Buying Advice Small tractor needed for mowing help needed

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #21  
I live in SE Mo. and in the foot hills. I think you are right with the 25 to 30 HP range. I made sure I got tires loaded and set the rears out as far as they would go. A lot of differents in the feel of the tractor. I have 3 kubotas and on the bx2660 I put wheel spacers on. Around my place it just didn't feel good with my rears coming off the ground sometimes. The rears are also loaded, I know the tires are small but ever little bit helps.
Good luck looking and drive what ever you go with. Don't go looking and thinking you need it today, take your time.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #22  
If your place is, as you mentioned, hilly 4 wheel is a must reason being breaking downhill with FEL installed. Even when the FEL is empty it decrease traction of the rear wheels and the tractor would slide downhill. If 4 wheel drive is engaged all four wheels will brake. The same is true when climbing uphill two wheel drive will slip while in four wheel drive the front wheels will pull you up. Of course you can put weight on the three point of two wheel drive but four wheel drive is definitely safer to operate on hills.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #23  
If mowing is your primary then don't load your tires that will cause ruts in spring and fall. If front loader work is the primary purpose then figure on something else to mow with.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #24  
or get easy to remove weights.. like bolt on or hang on jobs.

soundguy

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed
I was thinking of using suit case weights and then putting them on when I did need to run up and down the hill or the loader.

I have seen a few nice tractors but not all of them have loaders. A loader looks like it will go from about 2 to 3k and up. Is there a second hand market for loaders ? Do people ever upgrade them or part them out.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #26  
I'm a Bobcat guy, so consider the source. They are running a deal on their new 4wd tractors that included a free loader. Add a rear finish mower and you could be in business with new equipment for about 16-17 grand.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #27  
I was thinking of using suit case weights and then putting them on when I did need to run up and down the hill or the loader.

I have seen a few nice tractors but not all of them have loaders. A loader looks like it will go from about 2 to 3k and up. Is there a second hand market for loaders ? Do people ever upgrade them or part them out.

Doesn't happen very often since most people find the loader is the most useful thing on the tractor, often unexpectedly so. They throw away their wheelbarrows and carts as they don't need them any more. Sometimes you find an old loader on Craigs because the tractor carrying it died of old age and somebody thought the loader would sell, but you need to have time to monkey around and maybe fix it to make it fit another tractor.

Well I have been keeping my eye out in the papers and online, I am looking at a Cub Cadet but its only 27HP and 2WD or a Yanmar 31HP and it 4x4. But who ever imported it has not refurbished it that well as they have not added some of the normal safety features that some grey market importers do.

So not sure if the Cub Cadet is the one to go with should be easy for the wife to use but no 4x4 and its a sub compact.

/ Small tractor needed for mowing help needed #29  
and easier to get parts and service for and newer...

soundguy

Well i went for the CC its 27HP and has a FEL 700 hours and a brush hog. I am looking to try and get a finish mower as the bush hog does not cut the grass as nice as my wife would like :)

I do have a small leak on the bottom PTO and maybe a small leak some where near the front that I will try and find the cause of.

My father inlaw gave me a few driving lessons. I am going to go out and try and bush hog along the drive tomorrow. I was going to put the FEL down to try and catch any large rocks.

Any advise or safety hints would be great I will keep the brush hog up high on the first pass if I start to slip should I try and put the bucket down in to the ground ?.