not to be afraid of asking dumb questions, so I thought I'd better set the example. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Should I cover or not #12  
On hydraulic rams shafts that can not withdrawn for storage.
Try using a chunk of old towel soaked in chain saw bar oil to wipe shafts down.
Bar oil has sticking power far in excess of motor oil.

george

/ Should I cover or not
Thanks everyone for all the input! This unit does have the turbo and the block heater. But to be honest with you I am a newbie to all this equipment stuff so don't know very much about it just what I am told and read both here and the owner's manual, service manual, & the parts manual. WOW!!!TO MUCH INPUT FOR ME!! ha,ha. It's sometimes easier (lazy side of me) to just ask even if it is like Harv says a dumb question. But my idea is that if you don't know the answer to a question then how can one say that it is dumb????

I also see that you Gordon say put a rag in the tailpipe. Would this also be true for the equipment? I think that I've read a post on this so will have to search for it later. I do have a little coffee can over mine.

Anyone interested in more photos of this girl then just ask and I will post some because like I said I want to get rid of this big piece of equipment so I can purchase my compact so any help will be great.

/ Should I cover or not #14  
DarinRay -

Okay, I now have to ask the obvious question -- If you're "a newbie to this equipment stuff", how is it you happen to have that big bad girl?

Did she follow you home from school one day? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Should I cover or not #15  
Harv, a "genset" is RV language for the auxilliary generator, which of course, consists of generator, it's motor, housing, etc. In other words, the whole ball of wax./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

And if you use flex pipe to extend your exhaust outside, just be sure it's at least as big a diameter as the existing exhaust pipe, perhaps preferably even bigger, with NO obstructions that could cause back pressure, and there should be no problem.

Bird

/ Should I cover or not #16  
Chip, I am not up to snuff by any means, matter of fact, this flu bug has gotten worse, and I have to drive down to S.D. tomorrow to pick up the son (he decided to stay for the planned bay boat excursion, and a trip to the Wild Animal Park with his Grandpa). As to the tank heater, or block heater, I would recommend them as well as a battery plate heater.
I've never run them on diesel's but definately have in my Montana years (got down to -30 to -60 degrees at times). In extreme cold climates, it's a necessity.
Some of the northern climate fellows on the board can give you definate information in reguards to use on small diesel tractors, and I think they would highly recommend you use them.
As to the exposed polished portion of the hydraulic cylinders, my Dad used to take one of the slip over foam pipe insulator wraps and grease the cylinder heavily and slide one of them over it. Did okay in Oregon!

/ Should I cover or not
I am just a guy that had some projects to do around the homestead and thought why should I pay for someone to have all the fun so I started shopping around for something that I thought would have a good return when my projects were done and so I bought this girl that is a must for most of the items that I have done if you are strapped for time which I was. I sometimes have a habit of going too for it all or nothing and now it is a learning adventure that will probably never end both mechanically and operationally. I guess I did go big for my first backhoe but I do own a Magnatrac also but don't have any current pictures just of the previous owner on it. Has anyone else used or seen one of these?

I think I am sold on the bar chain lube idea because it is does have excellent adhering properties. The only concerns that I actually did have is that one you put this foreign material on it will it get carried into the hydraulic system and mess anything up.

/ Should I cover or not #18  
Looks like 42 D's, eh. Sorry, couldn't resist......

/ Should I cover or not #19  
DarinRay,
I seen and older style,but never one with a backhoe. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Looks like it could be loads of fun. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Should I cover or not #20  
I always put white spray grease on the exposed cylinder rods on my backhoe.

As far as an engine heater, I haven’t added one yet to my tractor. My 166 horsepower genset has a very interesting one on it. It is about 8”x3”x6” and it hooks up to hoses like a car heater. The heater is also a plug in electric model. The thing that I like about it over all the other ones that I have saw is that the heater pumps the hot water through the entire engine. Anywhere you touch on the engine it is always warm and it starts great. I need to check into the price for it.
JerryG