Should I "Upgrade"?

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #31  
I have an older Mahindra and my best friend has a newer one. I wouldn't buy a mahindra. Dealers are lawn mower shops. Barely know what parts are.
shredxcam is right about the dealer network, at least what I've seen. When I was tractor shopping a few years ago (NW Indiana - before I moved to Iowa), the closest dealer mostly sold Lawn and Garden stuff, lots of zero turn mowers. Today, the dealer is still there, not selling M tractors though. I'm glad I bought green.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #32  
If I was dragging logs for a living I think I'd keep the little Case compact tractor for the FEL and the handiness for chores and moving sections and slash. And I'd go looking for a used full size 90/100 hp Ag tractor with power shift for dragging logs.
That way you would avoid the DPF and similar systems that have you so concerned.
I can't see that moving up in size 25% is going to make enough difference to the log.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #33  
How big is a "decent sized log"?

I think in one of your posts you said you're moving logs 1/2 mile? To me that calls for a better log handing system than dragging them the whole way. I don't drag logs farther than I have to. It gets the log all dirty which is hard on the saw, and it's hard on my dirt roads.

I'd look into an alternate, like a log arch that lifts the logs entirely. If you're cutting to 8' you won't need a really long one. Or a log trailer. Then take the money you'd spend on a new tractor and buy a grapple and rear ballast, or a forestry winch, or both. The winch is useful for logs that you can't drive up to with the grapple. Then use the grapple or winch to pull logs out to a landing where you can load them on the trailer or log arch for transport.

Or come up with your own system, that's just some ideas.

OTOH there's nothing wrong with buying a new tractor. The new Bransons have some cool features like a 4 speed synchromesh range transmission and the ability to command a regen if it ever needs it (that was a problem for a few people in cold area, mine doesn't have that and hasn't needed it). Bransons are heavy and have a lot of loader capacity which is useful for grappling logs.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #35  
Keep what you have and improve its capabilities.
Gotta agree with this.

I'm a bit stumped (no pun intended) how your 4WD, 3500lb, 45HP tractor is having any trouble at all pulling 8' log sections. Shoot, just carry them on the front loader with some forks or a grapple. My much lighter tractors can carry multiple 8' log sections on forks on the front loader.

Unless you have some crazy 40" diameter logs, an 8-foot section is generally under 1000lbs. Should be a piece of cake.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #37  
I currently have a 2010 Case IH Farmall 45 HST. It only has about 450 hours on it and does almost everything I need to do. The only thing I don't like is it is fairly lightweight and has trouble hauling decent sized logs out of the woods with me cutting them in 8ft or so size sections.

I'd like to add a grapple to it, but with a quick attach bucket or 3rd function I'm looking at about $2,500 to swap over to that setup minus grapple.

I can get a Mahindra 2660 HST for around $10,000-$12,000 more than what a used version of my tractor is selling at currently. It will need the grapple and 3rd function, but would come with a quick attach, rear remotes, and about 20% more PTO power than what I have now. Plus more loader and lift capacity.

I'm just worried the Mahindra won't be as refined as what I have now. The Mahindra is the brand that appeals to me because of the lack of DPF. Trying to decide if I should upgrade now, take the farm tax credit for the next few years, or upgrade what I have then by a power shuttle 65hp+ in 5 or so years while keeping the 45 for the smaller stuff.
Have you considered an older, but much heavier farm tractor? They will have the weight and ruggedness needed to skid logs, plus no electronics to go bad. One with 45 hp would probably weight almost twice what your modern tractor does. There is no substitute for weight when working in the woods, especially in mud or snow. My 35 hp tractor weights 4500 bare, probably almost 6K with calcium and some front weights. It will pull just about anything I want to from my woods - 18" ash logs 24 ft long are no problem, as long as I can get the front off the ground with my 3 pt hitch.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #38  
I have a small (16hp) Mahindra that has done everything I have asked of it over the years. Keeping my mower deck on the back is just enough weight to keep me stable when I have a full bucket load of dirt. Without it I would tip forward quite often, which is funny and scary when it has happened to me.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #39  
There are a few Mahindra dealers who really know tractors--just added the brand to an existing lineup of other products; but they are very rare. Most places don't have the facilities or skills to handle a major problem with any tractor...compact or otherwise.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #40  
I currently have a 2010 Case IH Farmall 45 HST. It only has about 450 hours on it and does almost everything I need to do. The only thing I don't like is it is fairly lightweight and has trouble hauling decent sized logs out of the woods with me cutting them in 8ft or so size sections.

I'd like to add a grapple to it, but with a quick attach bucket or 3rd function I'm looking at about $2,500 to swap over to that setup minus grapple.

I can get a Mahindra 2660 HST for around $10,000-$12,000 more than what a used version of my tractor is selling at currently. It will need the grapple and 3rd function, but would come with a quick attach, rear remotes, and about 20% more PTO power than what I have now. Plus more loader and lift capacity.

I'm just worried the Mahindra won't be as refined as what I have now. The Mahindra is the brand that appeals to me because of the lack of DPF. Trying to decide if I should upgrade now, take the farm tax credit for the next few years, or upgrade what I have then by a power shuttle 65hp+ in 5 or so years while keeping the 45 for the smaller stuff.
Fluid in the rear wheels,wheel weights and use a boxblade or counterweight in back should get the job done.