skidding logs

/ skidding logs #81  
Why not simply push them off to side of the trail to rot? If someone wants them for firewood they're welcome to cut & haul away.
That's what I do.

/ skidding logs #82  
That is a great way to move logs without a lot of "new equipment". I've been doing it for years.

If things get dicey, just drop the load.

It's not rocket science!
Thats the way I've been doing it. The saftey is always in pre-planning to drop the load. Just drop the load and re-pick when neccessary.

/ skidding logs #83  
using a quick hitch and tongs.
Looks doable. I've been using the arm for the post hole auger. I use some 1/4 on 5/16 chain to drag logs about with the 4 x 4 and found I can 'thread' it trough the hole meant to hold the auger in place and lift an end and drag the log - up hill so far ' to where I section and split them. I am using a Kubota B7800 tractor with loaded rea tires and I've been able to drag logs up to about 18" diameter and roughly 11 feet. They are tough to lift very high - but I only need to get the cut end/edge up enough to make it work.

I think it is not designed for lifting too much weight - but an amatuer and just don't know.

The togs might do, but a pair large enough for the Walnut I dealt with would be pretty expensive and heavy.

/ skidding logs #84  
I wrap a log chain around the frame of a 3 pt hay spear and have pulled a 32" x 23' green red oak log up a grade with an RK55. I needed to fill the bucket to keep the front end down. Most of what I pull is smaller and longer and down hill. I've never had a log push me. It surprises me how much a tractor will drag. If your 3 pt will lift it, the tractor should pull it.

/ skidding logs #85  
That is a great way to move logs without a lot of "new equipment". I've been doing it for years.

If things get dicey, just drop the load.

It's not rocket science!
Exactly, I'd have thought it would drop like a stone - er, log!

/ skidding logs #87  
Looks doable. I've been using the arm for the post hole auger. I use some 1/4 on 5/16 chain to drag logs about with the 4 x 4 and found I can 'thread' it trough the hole meant to hold the auger in place and lift an end and drag the log - up hill so far ' to where I section and split them. I am using a Kubota B7800 tractor with loaded rea tires and I've been able to drag logs up to about 18" diameter and roughly 11 feet. They are tough to lift very high - but I only need to get the cut end/edge up enough to make it work.

I think it is not designed for lifting too much weight - but an amatuer and just don't know.

The togs might do, but a pair large enough for the Walnut I dealt with would be pretty expensive and heavy.
You can't just use hvy duty chain with a hook on the end? It'd be a bit of work tunneling it under the end you're lifting but I would think it would offer similar lifting/dragging dynamics to tongs.

/ skidding logs #88  
I think that for those who are not willing or want to drop coin on fancy smancy forestry winch setup. A 3 point logging tong setup is cheap and easy, together with a possible solution like this with a heavy set of wheels and an arch like construction was on my mind. But my fabrication skills are not up to this level quite yet.

1696868870704.png

/ skidding logs #89  
I think that for those who are not willing or want to drop coin on fancy smancy forestry winch setup. A 3 point logging tong setup is cheap and easy, together with a possible solution like this with a heavy set of wheels and an arch like construction was on my mind. But my fabrication skills are not up to this level quite yet.

View attachment 826101
Might be time to push the envelope, fabrication wise....

/ skidding logs #90  
You can't just use hvy duty chain with a hook on the end? It'd be a bit of work tunneling it under the end you're lifting but I would think it would offer similar lifting/dragging dynamics to tongs.
Right.The chain is slid under the log, brought up around it and hooked to itself - forming a noose. "Tunneling" under the log, when it's flat on the ground is often accomplished by sliding a branch where you'd like to put the chain. The sma diameter of the flexible (green) branch makes it rather easy to bore a 'tunnel' large enough to slip my chain through - only need about a 1" diameter hole. Then use the branch/stick to push teh hook and chain through. Remember, a 24" diameter log is only tangent to the ground for a short distance (technically one point) so it ain't like boring for a highway or RR!