skidding logs

/ skidding logs #92  
I think that for those who are not willing or want to drop coin on fancy smancy forestry winch setup. A 3 point logging tong setup is cheap and easy, together with a possible solution like this with a heavy set of wheels and an arch like construction was on my mind. But my fabrication skills are not up to this level quite yet.

View attachment 826101
Man! I would love one of those right now. I've got a dozen hemlock sections that I could like to move about a mile down the way to a neighbor with a band saw mill just to get a stock of 1 inch boards out of. Not worth the price of a log truck, And too far to carry cross wise on the bucket .
That and a half dozen of them need to go across the grass yard. Not looking good to the wife on that front ;-)

/ skidding logs #93  
Man! I would love one of those right now. I've got a dozen hemlock sections that I could like to move about a mile down the way to a neighbor with a band saw mill just to get a stock of 1 inch boards out of. Not worth the price of a log truck, And too far to carry cross wise on the bucket .
That and a half dozen of them need to go across the grass yard. Not looking good to the wife on that front ;-)
Just go buy one. Or pick up a bandsaw and do it yourself. I am always willing to tell other people how to spend their money. Meanwhile I am taking a week off this month to cut wood so that I can pay myself back for some of my own toys! :)

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / skidding logs #94  
Just go buy one. Or pick up a bandsaw and do it yourself. I am always willing to tell other people how to spend their money. Meanwhile I am taking a week off this month to cut wood so that I can pay myself back for some of my own toys! :)
At this point in my life, I don't see the sense in spending $1000=$3000 so I can work my butt off for $250 worth of hemlock boards.

I've got a 1000bdfof hardwood stacked and stickered that I can't see using in my lifetime.

/ skidding logs #96  
NOW I CAN TURN CAP LOCK OFF... Thanks to everyone else that contributed to this thread. like I said in my last post everything went smooth and all of the logs are banked up waiting to be hauled to the mill.

Glad to hear that you got some good advice from those who have actually used similar equipment to get the same type of work done you were asking about, and that you were able to get done what you needed to. While it's good to use some caution and seek out advice when trying something different, sometimes you also need to know when to ignore those who feel the need to be insulting when they know absolutely nothing about you or your level of experience

/ skidding logs #97  
Here is a fairly small logging arch, built to handle a 25" by 16' log. Started off for a 2wheel BCS tractor, but I also made the hitch so I can pull it with a regular tractor or a truck(slowly) I usually use tongs to lift, but I can also use chains or chokers. Built the arch out of 2" tube, old trailer hubs and leftover tires/wheels. Just a hand winch on top, I think I'm on the second one so far( I tend to try to pick up stuff that may be too heavy)
I now have a Farmi winch, but the arch is still useful.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 64
   / skidding logs #98  
I once used a middle buster, mounted backwards with the blade removed to bring out an 8 cord load of tree length fir, using 3 chokers hooked into grab hooks mounted on the implememt. It worked very well,except that I had to back up to each tree.

/ skidding logs #99  
I once used a middle buster, mounted backwards with the blade removed to bring out an 8 cord load of tree length fir, using 3 chokers hooked into grab hooks mounted on the implememt. It worked very well,except that I had to back up to each tree.

I've removed the bucket from the scrape bucket from time to time and used the arches to lift the log butts using chains.

Attachments

• 1696987044738.png
    1696987044738.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
   / skidding logs #100  
I've removed the bucket from the scrape bucket from time to time and used the arches to lift the log butts using chains.
Anything to get the end of the log up is helpful. My winch works best for me, yet a lot of people including the OP can't justify that expense.