skidding logs

/ skidding logs #101  
APPARENTLY, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR YOU WOULDNT ASK FOR ADVICE---THE BEST ADVICE IS TO PAY SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING TO SKID THEM OUT OF THE WAY OR OUT FOR A SAWMILL TO BUY....IT WILL BE FAR CHEAPER THAN TEARING UP YOUR MACHINE, HURTING SOMEONE OR YOURSELF, OR PAYING A WRECKER TO WINCH YOUR TRACTOR OUT OF A MUDDY DITCH OR THE RIVER...A PROFESSIONAL WITH A LOG SKIDDER AND HIS OWN INSURANCE WILL HAVE THIS DONE SAFELY IN NO TIME.
Yes, because the OP just wanted a $15K tractor and loader so it could sit in his garage/barn and look cool. Heaven forbid that he put it to work and let it earn its keep.

/ skidding logs #102  
I have a skidding winch. Not only is it a great tool to move the logs out of the woods, but even better is the 160 feet of cable to pull the logs to the trail.
That long cable means I don't have to cut small trees or risk my tractor tires on those small stumps while getting the tractor close to the log.
I also use the skidding winch to pull Mulberry, Autumn Olive and other unwanted trees out of fence rows. In spring or fall when the soil moisture is good, the trees come out roots and all. I just pulled out a 5 inch diameter Mulberry last weekend. It came out fairly easily and did not disturb the grass in his parture at all.
If we'd used the tractor with a chain we may not have gotten it put and likely the tires would have chewed up a lot of grass.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT