So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live?

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #11  
Crime and corruption would be rampant anywhere there are lots of people I suppose. In a total breakdown the existing order of politicians as elected leaders, police, prosecutors, functioning courts with judges, etc. would be greatly reduced leaving a power vacuum. People abhor a power vacuum just like nature abhors a vacuum. I would expect to see the rise of local warlords complete with militias. Similar to gangs virtually controlling some of our more lawless city regions and social strata now.

Maine is doable and we like it well enough. We live 10 miles from a 7,000 pop. county seat town that has a small university branch, decent hospital and enough stores for basic needs. It really helps if you enjoy winter activities, or at least don't mind long winters.

I don't think Maine would be one of the easiest places to subsist due to the long winters. We have 18-24 inches of snow on the ground now. Food foraging is difficult in deep snow when everything is dormant anyways. :laughing:

If depending on pasture for meat and dairy animals; there is no pasture to speak of from mid-November to mid-May. The growing season is 90-95 days, I usually don't plant seeds in the garden with more than an 85 day maturity.

Those obstacles are surmountable at a cost of the extra labor putting up enough to get through winter for both people and livestock. The risk is a bad growing season could make people desperate pretty quickly. It wasn't uncommon for people to lose their wheat and barley crops to fungus in a wet, cool summer.

Even with Maine's sparse population I think the wildlife food sources would be decimated pretty quickly. Deer and moose would become very rare. The rivers and lakes would get fished out. Without state hatchery stocking and enforcement of limits/rules they would be fished out now.

Plenty of water. Abundant wood for fuel but that's very labor intensive without modern tools. Apples for food, vinegar and hard cider are abundant. Sugar maple for sweetener. Various wild berries. Potatoes, carrots, peas and beans do well here. We usually manage to keep salad greens going most of the summer. Tomatoes, pumpkin, squash, onion, eggplant, cabbage, broccoli--all of those can be grown here--if a person had the seeds.

All in all, my guess is if the grocery store closes a person could work themselves to death just to survive here. I think you would have to really know what you are doing to make it and a lot of that skill and knowledge is gone.

There is not that much difference between Maine and Vermont. Both have to sort out law and order and protecting those growing a food crop. But to those expecting to get healthcare at the 2012 standard 'forgetaboutit" You might get a broken leg set or an appendectomy cerica 1960 but knee replacements and heart transplants willbecome a thing of the past except fore the very rich.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #12  
FARM 016 - Copy.jpg HPIM0531 - Copy.JPG

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #13  
Where I'm at right now.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #14  
These guys always seem to be rural landlubbers that don't understand or appreciate the benefits of living in a port nor the support of a community. Or at least the ones who write these books, anyway. They seem to be "mountain redoubt" kinds of guys.

I'm stockpiling motor oil and booze, I'll be good....

Last edited:
   / So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #15  
It would appear I live in the state ranked #1. Trust me there is one big drawback- - - - water! It does not rain a lot, especially where I live. (30 miles west of Salt Lake City) I would like to move up to one of the mountain valley's, little cooler-shorter growing season but better air quality. The winter air inversion we get sucks bad. However I like the fact I can shoot my shotgun out my back door and no one would say a word. ( I do not live in any city limits) I love to ride snow machine's ( 800 Pro RMK ) and Utah has some great powder.
I don't care what any one says about Hawaii. I have been there several time and love it. :thumbsup:

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #16  
I'd like living in a place with shelter, good food, adaquate clothing, health care, political stability and nice views.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #18  
I went through this back in the late 90's when my parents both retired. Seeing them adjust to life without having to work got me to thinking of where I wanted to be when I retired. They moved out of the SF Bay Area to the base of the Sierra Nevada Mtns near Jackson and Sacramento into what they thought was going to be their dream home. As more guys that I worked with retired, and then quickly died, I started looking more seriously on where I wanted to end up. Then one day it dawned on me that the value of a house was way overpriced and my little house was rising in value far above what it was worth. The company I worked for was also making some very bad decisions and it was obvious that it wouldn't last much longer. Every year I was traveling around to different Western States on hunting trips, and also looking into areas to move to. My thinking of where to live when I retired had changed to feeling that I needed to take advantage of the housing bubble before I lost out and that I really didn't want to spend another 20 years of my life just waiting to retire so I could enjoy my life.

What I wanted was a place that I could start out fresh and feel comfortable that the local economy was strong enough that I could make money. Crime is really bad in CA where I'm from, and I wanted a place that I felt safe and didn't have to drive past three malls to the safe one, or past five grocery stores to the one where it was unlikely to get mugged. My dream has always been to own some land. Ten acres was all I wanted. I also wanted to be in a place where there was very little government controlling everything you do. Most people in CA violate the law every time they do something on their house. I wanted to be in a place where no only could you do what you wanted to your house, but it was also considered crazy to think that those in office would think it was their place to interfere.

I found all that and then some in East Texas. Once I zeroed in on Texas and learned how Conservative of a state it is, I then started looking around for a place where I could earn a living, or if I failed, fall back on going to work somewhere and live off of minimum wage until I was ready to try again.

I bought my first house in Tyler for $30,000 that was bigger and nicer then the one I sold in CA for $370,000!!!! I sold it a few months later for $90,000 and kept doing that for a few years, then I bought some land, cleaned it up, sold off most of it to pay for the 68 acres I live on now. I built a small house and as I built up my business, I worked on the land. Every year has been better then the last one, and I'm now making double what I used to in CA and everything is paid for. Taxes are less, gas is less and my quality of life is night and day better.

I sometimes think I might have one more move in me, but I'm really not sure. With every improvement that I make here, the harder is is going to be to pack up and move somewhere else. Wyoming has always been at the top of my list, but I don't care for the cold, so that probably wont happen. The TX Hill Country is absolutely beautiful, and maybe where I will go next. Karen feels that Kentucky and Eastern OK is worth a look if we ever retire.

Everything is always for sale, so it will all depend on what somebody wants to pay for this place if we will ever move or not.

Eddie

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #19  
I think the problem with Hawaii is that one could have a major volcanic eruption on the big island or even nearby which could make the quality of life so bad for so long that most of the inhabitants may have to be evacuated. Similar to what could happen at Yellowstone, but Yellowstone would affect a larger area.

In addition, you have gun laws not far behind what one has in DC. I'm sure it is nice to visit, but Im also sure it is a tough place to live for a person of average means,

The tax reference I'm sure relates to the fact that you would have to pay taxes to keep the property at least to the point that anarchy broke out. Taxes vary mightily by location and county and paying $500 to $1500 in taxes per month can be a serious budget challenge over the long term, especially for someone retired or living on a fixed income.

The worst are:
  1. Hawaii
  2. Florida
  3. Rhode Island
  4. Massachusetts
  5. New Jersey

Personally, I've never seen Hawaii on the list of "worst" ANYTHING, so I am already highly skeptical of his secret algorithms. :)

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #20  
Done a little looking around myself. Any land largely surrounded by ocean close to the equator. In an area situated away from the big tourist traps.

4 seasons mean crap to me. Give me late spring/early summer, year round. I like being comfortable, without spending a small fortune on clothes and snow removal in winter, as I do now, nor dying from heatstroke in the summer.