Show What Tool You Made*

/ Show What Tool You Made* #512  
For reasons others have said, and also selective logging in general. If you want to take just 1 or 2 specific trees for timber, sometimes (terrain considerations aside) it's better to anchor in place, and pull with a long winch-cable.

The big skidders etc. are great for clear cuts, but not if you want to minimize impact. Less common now, but horses were still used not that long ago, for similar reasons. In mountain ranges out west, they use helicopters, but most of us would need a lottery win (I know I don't need to explain airframe maintenance costs to you :)) to go that route.

Rgds, D.

Now around here for focused/selective cuts, they use one mule, or a two-mule team because they are so maneuverable, light impact, and can still pull a heckofa load out.

Some are run by Amish, some by Mennonites, and some by who knows what.

I watched them work at one of my neighbors' lots, and almost had them come over to take look at mine just so's I could watch them some more [and make a few $$'s] but SWMBO doesn't really want anyone logging on our property even sustainably- though I'm still working on changing her mind.

/ Show What Tool You Made* #513  
I guess you would call this a "construction tool" :)

My wife is making paper flower arrangements and one of her designs features a cross made of marbles epoxied together. She made a few the hard way of trying to line up the marbles on a table and asked me to come up with a better solution. This wooden jig is what I came up with.

I routed the grooves with a simple square bit on the router table, and installed screws where needed at the end and in the middle to adjust alignment and marble height.

Since the jig is tilted two directions from plumb at the same time one simply rolls down the first marble and applies a dab of epoxy. the cross arm is the same with the marble in the middle precisely positioned to intersect both lines of marbles. No fuss no muss, it makes the marbles automatically align in the right spot.

View attachment IMG_20170810_111706313.jpg

View attachment IMG_20170810_111734642.jpg

View attachment IMG_20170810_111754707.jpg

/ Show What Tool You Made* #514  
66" toothbar! Titan teeth on 1/2"x4" flat-stock. Time to tear up some property.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170808_071856.jpg
    20170808_071856.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 898
   / Show What Tool You Made* #515  
I guess you would call this a "construction tool" :)

My wife is making paper flower arrangements and one of her designs features a cross made of marbles epoxied together. She made a few the hard way of trying to line up the marbles on a table and asked me to come up with a better solution. This wooden jig is what I came up with.

I routed the grooves with a simple square bit on the router table, and installed screws where needed at the end and in the middle to adjust alignment and marble height.

Since the jig is tilted two directions from plumb at the same time one simply rolls down the first marble and applies a dab of epoxy. the cross arm is the same with the marble in the middle precisely positioned to intersect both lines of marbles. No fuss no muss, it makes the marbles automatically align in the right spot.

Pretty slick.. Looks good

/ Show What Tool You Made* #517  

518177d1502384818-show-what-tool-you-made-20170808_071856-jpg

It looks like it would do it!:thumbsup:

/ Show What Tool You Made* #518  

518177d1502384818-show-what-tool-you-made-20170808_071856-jpg

Maybe turn those bolts around so that the threads are to the inside of the bucket. Then you won't be tearing up something you are working beside. It will also make the bar easier to remove should you so desire, as the threads won't get gibbled as quick.

Nice job btw!

/ Show What Tool You Made* #519  
Yeah, that was temporary so I could cut off the excess threads flush to the nut easily then turn them around. Tomorrow, I am welding angle iron to the top and three 3/8" chain hooks. 😎

/ Show What Tool You Made* #520  
This is a great thread. I picked up some ideas from the posters. One thing i like is homemade tools. Working on general aviation airplanes it is almost a requirement to make special tools. Buying store bought is expensive as many things aviation is expensive. So I have amassed quite a number of aviation special tools.

Here are some I've made for working firewood. Removable table for log spliter. Modified cattle feeder into firewood rack. Hookaroon and can't hook for working logs and rounds.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 195
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 195