So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live?

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #21  
I'm in Harrisonburg/Rockingham county, taxes suck, schools suck, weather sucks. One day I think I will cut all ties and move back to the Philippines and live happly ever after sipping cold San Migal on a always warm beach by the South China Sea. Only draw back is those pesty Typhoons, earth quakes and vocanoes. Spent five years living in the Philippines and loved every day of it. The other draw back is all my inlaws live there and I don't want to be their ATM.

mark

I'm with you on that MJ. They have friendly people that speak English, and a low cost of living.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #22  
Retired from So. Calif. 12 years ago......had to get out of the rat race. We now have 6 acres on a hill....incredible views of the river and bay......elk everywhere.....5 rivers to kayak on within 20 minutes of our home......hardware and grocery stores within minutes.......a small hospital very close.....I hunt right out my back door......and I get to drive my tractor. Life is good.......

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #23  
Any location where my mother in law won't visit .............is a good location !

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #24  
   / So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #25  
Retired from So. Calif. 12 years ago......had to get out of the rat race. We now have 6 acres on a hill....incredible views of the river and bay......elk everywhere.....5 rivers to kayak on within 20 minutes of our home......hardware and grocery stores within minutes.......a small hospital very close.....I hunt right out my back door......and I get to drive my tractor. Life is good.......

That sounds really nice. Enjoy!

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #26  
Some of y'all boys are already in pretty good places I think. Wow, Ethyl and I have been going over this "where do we want to spend the rest of our lives" thing for a long time. Having lived in Japan for most of our married lives, we could very easily retire overseas. I canno' tolerate cold weather. Native Georgian, and love our summers! A few days ye canno' do much outside, but I go to our mountains then. Eddie, I like TEXAS too, except the flat desert places. I have friends from Tyler, but live in Mississippi now. I love the west that I've been too, which is all up and down California, Washington. I'd love Kalifornia, but canno' afford the good places there. Crime - that's the WORST thing about any potential place!! I'm too Irish not to fight back. Knuckahaids.

Marc, Philippines, eh? I love Cebu area. Been to PI many times, from Cebu all the way to Baguio in the north. I do not like that "Americans are our walking ATM" mentality though. Like an African friend told me in Nairobi one time, "Remember, you skin is the color of money here." I hate that low life mentality. Ok, back to USA. I'm in Mississippi now, but our retirement place is Georgia. But, we could sell out and move in a New York second. We've talked much about Thailand. Been there many times too and love it! Many expats there too for a good community life. Food, etc., great. In rural America, it's hard to find good food - never get far from a sandwich! Sandwich, sandwich, sandwich, get tired of that mess. America (except for NYC) is just about a food desert compared to Asia. Oh me, I canno' get away from Asia.

Okay, America: hmmm, Hattiesburg, MS is a great area! Not too far from gulf, good food, weather not bad, a university. Augusta, GA area (my hometown) is a great area! Check out Columbia County, Aiken County, SC (across the Savannah River), Lincoln County, McDuffie County, all great areas, and probably where we'll wind up. Then, use our travel trailer to go visit the rest of y'all boys! Hey, Eddie, did you ever fix a few RV sites? I'm a'coming...

Oh, by the way, I also have two great RV sites for y'all boys on me place! Come on down.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live?
If we're opening this dialog up for outside-the-good-ole-USA options, then I'd have to place a vote for Belize. Low cost of living, English speaking, beautiful scenery, low crime (for LatAm), and a solid health-care system.

Costa Rica is second, but without the "they speak English" part, which would be tough for us.

We've been to both and I could easily see living there, but I'm not sure I'd ever be able to get the "farmer vibe" that I like about our land here in VA. Maybe banana farming? Coffee?

I'm not sure there's a John Deere dealer in Belize, though...

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #28  
Where my Soul is content. I'm Blessed to be able to say that's where I am now.

All the criteria in the World doesn't matter if you are not at peace.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #29  
Now that's the truth, ovr! And, Missouri is nice too. I'll be there Monday, helping me future son-in-law do some building work. The rolling hills I've seen in Missouri are just beautiful. I could definitely retire there! I've looked a few times for land... I'd like to have at least 40 acres, a bit more better. With a pond for fishing, bit o' flat ground for garden, woods to hunt, oh me, Missouri is looking good. I'd just have to hook me trailer in cold month and head south...

Oh, and speaking of food, anybody else ever been to that French restaurant in Fordham? Wow!! Can you believe it? A Frenchman came to Fordham, MO with wife (from there I think) and they opened a French restaurant!! Man, that food is great! It's about 30 minutes east of Springfield off Hwy 60. Just go.

/ So, what's YOUR idea of the perfect place to live? #30  
Eddie Walker at #18 went the right way about it. You really need some land to be able to make sure that whatever happens you can produce enough food to survive. I am not into catastrophic end of the world scenarios, but I do not discount the possibility of a breakdown of modern services either. Personal safety is number one on my list and that means a country that is in the present day relatively crime free. Portugal fits the bill so far as that is concerned. A lot of people hunt and the police carry guns, but it is extremely rare to hear of any violence involving guns.

I have lived with minimal income for 40 years, but still managed to farm in England, Australia, Scotland and here. Like Eddie, we think we might have one more move left in us, but I also think there is no perfect place. If there was everybody would want to be there and it would soon not be perfect. When we become too old and decrepit we think we would like to fade away in the Scottish Highlands - but that would mean relying on somebody else for sustenance so it is a last resort.