Side by side UTV's

/ Side by side UTV's #21  
I have had a 4000 for a year now!

Plain, comfortable, quiet and a real workhorse.

Only regret is not buying it sooner.

/ Side by side UTV's #22  
I solved the LOUD problem by buying a Polaris electric. I like it a lot. My overall impression of the entire Polaris lineup is that they are very well engineered for their intended use - not over or under, they have the best/smoothest ride, they are among the most expensive, and they have very high replacement parts costs.

I also strongly considered several of the Kawasaki Mules, and both Kubotas (900 & 1100). Eddie is absolutely correct - an in-person visit and test ride is extremely important.

/ Side by side UTV's
   / Side by side UTV's
I solved the LOUD problem by buying a Polaris electric. I like it a lot. My overall impression of the entire Polaris lineup is that they are very well engineered for their intended use - not over or under, they have the best/smoothest ride, they are among the most expensive, and they have very high replacement parts costs.

I also strongly considered several of the Kawasaki Mules, and both Kubotas (900 & 1100). Eddie is absolutely correct - an in-person visit and test ride is extremely important.
I forgot about the Kawasaki line. I'll add it to the list. My biggest problem now is the dealer network...all of the "majors" (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) are a long drive away and in separate directions...guess it will be a full day of shopping for me. I did look at some of the specs and am amazed at the "curb weight"...probably have to get a new trailer also. I can get onto the trails within 2 miles and our hunting spot is 10 miles away but I don't think my 5.5x10 utility trailer is rated for that weight.

/ Side by side UTV's #25  
We have been very happy with our JD 825. Use it more than I thought we would. Like a miniature dump truck. Only complaint is leg room at wheel wells.

/ Side by side UTV's #26  
As some others have mentioned you will find more uses for the UTV than you anticipated. I bought a used Bobcat 2200. Made by Clubcar....polaris makes the bobcat now. I bought mine for work. I have driven it all over my land. Some of the terrain is rough and debris covered from recent logging. No problems negotiating the obstacles. The payload on this thing is amazing. I have had well over 1000 lbs of cement bags on the back of it with no issues at all, and it has an electric dump bed. I can not say how nice it is to only touch debris and rocks once instead of twice. No way I would ever be without one again.

/ Side by side UTV's #27  
Some people have UTV's for work and do nothing but that with them. We purchased one for trail work some 10 years and would not be without one today. Here is the review I did of the latest one we got, a can-am Defender HD10.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/355357-can-am-2016-defender-hd10.html

As some others have mentioned you will find more uses for the UTV than you anticipated. I bought a used Bobcat 2200. Made by Clubcar....polaris makes the bobcat now. I bought mine for work. I have driven it all over my land. Some of the terrain is rough and debris covered from recent logging. No problems negotiating the obstacles. The payload on this thing is amazing. I have had well over 1000 lbs of cement bags on the back of it with no issues at all, and it has an electric dump bed. I can not say how nice it is to only touch debris and rocks once instead of twice. No way I would ever be without one again.

/ Side by side UTV's #28  
I wouldn't call anything with a snowmobile belt drive tranny, a tractor with a bed. You will pay dearly if you use it as such. And I mean DEARLY!

I put a (mild) lift kit and kevlar tires on my Mule. Those OEM dinky tires and poor clearance make the thing all but useless in anything more then a little snow. I may be damaging the driveline prematurely in doing this as well.

It's true though. A cruising around machine isn't usually the same as a work machine. You forgive some noise on a work machine, but not if you want to enjoy nature.

Sadly, now that I have an E-Gator, the Mule sits parked, collecting garbage in the bed. It will come back into it's own, when a little snow comes our way.

/ Side by side UTV's #29  
The Arctic Cat trail is a 50" wide machine and thus will be allowed on all park trails and state areas since it's no wider than most full size 4 wheels.

It has a lower center of gravity and drives great. It's sporty and faster than most all side by sides.

Not really a work machine but a winch can be added and the small bed on the back is plenty for a days worth or gear and being a little smaller it fits on any 5x10 trailer or a long bed pickup with gate down.

If you want utility AC makes a great prowler as well.

I love my AC Trail and it's super easy to drive and is rocket fast and has great suspension and won't beat you up.

The dash had a nice digital display with lots of info available. wildcat3.jpeg

It also fits inside my van!
20151107_082613.jpeg

/ Side by side UTV's #30  
I have the Mule 610XC and works well for me. I use it mostly to haul for projects, or while hunting, but if you are going to be traveling longer distances, the 25 mph limit may be a factor. It is a bit slow, but capable, and I am too old to need to go zipping around anyway!

Deciding factors for me were size, price, and reliability. The nice thing about the 610 is it will still fit in bed of pickup when I don't want to mess with trailering. The price was very attractive, and it had good reviews and a good warranty.

Downside in my experience - speed is limited, and the ride is rougher than some others I've driven. Again, around my property these aren't huge factors, but if you are going to be traveling miles of trails, could be a consideration.

The upsides I didn't consider before purchase - comparatively my Mule is quieter than most of the others I've been around. The smaller size means pretty nimble, and I've yet to get stuck or high-centered, even in my pretty rough part of Texas. And the Mule is pretty simple - not a lot of bells and whistles, but fewer things to break - I call it utilitarian!