Buying Advice Small tractor needed for mowing help needed

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #11  
Clearing snow from a 1/2 mile gravel lane in winter sounds like the worst of what you'll encounter. Any significant amount of snow would make that a real chore and take hours, only to be repeated every time the wind causes drifting. Lots of people in snow country keep an old beater 4x4 pickup with a plow just for winter... something to consider.

Winter aside, you can go with something like an old Ford or Ferguson for your property and stay within your budget. If you are a careful shopper, you can find one in respectable condition, but be prepared to tinker and fix once in a while... anything built in the 1950's is bound to need some TLC. It won't have all the nice features of newer equipment, of course, but it will still work for what you need. Good news is that parts are plentiful and reasonable, and they are pretty simple to work on. Probably have to hold off on the loader, though. Some of those old tractors had early loader attachments, but the front axles weren't designed to carry the weight and they didn't have power steering!

When your budget allows, you can move up to a modern, diesel 4x4 tractor. You'll think you died and went to heaven!

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #12  
1st off, pretty part of the country up there.
2nd, scanning craigslist like I like to do I always see a lot more small tractors for sale in N. Arkansas, S. MO than we do down here so you are in a good place for both dealers and private parties. There is a nice looking JD 4200 with loader, finish mower and blade for sale in the Springfield craigslist that would fit the bill for you but is not within the $7,000.

Does where you will mow have a lot of trees or things to turn around?
A decent zero turn mower would get your mowing done and would be fast and easy to use and within your budget then hire out the grading until you find what you want / need / afford in a tractor. Just food for thought.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #13  
We had tornadoes last week and this week 4 days of rain the water in the slue had over run and I had to wade though it as it was up to my knees.

I have been looking at under 25HP due lack of experience and did not want to get some thing too big but understand the need for a little extra HP.

Same here, we have pond levees that have been topped and are washing pretty bad, you can put a VW in one of the washouts and others are pretty bad, it is going to take me a lot of dirt and rock to repair them when the weather clears if they don't blow completely.

My brothers have to keep a truck on both sides of a wash out and walk a plank to get across out where they live about six miles from me on one of our other farms. We are expecting more rain today and tomorrow.

A tractor under 25 HP will get the job done, it will just take longer.

As per another poster, I used an old Ford NAA for years until I could afford something better. Both of my brothers still use the old Fords and an old Case, but they don't mind tinkering with them. I can't walk very far anymore, so I had to give up on them. They are still running strong though.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #14  
I have been looking at under 25HP due lack of experience and did not want to get some thing too big but understand the need for a little extra HP.

Greetings from down I-44 in NE Oklahoma :D I'm a newly-minted tractor owner myself, having just bought a Cub Cadet Yanmar SX3100 a month ago. I have 3 flattish acres to mow and a 150-yard driveway to keep clear of snow in the winter, and I also do a little earth moving and minor other jobs. The SX3100 with 30 hp isn't hard at all to handle, and it does what I ask of it with ease. Don't let the hp rating mislead you - in fact, I'll repeat what my dealer told me, more or less:

Eventually, you'll find the limits of your tractor. A bigger one will let you go longer before that happens.

I got a good deal on my tractor, because it was a 2010 model with 2 hours on the clock (this particular model is much more popular in the NE US) and because I paid cash. Doing the latter can get you a discount - be sure to ask! Good luck whatever you buy :D

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed
Same here, we have pond levees that have been topped and are washing pretty bad, you can put a VW in one of the washouts and others are pretty bad, it is going to take me a lot of dirt and rock to repair them when the weather clears if they don't blow completely.

TripleR what do you mean by a VW ? sorry city boy (just going down to go look at the creek now to see how much water is in it)

Perplexed I just saw the SX3100 what does one of them run at 20k ? looks very nice does the drive on deck come as standard ?

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #16  
Perplexed I just saw the SX3100 what does one of them run at 20k ? looks very nice does the drive on deck come as standard ?

About $19500 to 20K is the MSRP, I believe. That includes the FEL, though with the ongoing free loader deal (or 0% financing, take your pick), I'd guess the sticker would be considerably less. The drive-on mower with a 60" deck is not part of that price. I think they run around $3,300 for the DO mower; that cost, plus the fact I want to mow a wider swath with each pass, compelled me to opt for a cheaper but still stout 72" rear finish mower.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #17  
TripleR what do you mean by a VW ? sorry city boy (just going down to go look at the creek now to see how much water is in it)

Sorry, I am an old guy and VW can only mean one thing, Volkswagen, particularly the old Beetle. I loved those things, I drove one my brother pieced together out of parts he had around his garage. It was red, dark blue and gray I think; maybe an orange fender.

I was thinking a bug but I was thinking it was some sort of farm term :)

I have just walked down the drive and inspected the rain damage lots of wash out and down to mud on some of the drive way. The dry creek bed is still flowing and I wish it would all year but I am sure I will need to get down there and clean it out by hand once the water dries up. We have 3 small lakes in one part of the drive but lucky my neighbor has said he will give me some creek gravel to fill them. If I am lucky I might get some more tractor and bucket experience from him if he lets me do some of the work.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #19  
Just saw today a JD 850 4wd w/ loader for sale on Little Rock craigslist listed today.
I know nothing about this tractor, just passing it along. It is in your price range. Ad said it was in Ozark, AR, so shouldn't be too far from you.

Thanks Dusty I think I need to start looking over at the AK Craigslists as it seemed to have quite a few nice tractors. After lots of talk about HP I am thinking maybe I do need to stay around 30HP it was also what my father in law also recommended to go with when he looked at the land. I also saw a New Holland TC30 as well and a few other nice ones.