Solar Eclipse...

/ Solar Eclipse... #41  
I thought about getting a pair of glasses but am still waffling. That would be a surefire way to ensure we have a major snow event that day.

Glasses are way better than a pinhole thing. Get some. Risk it.

/ Solar Eclipse... #43  
This video of the simulated path is pretty cool! We are in it and not sure how crazy we should get about posting no trespassing signs and blocking drives to farm ground etc. Not going to get to worried about it but did buy a role of no trespassing signs. 100 on a role... probably a futile attempt in the farm ground where there are no houses around. People will do what they want.

Last edited:
   / Solar Eclipse... #44  
Also,

Be careful where you get your glasses from, Amazon has some fakes out there I'm hearing.

This is supposedly a link to approved places to get them....
Suppliers of Safe Solar Viewers & Filters

We are here.

1711062396820.png

Last edited:
   / Solar Eclipse... #46  
Hey, you need to be out on March 25th FIRST to see the Blood Moon eclipse as well.

A penumbral lunar eclipse will take place on Monday, March 25, 2024. It will be visible to the naked eye as 95.57% of the Moon will be immersed in Earth’s penumbral shadow.
1711077719201.png

The moon will be full and white, as it passes behind the earth, it will blink for a moment to go invisible, then re-appear as a blood moon. This one has a full long time to remain red as March has the Spring Equinox.

1711077847563.png

Right at the end of the Blood Moon event, the devil comet will finally be able to be seen with the naked eye. It's returned after 71 years!

Look up into the night sky this month, and you’ll get a glimpse of a massive comet that could be visible to the naked eye.

According to Space.com, the comet 12P/Pons-Brooks, also known as the “devil comet,” will be visible to most people on Earth while it completes its 71-year orbit around the sun.

Known as an ice volcano comet, according to NASA, its passage near the sun prompts it to erupt from exposure to solar radiation, which cracks open large icy shells that deliver a show of ice and gas shooting out of the base, making the comet appear larger and brighter as it gets closer to Earth.
1711078066853.png

And the devil comet will also be seen during the eclipse ! Additionally, 7 of our planets will also be in alignment during the eclipse.

During the Great American Eclipse of 2024 on April 8th, the sun, the moon and the seven other planets in our solar system will all line up in the sky. It is almost as if the entire solar system will be screaming that this is a once in a lifetime event.

When I asked ChatGPT about a month ago to calculate the frequency that this line up of planets would happen, it responded with 1 in 19 million years. Because the moon and sun will also be aligned, I asked the frequency of this and it said 1 in 32 million years.

1711074382959.png

And some more facts!

The 2017 eclipse crossed over 7 cites named Salem. Salem is abbreviated for Jerusalem.
-Salem, Oregon
-Salem, Idaho
-Salem, Wyoming
-Salem, Nebraska
-Salem, Missouri
-Salem, Kentucky
-Salem, South Carolina

This 2024 eclipse will cross over 7 cities named Nineveh.
-Nineveh, Texas
-Nineveh, Missouri
-Nineveh, Indiana
-Nineveh, Ohio
-Nineveh, Pennsylvania
-Nineveh, Virginia
-Nineveh, New York

And 1 town called Jonah in TX, just outside of Austin.

The eclipse will also cross over a location named “Ninevah” in the province of Nova Scotia in Canada.
So that is why you sometimes see lists of “8 Ninevahs” on social media.

Within the crossing diameter of both paths, the Mississippi and Ohio rivers also meet. I heard there will be celebrations at the two rivers and fireworks.

1711074047547.png

There is one more thing about the month of April that I wanted to mention.

In April, 1.8 Trillion of 13-year cicadas and 17-year cicadas will start emerging from the ground simultaneously for the first time since Thomas Jefferson was president… going back to 1803. Crops and vegetation for over 16 states was wiped out in that given year.
1711075109240.png

Last edited:
   / Solar Eclipse... #47  
@bmaverick very interesting, thanks for sharing this!

/ Solar Eclipse... #48  
@bmaverick very interesting, thanks for sharing this!
Oh there are more oddities too.

Something that has not happened in 250 years is going on RIGHT NOW.

The Polar Vortex is spinning in the opposite direction for more than 24hrs. In fact it's been spinning for over 21 days in the reverse direction. This will play havoc on all kinds of weather this Spring and into Summer making temps very unbearable.

Normal direction shown,

1711075702099.png

“The vortex changed direction around March 4th,” reports Dr. Amy Butler, author of NOAA’s Polar Vortex Blog. “It was a substantial reversal, reaching -20.5 m/s a few days ago.”

Yet weeks later, it is still spinning backwards. What’s going on?

“Atmospheric planetary waves have been breaking in the polar stratosphere, increasing its temperature,” says Butler. “We call this a ‘Sudden Stratospheric Warming‘ event, and it can cause the vortex to change direction.'”

In recent years, many people have heard the phrase “polar vortex” because of the effect it can have on winter weather. When the polar vortex is strong and stable, it helps confine cold air to polar regions. When the vortex weakens or becomes disturbed, cold air spills out to lower latitudes.

This month’s backward vortex has *not* caused an outbreak of winter weather. Instead, it has produced a very strong increase in polar ozone. The ozone hole of the 80s and 90s is totally gone due to this event. Rather now the hole is a column wall over the north pole arctic region and 20 miles thick towards earth's surface.

The MetOffice has an article featuring Adam Scaiffe talking about this phenomenon and saying it is a one-in-250-years event.
The event will continue during the Blood Moon eclipse on March 25,2024.

1711076222666.png

/ Solar Eclipse... #49  
Again, my word of caution is use proper viewing glasses and they are free for the asking.

Retinal damage is almost always permanent. With our luck here, it will be overcast anyway.

I do a ton of welding in MIG and TIG and I'm always cognizant of arc flash however, a welding helmet or a pair of gas welding goggles won't provide proper protection.

Looks like the swath of total eclipse is quite narrow and passes directly over us here.
I am only seeing glasses for sale in my area

/ Solar Eclipse... #50  
Fingers cross for clear sky.